Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2020 1:51:36 AM EDT
shot a full auto SD today now I want one. I know I can't own one but the semi auto would be great

does Omega still make the SD clone.

quality was spotty for Omega is that fixed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
shot a full auto SD today now I want one. I know I can't own one but the semi auto would be great

does Omega still make the SD clone.

quality was spotty for Omega is that fixed?
View Quote

You're wrong. You can own one. You may just not want to pay the price.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Best investment I ever made.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, looks like you can own one.  May I direct you to a source of instantly available (to purchase) MP5s?

BTW bought mine 6 weeks ago and don't expect to actually have it in my hot little hands for months yet.  The ATF moves slowly.

Ruben Mendiola
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
MKE or HK...send to RDTS...wait a year or so...MP5SD perfection!
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Is TPM still the best when it comes to a new MP5-SD?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread needs more pics

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
That is pure hottness...!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Is a semi-auto Mp5-SD still just as fun?

I feel like that thing was just meant for full auto - like no other.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm gonna enter an opinion.  Nothing more than a personal opinion.  I have owned (and have in ATF jail awaiting permission to take home another) MP5 in full auto.  I also now own a Zenith semi-auto MP5.

IMO there is no point to a semi-auto version of an MP5.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is a pre-May keeper I picked up before letting my license expire - likely the last HK I will ever buy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/766/premaymp5sd_JPG-1270286.jpg
View Quote

I should have bought one just like that years ago when I had a chance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is TPM still the best when it comes to a new MP5-SD?
View Quote

TSC is the best, not TPM. TSC only works on German guns.

If one wants a clone, I would personally buy one of RDTS guns where Ralph Jr grafts the front end of a German mp5SD including the mag well to the rear part of a LSC flat. He intermittently has these in stock without a wait.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
TSC is the best, not TPM. TSC only works on German guns.

If one wants a clone, I would personally buy one of RDTS guns where Ralph Jr grafts the front end of a German mp5SD including the mag well to the rear part of a LSC flat. He intermittently has these in stock without a wait.
View Quote
This.  Although Ralph Jr is his own company now, and seems to have better prices than RDTS (still run by Ralph Sr.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Isnt this the model that turns 9mm into 115gr subsonic?  Downgrade your 60 cent 9mm to 22wmr power?  Yeah buddy!

I'm over here with my regular MP5 rocking 147gr at normal people power like a caveman.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Isnt this the model that turns 9mm into 115gr subsonic?  Downgrade your 60 cent 9mm to 22wmr power?  Yeah buddy!

I'm over here with my regular MP5 rocking 147gr at normal people power like a caveman.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#17]
As others have said. TSC is the absolute best in the business. My obligatory pic HK MP5SD with B&T SD suppressor.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's still fun, but FA is next-level.  It's not just the quietness.  The MP5-SD is insanely controllable on FA.  It just stays locked on to the original POA with almost no effort.

Mine is an Omega with a TPM can.  The build quality isn't stellar, but it works.  The bolt group would not go into my 94 conversion.  The o-ring wasn't installed right.  Something's funky with the shelf, so the lower wiggles a little bit.  And the receiver is a bit bowed out.  If you're not an HK snob, you might not notice most of these things.

The TPM can itself is unfortunately a HAIR narrower than the original HK can.  The B&T suppressor tri-rail mount that's supposed to clamp onto the suppressor doesn't fit.  Fully tightened, still spins freely.

My non-expert opinion is if you want to just buy one "off the shelf" and be done, TPM outfitters.  If you want to build out an as close to real HK as possible, you're gonna have to hunt down the parts and send them to TSC machine.  If you can get him to take it.  He's got a huge backlog and told me he's thinking about not taking on any new work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you want to build out an as close to real HK as possible, you're gonna have to hunt down the parts and send them to TSC machine.  If you can get him to take it.  He's got a huge backlog and told me he's thinking about not taking on any new work.
View Quote
Mike is not taking new work, in fact I have the last (for now at least) SD build with him being finished up right now.

The TSC guns are the absolute best available, however it's a $10,000 gun even when they are resold.  So out of reach for many.  Ralph Jr, quoted me around $4,500 for a build off of a German SD kit with his signature magwell graft last year.  I went with TSC because they have also done a Navy and PDW for me and I wanted to keep it all German but Ralph Jr's builds are fantastic and that was a great price for a build off of a German kit.  

