Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2019 1:38:22 PM EDT
I am planning to sell my upper, since that can be used as a pistol upper, a 9mm.  The question is what I should do to remove the receiver from the NFA registry?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Archived thread

Not sure if this is of any help, but some of the comments on here answer it for the most part. Note that the thread is from several years ago, so idk how accurate that is to today's rules/regs.
I would say keep the lower as is..
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason to remove it from the registry, slap a normal upper on it and it is no longer an SBR, if you ever decide in the future to put a short upper on it, then no paperwork has to be filed.  Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no reason to remove it from the registry, slap a normal upper on it and it is no longer an SBR, if you ever decide in the future to put a short upper on it, then no paperwork has to be filed.  Best of both worlds.
View Quote
This right here?  Why waste the $200 and hassle you’ve already been through?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can he travel across state lines with it in the non-SBR configuration or lend the registered lower to a friend if it has a 16”+ barreled upper on it? What about selling it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am planning to sell my upper, since that can be used as a pistol upper, a 9mm.  The question is what I should do to remove the receiver from the NFA registry?
View Quote
I don't see a point to it.    A lower isn't generally going to be worth much and the stamp is $200.    Worst case I'd strip it and throw it in the safe for later.  You're not going to get what it cost and the cost to replace it is much higher.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This right here?  Why waste the $200 and hassle you’ve already been through?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can he travel across state lines with it in the non-SBR configuration or lend the registered lower to a friend if it has a 16”+ barreled upper on it? What about selling it?
View Quote
From everything I've read:
Yes
No
No

The first one does not involve a transfer of possession.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
FASPNI.
Good advice in both.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes
No
No

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
No
No

It's only under NFA purview when it's in an SBR configuration; otherwise, it's just another Title I firearm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
FTW
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes
No
No

View Quote
yes
yes
yes
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FTW
View Quote
What if you decided to throw a 16” upper on it and a few years down the road you move, different state or not. Would you have to notify and change address at some point?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What if you decided to throw a 16" upper on it and a few years down the road you move, different state or not. Would you have to notify and change address at some point?
View Quote
If moving to a different state (only), yes you'd have to do a 5320.20 for permanent move (unless you never want it to be a SBR anymore).
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What if you decided to throw a 16” upper on it and a few years down the road you move, different state or not. Would you have to notify and change address at some point?
View Quote
You do not have to notify ATF of an interstate move of a Title I firearm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
With a normal upper on it, it is no longer an SBR, it is only an SBR when it is configured as one, 16 inch upper on it, you don't even have to mention it has been tax stamped.

As long as it stays a title I configuration, you don't have to notify anyone of anything, if you think you want to put it back as an SBR once you move then you would have notify of a permanent move.

You guys are making it to complicated.  It is only an NFA item when it is configured as an NFA item...
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the response and will just remove the upper and keep the lower as is should I decide something different in the future.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
unless you are on your deathbed or permanently leaving the country, never a good reason to take an AR lower off the registry...
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Even on your deathbed, you could will someone a tax-exempt SBR.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Just write a signed letter to have your tax stamp cancelled and cite the reason that the firearm is no longer in it's title 2 configuration but has returned to it's title 1 configuration.  Include the original stamp document.

They will return the letter with an approved or processed or withdrawn stamp attached to it.

Done it many times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Done it many times.
View Quote
But why though?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Done it many times.
View Quote

Flushing $200 and the wait time down the toilet...
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just write a signed letter to have your tax stamp cancelled and cite the reason that the firearm is no longer in it's title 2 configuration but has returned to it's title 1 configuration.  Include the original stamp document.

They will return the letter with an approved or processed or withdrawn stamp attached to it.

Done it many times.
View Quote
This makes no sense at all, when in title 1 configuration it is a title 1 firearm, with the option still open to configure as a title 2 if you want.  Give you more flexibility going into the future.  it will never make any sense to unstamp an SBR once you have waited and paid to do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#23]
So if I SBR something and then move out of state, is there any reason not to put a 16" barrel on for the move and then once the paperwork comes back put the short barrel back on in the new state?
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So if I SBR something and then move out of state, is there any reason not to put a 16" barrel on for the move and then once the paperwork comes back put the short barrel back on in the new state?
View Quote
Seems legit to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's no reason not to do that. Good plan.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What are the plans for getting the short upper into the new state?
View Quote
In the same vehicle, if he also has a pistol lower.

Use a separate vehicle if not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a paper-trail gap, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the ATF address it.
View Quote
Why would that matter?
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There's no reason not to do that. Good plan.
View Quote
What if we don't have any pistol lowers, and we have more SBRs than non-SBRs?
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Because you filed a form to make an SBR in State A.
You're in possession of that SBR in State B.
You have no approved 5320.20 that would've allowed you to take said SBR from A into B.
View Quote
Don't do this part.

You can bring the upper and lower to another state without it being a SBR.

"From" state would have to be wherever you moved from. Do a 5320.20 for permanent move, prior to sending any for temp travel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Sort of an offshoot of the original question but if one were to remove an SBR from the registry and put a regular rifle length upper on the lower, would the "new" gun be legally required to have a serial number?

If so, would it have to be the original serial number that the manufacturer engraved on the lower (if applicable)/the serial number one chose when creating the SBR or could you engrave an entirely new/different serial number onto the "new" gun?

I'm not asking about this in an effort to break/circumvent any laws FWIW, I have follow up questions depending on the answers though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#36]
N4411
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sort of an offshoot of the original question but if one were to remove an SBR from the registry and put a regular rifle length upper on the lower, would the "new" gun be legally required to have a serial number?
View Quote
It wouldn't be a new firearm, and it would already have a serial number (which you cannot legally alter/remove).

It simply would not be a Title II (NFA) firearm anymore, but that happens the moment you swap the Title I upper onto it, not when you notify ATF to update the registry.
Notifying ATF just prevents it from going back to NFA without another $200 tax.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be a new firearm, and it would already have a serial number (which you cannot legally alter/remove).

It simply would not be a Title II (NFA) firearm anymore, but that happens the moment you swap the Title I upper onto it, not when you notify ATF to update the registry.
Notifying ATF just prevents it from going back to NFA without another $200 tax.
View Quote
It's a title I receiver as soon as there's not a barrel attached to it as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's a title I receiver as soon as there's not a barrel attached to it as well.
View Quote
You are correct.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yes
yes
yes
View Quote
This. It is Title I when not configured as Title II.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top