Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2018 6:03:08 PM EDT
Probably already covered ad nauseam but l haven't found it yet.

But what spray-on finishes closely match MagPul's gray as used on their MOE handguards?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if you consider cerakote a spray-on finish, but Sniper Gray cerakote is very close to MagPul stealth gray.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

My thought is to spray it onto a Rem. 870 wood stock.  So any heating/ baking would have to be safe for wood.

Why wood, you ask?

I have never found an 870 stock that fits me like their oem wood stocks.  Not even their synthetic stocks fit me.

When l shoulder a wood stocked gun the bead lays right on top of the receiver.  When l shoulder a synthetic stocked 870 the all of the rib and receiver top is visible below the bead.  Thus it aims high for me.

I would consider the MagPul 870 stock but I'm reluctant to spend the $$$$ for something that might not fit right.

So the cheap solution is to paint a wood stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Duracoat has actual Magpul Grey in their offerings...…….https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/collections/duracoat/products/duracoat-standard-colors-grays?variant=38808632905
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice!  Thank you.

Now.... what else do l want to paint stealth gray?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a professional applicator, so I know a few things about this topic.

Magpul stuff is fairly consistent, but with any coating Duracoat, Cerakote and KG Gunkote you won't be a dead nuts on perfect match.  I'd say it's pretty close, about 92-97% close.

The reason for this is because when you are injection molding polymer the color will vary from piece to piece and day to day because of numerous factors such as outside temp, mold temp, humidity that day, mixture of the color balls in the melting area of the mold at that time etc.  polymer's come from the factory in small BB size beads and companies have big hoppers that dispense specific weights of beads into the hopper and mix them up.  so when it's molded you "COULD" have a couple beads more or less of that specific color to make whatever color it is.

I use KG Gunkote, it's an oven cured product and it's extremely durable.  It's one of my most popular colors!

When painting also the substrate makes a difference, raw aluminum will result in a slightly different hue of grey than a black parkerized finish or polymer would.  It's subtle and sometimes you can't even tell but it's possible.  I always do my best to mitigate this when dealing with different types of substrates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top