I've not handled Omega's SD but the Omega's I have handled are not guns I'd be happy with.  Too rough.  As for TPM and Dakota, for the prices they charge I want German parts and the majority of their parts seem to be American.   I've heard good things and the specimens I've handled seem nice but I just don't see the value, particularly on the back end.  

I do have an RDTS .40S&W that is fantastic, so if I went with a clone it would be one of the Ralph's.  Probably Jr since he seems to be cheaper than this dad since he is still building his name.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
With TPM, I can live without German parts, just as long as the parts they're using are quality enough and most of all, that the overall build is excellent.

I've heard too many negatives about Omega builds to want to cheap out.

Would rather "buy once, cry once" and get an SD build I won't ever have to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Regarding TPM, I’d do a search of reviews of late from them if I were you, or maybe you have and liked what you saw. They were in the vendor thread section over on HKpro but apparently are not any longer or at least I can’t find them in the new website format over there. Personally, I have one of their MP5SDk suppressors awaiting NFA clearance but a $600 suppressor is quite a ways from $8k-10k gun.
Nonetheless, I recall they had mounting complaints regarding more than  T/A times and inaccessibility. That being said, I know they relocated a while back and perhaps that contributed to some of the issues they were having, and they may have ironed out those issues. Maybe some the issues were related to working on clone guns. Mike Woodward (TSC) only works on German HK because the spec issues common in most clones start you down a rabbit hole that can be arduous to get out of when trying to get them working properly.  Ultimately it’s your money and your choice. Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Regarding TPM, I'd do a search of reviews of late from them if I were you, or maybe you have and liked what you saw. They were in the vendor thread section over on HKpro but apparently are not any longer or at least I can't find them in the new website format over there. Personally, I have one of their MP5SDk suppressors awaiting NFA clearance but a $600 suppressor is quite a ways from $8k-10k gun.
Nonetheless, I recall they had mounting complaints regarding more than  T/A times and inaccessibility. That being said, I know they relocated a while back and perhaps that contributed to some of the issues they were having, and they may have ironed out those issues. Maybe some the issues were related to working on clone guns. Mike Woodward (TSC) only works on German HK because the spec issues common in most clones start you down a rabbit hole that can be arduous to get out of when trying to get them working properly.  Ultimately it's your money and your choice. Good Luck
View Quote
Yea there have been a few complaints about TPM lately.  Shoddy work and bad comms.  They also produced a run of non concentric suppressors that were causing endcap strikes.  HKPro is pretty aggressive about censoring that stuff for vendors so a lot of it did not stay up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
My pre '86 dealer sample Mp5 sent to Ralph in 1992 for his SD conversion. Steel can. Perfection...

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My pre '86 dealer sample Mp5 sent to Ralph in 1992 for his SD conversion. Steel can. Perfection...

https://i.postimg.cc/9X9pYcPL/DSC06484.jpg
View Quote

Mmmmm is that Mary Ann?  
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm gonna enter an opinion.  Nothing more than a personal opinion.  I have owned (and have in ATF jail awaiting permission to take home another) MP5 in full auto.  I also now own a Zenith semi-auto MP5.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full auto or not there's no point in owning an mp5 period these days as they're pretty obsolete. Most just buy them for nostalgia / collection
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy got one made by Dakota Tactical

It’s pretty choice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not .22 WMR, but the MP5SD has been called “the world’s most expensive .380 ACP”.

The SD barrel has ports (holes), which bleed pressure from the burning gunpowder into its integral suppressor. Those multiple ports start very close to the barrel’s chamber, and continue forward towards the muzzle. The pressure which is bled into the suppressor would normally be used to accelerate the bullet up to supersonic speed. This is what makes the SD so controllable; its ported barrel lowers the “power” of the ammunition by bleeding away a lot of the “push” from the burning gunpowder, which lowers the recoil impulse. A lot of really hot, actively burning gunpowder is consumed within the SD suppressor, which is why they run so dirty.

Part of me wonders if H&K could’ve achieved the same result with a non-ported, 2” or 3” barrel, which would’ve made cleaning a lot easier. Cleaning those barrel ports is a bit of a chore.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#28]
This has been a grail gun for me for a decade but I have always kept it on the back burner. I have a SP5 that I love but the SD always calls my name...
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#29]
It’s not a great gun for a protracted gun fight  BUT it was never intended to be. If knock down power is of paramount importance to you than the MP5SD isn’t the gun for you.  Personally, for me it’s part of a collection and worth every penny on tacticool factor alone . Regarding cleaning it, the HK port brush is worth every penny.
The dangerous thing about heading down the HK roller lock road is it will almost always lead to full auto road.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I will offer another vote for an all German build by TSC for the host and B&T for the suppressor if you wallet and patience allows as the build will cost you at least $10,000+ if you start with an HK94 and TSC isn't taking on any more projects right now so you would have to get on their wait list just to send the gun in and then wait for it to be completed once you do get called to send your gun and parts in.

