Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 10:36:31 PM EDT
I have a PVS14 setup and an ATPIAL C.  Did some shooting last night (less than 1/4 moon) with a 2/3 ISPC  steel.  100% hits at 125 yds, but if I did not know it was a steel target and not a pine tree I am not sure I would have fired.  The illuminator doesn't really do much at this range.  I think a yote moving would have jumped out.  What is the max distance you would take a shot at with the laser?  I am thinking hard about a MAWL.  I also have a stand alone IR light but was not using it last night.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the non game animals here are small dog size and smaller.
With PVS-14 without a magnifier, and IR laser, I only take shots in the wide open spaces out to maybe 35 yards on them.
The limits from laser bloom and 1X magnification unless I filter it heavily, make clean shots difficult on these small critters.
In fact, when I am after one for sound reason, I take a bright white light, sit in a hide, and light them up after I see them with NV or thermal. There's no reason to hide and white simply works better. There's no excuse for mistakes.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the best anecdotal evidence of an answer that I've seen.
Night Vision Hog Hunting - March
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a thing with hogs.

Everything else, I'll go for a kill/decent shot on it. 4 legged stuff gets a kill shot, if I managed to hit something flying, it gets taken care of as needed when it hits the ground.

Hogs on the other hand, they have destroyed enough land I don't feel bad about trying shots on them. I've found enough dead hogs, I"m really starting to think my 100 yard revolver skills are better than I think they are.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Hogs are just doing their thing.  Personally,  it does not justify gut shooting them and subjecting them to that kind of pain for the last few hours of their life.  But that’s just me.  Y’all do you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hogs are just doing their thing.  Personally,  it does not justify gut shooting them and subjecting them to that kind of pain for the last few hours of their life.  But that’s just me.  Y’all do you.
View Quote

Honestly, most of the hogs I've shot I'll find dead a lot closer than I planed on. I've tried to gut shoot one before, and I found it 15 yards from where I shot it. But that's what happens when your dad beats your ass for gun safety and marksmanship.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Honestly, most of the hogs I've shot I'll find dead a lot closer than I planed on. I've tried to gut shoot one before, and I found it 15 yards from where I shot it. But that's what happens when your dad beats your ass for gun safety and marksmanship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see this wasn't GD.  So I'll go ahead and admit my post had nothing to do with NV, should've just shut the fuck up and scrolled on.  My bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep shooting for as far as I can see them.  The issue isn't the distance at which id shoot, its the distance at which I can make absolutely 100% sure its a hog.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I get it.  I don't like animals to suffer either.  But it's about extermination, not sportsmanship.  I would never in a million years intentionally make an animal suffer more than it has to and I try to put them out of their misery as quickly as possible but a dead hog is a dead hog.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
something about knowing your target and whats behind it.......

if i cant ID what in the right fuck enables me to break the shot off lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I keep shooting for as far as I can see them.  The issue isn't the distance at which id shoot, its the distance at which I can make absolutely 100% sure its a hog.
View Quote

Which is what distance for those of us with zero experience?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a hugely variable question. If hogs are darker colored you can see them against the generally lighter colored background 500-600 yards out easy (depending on terrain), but IDing them can still be very difficult

I'm in the dead hog is a dead hog camp but as others have said I wouldn't take wild shots against other animals either, and I wouldn't risk a 300 yard shot if I wasn't 100% sure it was a hog. Could be something else, especially if it's a solitary pig and it's not worth the risk for me. My farthest thermal kill against a hog turned out to be 258 yards, but I was 100% sure it was a boar. With laser my longest has been around 125/150ish because of good terrain, solid ID and lack of other animals in the engagement area

A reasonable distance for me I'd generalize as 200 yards, but again, it depends on the terrain and conditions. Tall grass or wheat? No way. Bald ass open with a clear view and no other animals? Maybe yes

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thermal greatly increases the range.  I was asking more about with a PVS14 and maybe an illuminator.  I am going to go this weekend and use the TNVC Torch Pro illuminator to see the difference with the same steel target.  Need to invest a little time as well with my icotech and see if I can get something to come in.  Thermal is on my short list for next free cash flow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Me? Probably 150 yds with 300AAC. 175-200 with 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#16]
What ever the MPBR is for the cartridge and the size of the animal.  I don't want to do much holdover with a laser.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What ever the MPBR is for the cartridge and the size of the animal.  I don't want to do much holdover with a laser.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are humans considered non game? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

ID or shoot?

ID wise I can usually PID (enough to start shooting) at maybe 300 yards for Sounders and 150ish for singles with NV.  With thermal double that.

Shooting wise, once I start, I keep shooting until they make it to the trees, I can’t see them any more, or they are all dead.  Some fields can stretch 1k yds pretty easy.  It helps when you use a long range shotgun and you have dry plowed fields so you can see bullet strikes and walk the rounds in

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ID or shoot?

ID wise I can usually PID (enough to start shooting) at maybe 300 yards for Sounders and 150ish for singles with NV.  With thermal double that.

Shooting wise, once I start, I keep shooting until they make it to the trees, I can’t see them any more, or they are all dead.  Some fields can stretch 1k yds pretty easy.  It helps when you use a long range shotgun and you have dry plowed fields so you can see bullet strikes and walk the rounds in

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/EF2F3D42-3B73-4617-8723-7CBA75BB8A06-1790033.jpg
View Quote

I need somebody to build my RPD kit soooo bad! lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes you do

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
If the non-game is shooting at you, at any distance, I say engage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I mean, technically they're edible. Kinda
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you do

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/488159/20200918_081836_jpg-1790083.JPG

Why don’t I pay one of you bastards
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why don’t I pay one of you bastards
View Quote

There’s a decent amount of machining and lathe work that needs to happen to the bolt carrier, lower, barrel, and bolt flaps to get a semi build together.  The full auto ones and semi to full conversions are pretty easy.  The other way around is more involved.  If it were me I’d call two river arms out of OKC if project guns doesn’t work on them any more.

DSA has semi receivers right now.  You might want to grab one if you are doing a semi build.  They only do a run once a year it seems like. Will save you a decent amount of time machining and welding.

Project guns has a pretty decent overview of how to put a semi together:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJjCkjZaNKg5xljJPEwbRmnVqpv3J0za3

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

DSA has semi receivers right now.  You might want to grab one if you are doing a semi build.  They only do a run once a year it seems like. Will save you a decent amount of time machining and welding.

View Quote

Link?
They show OOS and I’ve been watching them for months
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if you have don’t have the proper tags. Lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There's a decent amount of machining and lathe work that needs to happen to the bolt carrier, lower, barrel, and bolt flaps to get a semi build together.  The full auto ones and semi to full conversions are pretty easy.  The other way around is more involved. If it were me I'd call two river arms out of OKC if project guns doesn't work on them any more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't I pay one of you bastards

There's a decent amount of machining and lathe work that needs to happen to the bolt carrier, lower, barrel, and bolt flaps to get a semi build together.  The full auto ones and semi to full conversions are pretty easy.  The other way around is more involved. If it were me I'd call two river arms out of OKC if project guns doesn't work on them any more.

Dang, that'd been handy to know before I sold my RPD kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top