Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2018 11:50:58 AM EDT
I fixed up a pawn shop Marlin 25, and it shoots, extracts, and ejects just fine.

However, the bolt takes a lot of effort to open and close (I can't open/close it when rifle is in a shooting position). It's liberally lubed with quality grease, and I also have the ramp area (where the cocking pin rides) lubed also.

Any ideas? Internet search didn't turn up anything, and I went thru about 12 pages on RimfireCentral.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it out of the stock and see if that makes a difference. Are you using a factory magazine?
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With the receiver out of the stock, it acts the same.

When I bought it was this way- even out of the stock.

I've had the metal cerakoted, and I refinished the stock. After it was cerakoted, it wasn't worse, just the same as when I got it.

At the time of purchase, I figured it just needed to be lubed- but it seems like there is something else going on.

Maybe the extractor is still dirty,  or where the extractor is entering the breechface is not clean enough (although I did clean them before firing).
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have shiny spots giving away the problem by now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I suspect it is the locking lug at the base of the bolt handle. That's were the receiver and bolt lock up. As said already it should have a shiny spot or at least a wear mark at the problem area. If it seams to be the locking lug area then I would put lapping or polishing compound on the lug and the corresponding receiver area and work the bolt handle up and down several times.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

But why was it hard to close/open prior to the cerakoting? I didn't see any marks on the bolt handle, or wear indicators when I first got it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have four bolt M25 action rimfire rifles with no such problem.  Maybe the rifle took a hard blow to the receiver at some time and squashed it a bit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I put some grease on the "U" part of the front of the bolt, and it's a little better. Still haven't looked too closely at extractor or extractor groove on breechface.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]
A Marlin model 25 was the first gun I ever purchased back in 1978.

I still have it and the action is still smooth and easy to operate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top