Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2018 4:08:45 PM EDT
If this is the wrong place for this thread please let me know where it belongs.

I sent my MR556 upper to Jayson in February. He received it Feb 9th. I've been waiting since then to receive it back.
My form 1 has already arrived and now im getting antsy. The last response i received was on April 12th in which he told me that it should ship any day.
Now it three months later and all i've been receiving from him are auto replies. While I understand people are busy I would hope that i could get some sort of answer in 90+ days since then.
I already paid him $750 for the work and that is not including the price of the actual upper.

Anyone have any recommendations on what I should do?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
He's backed up on work. There is a thread on the HK forum about it. I'd be patient .
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's backed up on work. There is a thread on the HK forum about it. I'd be patient .
View Quote
Can you PM me a link to thread?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
While the thread helps it in no way answers anybody's questions. Seems like no one has gotten a response from him at all. Just makes me more nervous.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

While the thread helps it in no way answers anybody's questions. Seems like no one has gotten a response from him at all. Just makes me more nervous.
View Quote
I thought there was a response from him in there. Maybe it was another.  That's one of the problems with being the top guy doing the conversions. It would be nice but f he communicated better. I have a barre to send him for work, but I have no issue waiting a year I'd I need to. I was shocked Tom Bostic got my USC conversion back to me in a week and the work is flawless.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
He's done work for me in the past. I emailed him about a month ago, but he responded saying that his workload is fairly heavy, and to try again in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Jayson's work is awesome and definitely on par with TSC and TPM IMHO. I've handled and shot several examples of it.
I contacted him early last year about doing a couple of HK MP5s, and an HK53 conversion for me. I had total faith in his ability to do the work he definitely knows his stuff but what steered me to TSC was that he was extremely backed up then and communicating strictly via email with responses taking several days to weeks gave me pause. Hopefully this all works out and I'm sure it will, but I would certainly be nervous as well about anyone holding  20k of merchandise that belongs to me and I haven't gotten responses from them for months.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think there are any rules against posting this but let me know if wrong...the HK Forum thread referenced earlier

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/468530-has-anyone-heard-jayson-igf.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Newbies need to realize good smiths often take 18 months to finish stuff.  Don't be a pain in his ass, he is backed up.  Next time, find an average smith and get it back in 6 months and enjoy the average quality of build
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Newbies need to realize good smiths often take 18 months to finish stuff.  Don't be a pain in his ass, he is backed up.  Next time, find an average smith and get it back in 6 months and enjoy the average quality of build
View Quote
I doubt there’s a quality difference between IGF and TPM.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
He told the OP THREE MONTHS ago that the upper would ship "any day".

And the OP is the asshole?

Give me a fuckin break.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
He’s super slow and bad at responding but he does do good work. He pushed mine back several times.

Pretty sure it took him 4 months to chop one of my barrels.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
What I gathered from skimming the HKPro thread was that it's not so much the long wait, as it is the lack of responsiveness to customer inquiries, months in some cases and no response.
A small 1 man operation with a sterling reputation for quality gets overloaded with business, his reputation can be a double edged sword. I get it.
The one thing that had my attention, and I don't know exactly how Jayson's business works, was that a customer sent full payment in and was at 45 days post payment and still had no gun.
In my experience with TSC when they send you an invoice, your weapon is ready for shipment back to you. It ships as soon as payment is received. In other words, they may have had your gun for 12 months but when they requested payment, your work was completed.
The custom conversion game is a waiting game and not for the impatient, it's a marathon and not a sprint.
I think a little communication on Jayson's part could put this fire out, I doubt he's skipped town with people's prize grail guns but when you don't communicate the people who's money and guns you're holding get irritated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A lot of good Smiths would be better off by hiring a secretary to answer phones and emails all day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do "good smiths" also take a customer's money and lie about shipping the already paid for work?

There are a lot of ways around this, including not taking in more work until caught up or putting customers on a waiting list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A lot of good Smiths would be better off by hiring a secretary to answer phones and emails all day.
View Quote
Most of them don't make enough money to justify adding staff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they're so buried in work they can't return comms with customers, wouldn't seem too far out of line to think having someone show up for 3-4 hours a day (or even work from home) to help keep track of where everything is at. I have learned patience from the NFA game and 14 month wait times, but there comes a point when you need to call/email/text and check in.

\
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I’d just give everyone an order number then update the order I’m working on at the end of each week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Personally I’d just give everyone an order number then update the order I’m working on at the end of each week.
View Quote
Gray Guns did something similar. You'd send in a work order, pay a deposit and that got you your spot in line. When they got close to being ready for your job, theyd ask you to mail your gun in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gray Guns did something similar. You'd send in a work order, pay a deposit and that got you your spot in line. When they got close to being ready for your job, theyd ask you to mail your gun in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cylinder and Slide does the same thing.  That said, I've used IGF and the timeline did slip.  But, he did a great job with my 53 clone and it was worth the wait.  Totally get the OPs concerns as IGF was slow and I also had some slow comms from an AK builder who is highly regarded.  Can't offer much more than that though...
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]
What work are you having done? I just had a barrel chop and gas Block done.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

