Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2020 1:13:50 PM EDT
I hope this is the right subforum

I was shooting on Saturday, prepping for an upcoming match, confirming my dopes and chrono’ing my loads and whatnot.  One type of shot I was taking off a 55gal barrel on its side was too tall to have the legs extended and too short for legs closed on the Magpul bipod, and I had left my bag in my vehicle.  It made me really wish I had the 45 degree setting like an Atlas.

I’ve never looked at the Magpul bipod as an Atlas competitor, just a Harris replacement.  It took away the two things I always hated about the Harris (spring reverb and the legs dragging on the frame during deployment)

I like the Magpul bipod except I wish the lowest/shortest setting was a little lower than what it is, and a 45 degree leg position would solve that but they aren’t capable of that.....until now!

I took the legs out of the frame (one solitary Allen key machine screw and a nut), and you can get all the goodies out (don’t lose the spring...it’s keeping tension on the unlock button).

You need a drill press with the appropriate bit size or a dremel grinding wheel that fits the notches in the legs already.  Mark the correct side on each leg, and get after it!

Don’t go too deep; you can always reassemble and test fit it and remove more material.  You can’t undo a huge mistake.

I used some polishing cloth where necessary to get the rough edges smoothed out.  I lubricated everything  really good and cleaned off any metal shavings and reassembled.  The clamp slipped when I had mine on the drill press and I took a teeeeeeeny bit too much off the right side, so I have to cant it about a millimeter or so due to a little extra “sag”, but it was my first time and I was figuring it out as I went.  I’m happy with it.  Might do one of my others soon

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks interesting, but I'm betting it will cause that bipod to loosen, weaken, and fail far soon then it would under regular use.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks interesting, but I'm betting it will cause that bipod to loosen, weaken, and fail far soon then it would under regular use.
View Quote
The full leg extension hasn’t changed. There’s no difference in the metals that the bipod is made from.  If it wears out, it was going to happen anyways

I got it for $70.  If it fails in a year, oh well. Atlas it is.  If it doesn’t fail, then it’s a win win.  Worth the test though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top