Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2021 10:49:08 AM EDT
I have an 1887 clone (Chinese PW87) polished and smooth out and functioning great.  Five in the tube and one on the lifter and one in the chamber.

I
have gotten one takedown and one solid frame 1897 in full repair and working well, and done the changes to get six in the tube instead of five.  How reliable are they with one one the lifter in your experience ?

Does trimming the spring and shortening the follower in the 87s allow for six in the tube also?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I can fit 6 in the tube with some brands of 2 3/4 shells and others only allow 5. It functions fine either way. The test would be on the last round with the shortened spring to see if it has enough force to load the last round for the carrier to pick up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends. There is a guy who made a six shot followers and a special spring.

On the other hand I can fit 6 Federal promo shells in both of my legit trench guns. One is a WW1 solid frame the other is a WW2 takedown.

I can also fit 6 in the takedown I put together with original parts. My son is building a shooter with repo also and six fit in there.

I get wichester super target sometimes and its hit or miss if 5 or 6 fit. The super speed never has.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Nobel Sport makes a 2 inch "Minibuck" shell that reportedly works in most shotguns - not as short as Aguila mini shells just long enough for better reliability in most shotguns.

I wonder if those would add a few more rounds (2 or 3 more?)

Problem is finding any in stock anywhere!

Love the older guns!

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobel Sport makes a 2 inch "Minibuck" shell that reportedly works in most shotguns - not as short as Aguila mini shells just long enough for better reliability in most shotguns.

I wonder if those would add a few more rounds (2 or 3 more?)

Problem is finding any in stock anywhere!

Love the older guns!

View Quote

Thats pretty cool! They might be lower power as well which will be helpful for the 97. My old gun was made in 1899 and I try to shoot the lowest velocity 00 I can find just cause I'm not sure if the modern super hot 2 3/4 loadings will be a little too hot for it to handle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thats pretty cool! They might be lower power as well which will be helpful for the 97. My old gun was made in 1899 and I try to shoot the lowest velocity 00 I can find just cause I'm not sure if the modern super hot 2 3/4 loadings will be a little too hot for it to handle.
View Quote

A new model....mine is 1898
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A new model....mine is 1898
View Quote

Its a model 1897 but it was manufactured in 1899!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My spry young 1901 solid frame and 1911 take down is laughing at your old boomer guns in the left lane driving down the road 10mph below the speed limit with the left turn blinker on, after picking up a new checkbook at the bank, and early bird special supper at the cafe, hoping they get home in time for some Matlock and Golden Girls reruns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My spry young 1901 solid frame and 1911 take down is laughing at your old boomer guns in the left lane driving down the road 10mph below the speed limit with the left turn blinker on, after picking up a new checkbook at the bank, and early bird special supper at the cafe, hoping they get home in time for some Matlock and Golden Girls reruns.
View Quote

This perfectly describes my parents
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top