If you need a trigger I’d recommend the KAC 2 stage. It’s a solid 2 stage and works with the MR556 BCG, and cheaper than a Geissele.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Check on HKpro.com, there was a thread on this. Apparently he is ok, just backed up as stated earlier. Unfortunately, all the custom smiths seem to be this way. Hope you get some communication from him soon!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Edgy bro. Dick comments like this are why "newbies" are afraid to ask questions.  This is a tech forum not GD.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Jayson did my MR556 conversion; chopped the barrel to 14.5", nitrided the barrel and gas block, re-profiled the barrel, H&K stamp on barrel, and pinned a AAC 51T flash hider. It took Jayson awhile to get to it because of the nonsense he was going through with a customer, plus he was completing all of the HK Shooting Team guns backed him up considerably. I paid for the work in advance, and it took about six months to get the upper back. But when I did it was a work of art and I realized it was worth the wait. Jayson is a one man shop, and no matter how much it sucks to wait after you paid a boatload of money to get it finished, it will be worth it. After awhile, I thought it was like one my Form 1 or 4's I sent to ATF, and just resigned myself that when it comes, it comes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jayson did my MR556 conversion; chopped the barrel to 14.5", nitrided the barrel and gas block, re-profiled the barrel, H&K stamp on barrel, and pinned a AAC 51T flash hider. It took Jayson awhile to get to it because of the nonsense he was going through with a customer, plus he was completing all of the HK Shooting Team guns backed him up considerably. I paid for the work in advance, and it took about six months to get the upper back. But when I did it was a work of art and I realized it was worth the wait. Jayson is a one man shop, and no matter how much it sucks to wait after you paid a boatload of money to get it finished, it will be worth it. After awhile, I thought it was like one my Form 1 or 4's I sent to ATF, and just resigned myself that when it comes, it comes.
View Quote
What do you mean "H&K stamp on barrel" ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jayson can add the HK 416 stamp on your barrel once the barrel was re-profiled; he did for mine

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/416-Barrel-Markings-1.jpgAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Jayson can add the HK 416 stamp on your barrel once the barrel was re-profiled; he did for mine

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/416-Barrel-Markings-1.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111856/image-616250.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/416-Barrel-Markings-1.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111856/image-616250.JPG
Neat. That's new since I had mine done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I had him reprofile barrel, cut to 10.4, nitride and vent gas block for suppressor.
I'm using MR556 lower I don't think it will work with the KAC trigger.

Quoted:
What work are you having done? I just had a barrel chop and gas Block done.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385055/4E740B79-2231-4941-938F-3BDC6CAD7ED4-615043.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385055/D7AD9C41-372E-4C96-85EA-E05732E03D82-615044.JPG
If you need a trigger I’d recommend the KAC 2 stage. It’s a solid 2 stage and works with the MR556 BCG, and cheaper than a Geissele.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
He did my SP5K.  He kept saying "next week" and it took over 5 months to get it back.  He's very backlogged and terrible at estimating time to complete a project but he does beautiful work.  My only advice is to be patient.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had him reprofile barrel, cut to 10.4, nitride and vent gas block for suppressor.
I'm using MR556 lower I don't think it will work with the KAC trigger.
View Quote
If you have an MR556 you’re fine - I slapped mine on Colt and Remington Defense lowers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What work are you having done? I just had a barrel chop and gas Block done.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385055/4E740B79-2231-4941-938F-3BDC6CAD7ED4-615043.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385055/D7AD9C41-372E-4C96-85EA-E05732E03D82-615044.JPG
View Quote
Who did your chop? And how long did it take?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Murray Urbach used to have people waiting for YEARS for HK work, before he got in trouble.   Good ‘smiths become victims of their reputations and struggle under a mountain of work.  It also doesn’t help that these guys usually aren’t the best business people and therefore commnication and service are usually subpar.  With that being said, Jayson did my MP5 conversion years ago and the work is top notch.  It’ll all turn out alright, OP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Who did your chop? And how long did it take?
View Quote
Jayson at IGF. 4-5 months.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Im approaching 6 months. Man the wait is killing me.
Every time i open my safe and see my SBR MR556 lower just sitting there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Edgy bro. Dick comments like this are why "newbies" are afraid to ask questions.  This is a tech forum not GD a place to ruin really good gunsmith's reputations.  Nobody good seems to deliver on time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edgy bro. Dick comments like this are why "newbies" are afraid to ask questions.  This is a tech forum not GD a place to ruin really good gunsmith's reputations.  Nobody good seems to deliver on time.
Im sorry you feel that way. But waiting 7 months and not having any communication for the past 120 days is unacceptable. Sending a $1500 upper and paying the $750 upfront and not being able to reply to a single email is crazy!
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a local guy chop my MR556 down to 14.5 with a pin. He also chopped and smoothed out the tab on the extension.

I got it back less than a week.

However, I had done a custom gunsmith shop a long time ago. Mainly fulton armory. The guy there takes a long while to get it done but he gets it done really well. He got a phone desk but it's not really all that great.

If you know his reputation online, then just wait. He'll ship it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a load of fuckin garbage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Jayson finished an MKE receiver for me, he does awesome work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jayson finished an MKE receiver for me, he does awesome work.
View Quote
When did you take delivery? Was that recently?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When did you take delivery? Was that recently?
View Quote
I got it back from him in October last year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
MR556 upper sent in late May, just got a shipping notification from Jayson!

Looks like all is well and he's doing work.

I was starting to get a little worried there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top