Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 12:52:47 AM EDT
I've been reading some about the 39a and decided to try and figure out a few things about mine. My dad said he bought in 1951 but the serial number starts with a "K" suggesting it's a 1953 model.

It's drilled for a scope but I don't know if that was from the factory or something he had done. He said he did put a scope on it but didn't like it so maybe he lost or tossed the screws if there were any. He doesn't seem to recall. In any case, I'd like to find some screws to plug the holes. Does anyone know where to find these and/or what size I would need?

It's also has some buggered screws. My dad liked to tinker and work on his guns and probably didn't really know what he was doing. Is it possible and worth it to replace them or buggered original is better than replacements? I'm not looking to sell it or anything but would like it to look nice.

What is a "Mountie" model and what, if anything, does it refer to? All I've been able to find is maybe they had straight stocks and lacked sling swivels and maybe had square levers. Mine has two of those features.

Any insight would be appreciated. The paracord wrap was for my daughter's benefit when I was teaching her to shoot and never took it off.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That barrel.  Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That barrel.  Fuck.
View Quote

That's the hole pattern on that "mountie" at my LGS except it's done much neater and has plug screws in it.....I suspect it's for a Weaver N2 or some such side mount.

LOL, I'm about half tempted to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's the hole pattern on that "mountie" at my LGS except it's done much neater and has plug screws in it.....I suspect it's for a Weaver N2 or some such side mount.

LOL, I'm about half tempted to buy it.
View Quote
Back when I worked a counter, a solid 40%+ of 39s that rolled through had those holes and/or plugs.  All looked extremely well done.

Never actually saw one with a scope mounted there.  Maybe it was an exclusive through a Sears or Kmart or something, or add another few cents to get one that's pre-drilled or whatnot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Screws are probably 6-48 thread... Brownells carries 'em.

Our local hardware store actually has them as well....I'd be tempted to have those holes plugged, tig'd over, and have the bbl refinished.... that looks terrible

Gunsmithing - How to Fix Screw Holes in a Winchester 1894 Barrel

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Screws are probably 6-48 thread... Brownells carries 'em.

Our local hardware store actually has them as well....I'd be tempted to have those holes plugged, tig'd over, and have the bbl refinished.... that looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kM2t7V_WUI

View Quote

That's cool but looks like it would be expensive and probably end up being more than the gun wold be worth after. My thought was to just plug with screws and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The scope mount that is drilled for was made by Weaver but I don't remember the part number. I've read the drilled barrel was a mod offered by the factory but the ones I've seen were done poorly enough I'm sure most were done on kitchen tables.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top