Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2020 10:37:03 AM EDT
For those of you that have cut a stock at the pistol grip on a side by side how hard is it to do it and make it look good. I can get a sauer 16 gauge with a cracked stock for cheap. Has two triggers.

I was going to cut the barrels about 2 inches in front of the hand guard and cut the stock off at the pistol grip.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Tricky part is the plate at the top of the barrel.  Usually silver soldered on and a cap soldered in place at the end of the barrels.  You have to re-do this area once cut.  I did one years ago but used a MIG welder to fill it in and shaped it with a file.  
I’ve got one sitting in the corner as well waiting for the time to fill out a Form 1 and chop it down.  Just got sidetracked with other projects.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joat] [#2]
On cutting the stock to a pistol grip, mark it out and allow a generous bit of material to be left.  Use a rasp and 80-100 grit sandpaper to bring it to rough shape.  Final sand and finish.

DO NOT USE A DREMEL (unless you are well practiced with one as they remove material very quickly).  Hand tools require a little more effort but are more forgiving.

Not a very difficult process but one that needs to be done carefully. It's always easier to take a little more wood off than put it back on.

I am not familiar with that make/model so verify how the buttstock is attached to the receiver before cutting.  If it is a through bolt you may need work around or modify the attachment...

Joat
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn I did not think about the through bolt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By emrisg:
Damn I did not think about the through bolt.
View Quote

Once you cut the stock down, if you're good with woodworking tools, you can fill the hole with a dowel, drill it and countersink it to hold a regular bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top