Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2024 12:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmarshall1]
Can't say I'm a fan at this point.  I have 2 and generally use them on my AR in 300 BO and bolt action(s) in 300 and 556.  Usually no more than a mag of aimed fire.  I used them for mirage control when shooting for groups.

Today I shot a couple of magazines out of an AR in 556.  60 shots total, first 30 were aimed shots, definitely not fast or any sort of mag dump, maybe 2/3 seconds between shots.  A little smoke but I figured it was burning off production material, gun oil etc...

I went inside and loaded a second mag and then did the same as before, the smoke got worse about 15 shots in and by round 20 it was smoking pretty good.

It didn't stop so I figured I'd better do something so I went inside and grabbed a silicone pot holder and removed it (sorry to my wife).

Anyway, the cover is now 'crunchy' when slightly squeezed, discolored on the ends, and slightly burnt.  The can was a DD Enticer Ti (raw Ti) and to my knowledge, raw Ti starts turning colors at 600/700 degrees.  There was one very small spot where it started to discolor, so in my (maybe wrong opinion) the can barely got to 600/700 degrees.

ETA: Per the info I can find, these are rated to 2,000 degrees.

However, the cover is now crunchy, some of the threads looks pretty burnt and shriveled, and although it's hard to tell, possibly burned through spots on the end of the cover.  But wait, there's more...

Apparently the tags they use ARE NOT heat resistant, so now I have a nice 1x1 black carbon burnt spot on my can.  I know, shoot it more, paint it, throw it down the driveway, how brave am I etc...

Am I using this cover in the wrong manner?  I was under the impression these aren't made for mag dump but should be fine for some target shooting.

TLDR:

ETA: It seems more than a few of us have these, most comments state these are for (very) light use/burn protection and I agree.  For those that haven't yet... if you care about your suppressors finish, cut the inside tag off, all of it. For some of us the melted tag will just be added character.

While you're at it, may as well remove the outside tag as well if you're using it in any other capacity than light duty, it will melt as well.  Had my tags not melted likely I would not have posted.  It doesn't make sense to me to have a '2,000 degree' capable suppressor cover but only a 500 degree tag ready to melt, but what do I know.  Mechanix could at least give us some guidance on use restrictions (like most silencer makers do).
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics...
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmarshall1] [#2]
PICS

It's hard to tell, but the one on the right is the one, it's now also about 1/4 inch shorter.

Second picture, bottom right is the amount if discoloration from heat, it's where the seam on the cover was.

I certainly cut the tag out of the one on the left.  The 1/2 melted tag on the one on the right is not what melted, there was a tag on the inside.  Most of the melted poly/nylon scraped off and this is what's left.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO they're garbage, but hey they were like $15.

I'd only use it on a cooler running PCC can or maybe a slow fire precision rifle type situation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t wanna take a Labradar out in the field. Xero makes it easy. BCA-10 with Enticer S Ti #guns

I have one on a DDC Enticer S Ti. Held up to 30rds of .308 in probably 10-15 minutes; never tried running this can fast yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#5]
Yeah i bought a couple too and after an afternoon of shooting my cans now have a nice ‘brown’ hue.

I bought them mainly to not burn my leg, freakin hurts to do that.  

Ignore the black spot on the can- just blacking out the SN

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chaas67:
Yeah i bought a couple too and after an afternoon of shooting my cans now have a nice ‘brown’ hue.

I bought them mainly to not burn my leg, freakin hurts to do that.  

Ignore the black spot on the can- just blacking out the SN

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137615/IMG_0163_jpeg-3222419.JPG

View Quote

I bought mine for the same reason, not to burn myself by inadvertently touching the can as well as heat mirage.  I don't consider 30 measured, aimed shots followed by 4-5 minutes of rest then another 15 shots of the same to be a cover-killer for something that's supposed to be tolerant for up to 2,000 degrees.  Now I know better.

@chaas67  I see the rectangle tag outline on yours as well

So, is how I used it totally out out of the realm for a can cover, or is the Mechanix cover not up to the task and a better/different one would have help up to a bit of slow fire.  I suppose my other cover will now be bolt gun duty only.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:

I bought mine for the same reason, not to burn myself by inadvertently touching the can as well as heat mirage.  I don't consider 30 measured, aimed shots followed by 4-5 minutes of rest then another 15 shots of the same to be a cover-killer for something that's supposed to be tolerant for up to 2,000 degrees.  Now I know better.

@chaas67  I see the rectangle tag outline on yours as well

So, is how I used it totally out out of the realm for a can cover, or is the Mechanix cover not up to the task and a better/different one would have help up to a bit of slow fire.  I suppose my other cover will now be bolt gun duty only.
View Quote

For reasonable rates of fire, I’ve had good luck with Coletac and Rauch Precision. For unreasonable rates of fire, Liberty’s Defense is the answer.

Suppressor Cover Overview/Coletac HTP Cover Review
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a couple of them on amazon for like $10. I don’t really like suppressor covers and only got them to keep from burning myself in an emergency and I consider the covers to be disposable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#9]
For $15 I like mine as a more it less disposable cover that perfectly fit my nomads. Have used it for while now with no problems, for relatively low rate of fire, I'll probably get another at some point.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:
For $15 I like mine as a more it less disposable cover that perfectly fit my nomads. Have used it for while now with no problems, for relatively low rate of fire, I'll probably get another at some point.
View Quote

Yep.  It isn't likely to be as bomb-proof as my Manta covers, but it also weighs about nothing and still protects my legs from getting scorched.  I pulled the tag off and ran a 30 round mag of M855 through my AUG/Explorr 224 w/ zero issues.  I will do two mags in a row the next time out but it has held up fine.  Admittedly, this is not abuse but I typically do not do a whole lot of sustained fire type shooting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

Yep.  It isn't likely to be as bomb-proof as my Manta covers, but it also weighs about nothing and still protects my legs from getting scorched.  I pulled the tag off and ran a 30 round mag of M855 through my AUG/Explorr 224 w/ zero issues.  I will do two mags in a row the next time out but it has held up fine.  Admittedly, this is not abuse but I typically do not do a whole lot of sustained fire type shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:

I'd be curious to know your results.  I'm going to say the vast majority of the smoking was the tag melting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I discovered this weekend mine is probably more appropriate for a bolt action
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I discovered this weekend mine is probably more appropriate for a bolt action
View Quote

Well, let's hear it, exactly what and how did you discover?
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got two or 3 of them now. One I use on a rex can on my 10.5 sig 516, it's held up without any issues to a few hundred rounds. The others have seen less rigorous use but have also been fine. Maybe I got a good batch? I did cut the tags off but otherwise they've been fine. For the price they're a bargain. The suppressor bags are handy too and are cheap as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top