Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2021 9:46:33 AM EDT

Mixmaster S/243, year 1937, bought the barreled receiver when they were cheap in the mid 2000's. Collected parts over the years, Israeli FN stock, sling, and Turk bolt. Weimar and Waffenampt stamping on the receiver.

Barreled receiver is from IO, in 8mm, (7.92), they were almost giving them away then. Straight bolts were cheap.

Stock is dark, but I just did a quick clean, not using the dishwasher method, scored the stock and bolt from Liberty Tree, a little pricey, but maybe not considering the current climate.

Sarco and Liberty Tree have K98 stocks, but they are marked 7.62 at the buttstock. Sorry for the double post, stock was about $175.00,  bolt was $98.00.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the function good and how well does it shoot?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoots fine with dirty surplus Romanian 8mm.  That round has an odor.  Haven’t shot any Greek, not going to open a fresh can for a put together K98
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a German K98 bent bolt that needs the extractor collar but all of the other parts are there... I need a straight bolt assembly for a later Turk long rifle so if ya wanna trade send me a PM...
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the stock fit?  The FN action and the M98 actions are not the same length.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the stock fit?  The FN action and the M98 actions are not the same length.
View Quote

FN produced both standard length and intermediate length Mauser actions.

You're thinking of the FN M24's intermediate length action, like those produced by FN for the Serbians and then used as the basis for the intermediate length Yugoslavian M24/47 and M48 Mausers.  Those stocks/receivers will not interchange with a standard length Mauser like a K98k.

But the K98k-style M30 Mausers produced by FN for the IDF in the early 1950s were standard length Mauser actions.  So these IDF Mauser stocks will fit any K98k.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Exactly, the stock is from a post war FN K98 that was converted into .308.  Probably should have did a better job cleaning up the stock, but I didn’t want to dry it out with the quick dishwasher method.

I’ve got a FN K 98 .308 is the safe, but it’s pitted, came from the Century batch that came out of Guatemala, haven’t shot it. I’ll post pictures if I dig it out of the safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Exactly, the stock is from a post war FN K98 that was converted into .308.  Probably should have did a better job cleaning up the stock, but I didn’t want to dry it out with the quick dishwasher method.

I’ve got a FN K 98 .308 is the safe, but it’s pitted, came from the Century batch that came out of Guatemala, haven’t shot it. I’ll post pictures if I dig it out of the safe.
View Quote

I bought three of those in the U fixem category. One had the bolt end cap busted off and the bolt locked in. That one had a nice bore and head spaced on another bolt I already had. Swapped some missing parts and made a shooter.

The other two close on a no go gauge. I tried six different bolts, no luck. I dont have a field gauge, and never went any farther with them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I kept my FN because I lived in Antwerp for 3 years, and according to the dna site, I’m 2% Jewish.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Just found another barreled receiver, Liberty Tree Collectors still have K98 stocks. Let’s see what gets put together....
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, this time I'm outta bolts...
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Collars are en route from Liberty Tree, I’ll post more when the parts arrive.  Thanks again for the bolt swap, this will work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Heres my Guatemalan refugees. All FN rec.
The shooter I fixed. Rack number etc as it came to me. Right side has green paint worn off.

Junker Number 2.
Mostly complete closes on a No Go gauge. Fired some of those plastic 308 blanks with her on the 4th a few years ago. Stock is split by the rec.

Junker Number 3.
Misisng parts. Stock is toast. Special high speed Jungle Patrol rounded buttstock
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you considered parting out your two Israeli Mauser's that aren't shooters? Could recoup come money selling the bolts and stock bits although that one stock on the last one you posted will only be good for firewood.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Even the cracked stock is pretty bad. Ive had plenty of Mauser parts around for 40 years so I dont need any recouping. I still have other project Mausers.

Mauser parts use to be like buckets of nails sitting around. Thats why I had so many bolts to swap and try. Keeping them as wall hangers or maybe a future custom build.

The bolts are worth more than what I have in them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sarco has a good stock of Mauser parts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I use the dishwasher to clean and also to steam out minor dents.  It'll also make you realize it's a varnished stock & now you have to strip the rest.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use the dishwasher to clean and also to steam out minor dents.  It'll also make you realize it's a varnished stock & now you have to strip the rest.  
View Quote

What kind of dishwasher do you have that fits a K98 stock? Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of dishwasher do you have that fits a K98 stock? Asking for a friend
View Quote

We just replaced it, think it's a GE now?  Much more room than the last one.  In the last one, it swallowed a M1917 sporter stock, turned out right nice.

I don't have a K98 military stock to try in our new one right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top