Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2017 1:47:23 PM EDT
I have a Swedish Mauser that experienced an issue with the trigger.  I believe I have solved the problem, but I am looking for input on whether or not my fix was the correct thing to do, as well as any other relevant information.

I hadn't shot the Mauser (hereafter referred to as the "Broken Mauser") in some time (maybe over a year,) so I decided to take it out earlier this year.  I discovered that the 2-stage mechanism didn't seem to be working properly.  I had the expected light first stage pull, but then the gun would generally go off without encountering any second stage resistance, with the second stage mechanism working only sporadically.  Cleaning the trigger mechanism did not remedy the issue.  After looking at the trigger mechanism, I took into account what I saw, as well as what I know about adjusting K31 triggers, and began filing/sanding/polishing the front hump on the trigger.  This eventually resulted in the second stage returning.

However, I then discovered that if I pulled the trigger back to where the second stage begins, I could slip my finger under the cocking piece, pull up on it, and the striker would drop without the trigger being pulled any more.  I compared this to a properly functioning Swedish Mauser that I have (hereafter referred to as the "Reference Mauser"), and discovered that the Reference Mauser did not experience this issue.  I then went back to my tools and started filing/sanding/polishing both humps on the Broken Mauser so as to raise the trigger sear relative to the receiver and cocking piece.  After removing a sufficient quantity of metal from the trigger and doing some more fine tuning, as well as polishing the contact surfaces on the trigger, sear mechanism, and cocking piece, I now have a two stage trigger that is crisp, and that will not release the striker unless the trigger is pulled.

The only remaining outstanding issue is that the Broken Mauser trigger pull seems slightly heavier than that of my Reference Mauser.  I also noticed that the entire bolt assembly moves slightly as the Broken Mauser trigger is pulled, while with the Reference Mauser, only the cocking piece moves slightly as the trigger is pulled.  I am not sure if these issues are related.

I would like input on the validity of my fix, as well as any advice/input on the aforementioned outstanding issue.  As for what caused all of these issues, I am not sure.  As far as I can remember, the gun worked fine when I last shot it.  The only thing I did in the interim was to chemically remove the ugly glossy finish someone had applied to the wood, and apply a more correct oil finish to try to make it look more original.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say without pics, or looking at it for myself.

Not much to say other than the cause of nearly every Mauser type trigger problem is the result of Bubba improving it.  Normally, these are the most foolproof mechanisms out there.

Swedish trigger parts are plentiful and cheap online.  I'd start there if there is even a hint of a problem.

I have a 1903 with a trigger someone buffed.  One light touch, and the trigger would pull away from my finger and drop the sear.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to make a guess it sounds like you might have a trigger on "Broken" with poorly done heat treatment that has worn down over time. As the other poster said, parts are a dime a dozen. On the single most important part on the entire gun............just replace it. And unless you want it kept in original condition, replace it with a Timney for ultimate sweetness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top