TPM and Ralph Jr also make nice and fully functional guns off LCS flats with internals from either a demilled German SD or US made parts (RCM, etc.) While LCS are the top available US made receivers, an LCS rolled flat is just not going to be as nice an original German HK receiver as the sheet metal stamping is just not a nice.    

However, its hard to argue the value proposition of a LCS flat based receiver build as an all German build off an HK94 receiver is 2 to 3X times the cost of a LSC/RCM based build and doesn't provide 2 to 3X the functionality.

My personal HK94 TSC Conversion + B&T suppressor + Sear host gun:

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yea there have been a few complaints about TPM lately.  Shoddy work and bad comms.  They also produced a run of non concentric suppressors that were causing endcap strikes.  HKPro is pretty aggressive about censoring that stuff for vendors so a lot of it did not stay up.
View Quote

Thats super interesting to hear

I had some really wonky accuracy issues with my SD when I first built it. It took me a really long time to hone in on wtf was going on. I firmly believe its due to the blast baffle spacer being a tiny tiny bit undersized in length either due to manufacturing error or even damage due to cleaning. I sent it back and they recoated it as well as giving me a new barrel end interface for the can.

Still had weird shifting accuracy by feet. Of course I didnt realize it was the spacer until after they check it out so I didnt mention that to them or I probably would have gotten a new spacer

I finally just stopped cleaning that sucker and the issues went away.

Always sounded good. Just has to be dirty to shoot good in my case
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not .22 WMR, but the MP5SD has been called “the world’s most expensive .380 ACP”.
View Quote

MP5SD slows 115gr bullets to 935fps.  This is 223 ft/lb of energy.  

Many commercial 22wmr loads are over 300ft/lb.  In fact, here's a list of 15 different 22wmr loads and every single one of them is higher than 223 ft/lb. https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx

I think you get another benefit of having the barrel longer than 2-3".  There is rifling engaging the bullet and stabilizing it in the ported barrel a lot longer than 2".  I think bullets would be basically tumbling out if all you had was a snubnose instead of the ported barrel.  And the ported barrel keeps rounds from contacting the baffles and such and protects the suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone have any experience with B&T's APC9-SD?

Quality stuff? Any issues?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one. No issues. Well made. It’s direct blow back whereas the MP5SD is roller delayed. I suppose it’s capable of scratching the SD itch. The negatives; no transferable full auto capability and it’s not an MP5SD. The positive; it will save your 401k several thousand dollars versus an HK MP5SD
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have one. No issues. Well made. It's direct blow back whereas the MP5SD is roller delayed. I suppose it's capable of scratching the SD itch. The negatives; no transferable full auto capability and it's not an MP5SD. The positive; it will save your 401k several thousand dollars versus an HK MP5SD
View Quote
Didn't scratch my itch
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I am the ugly American.

I have an SD built from an Black Market Parts, Barreled upper. I do not think there is a foreign part on it. And it has run 100% almost 9 years now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well I am the ugly American.

I have an SD built from an Black Market Parts, Barreled upper. I do not think there is a foreign part on it. And it has run 100% almost 9 years now.
View Quote

I have one also that I run with a real HK SD can, never had even one malf.

ETA:  See my pics above.  One is a 'real' SD (ported barrel), the other is an MP5k 3lug barrel under an SD cage, using a Trident can.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Love the engineers here.  The people who bought these things for 60 years never knew they had such junk.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#39]
MP5SD just looks wrong with an A2 imo
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
MP5SD just looks wrong with an A2 imo
View Quote

I dunno man

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#41]
They all look "right" to me.  

Here are a few of the one I sold (dumb me).  Thank goodness I have one in ATF jail now for over a month and close be having MP5 goodness back in my life.  Now ammo is a problem but life is about overcoming problems.

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

B&T is good to go.  Not the same as an MP5, but gives you similar terminal performance.  I shoot M882 for practice and keep 124gr Gold Dots loaded next to my bedstand...

Just destroyed my 401k on real estate stuff, maybe in 5 years Ill borrow from it again and buy a MP5...

Quoted:
It’s not a great gun for a protracted gun fight  BUT it was never intended to be. If knock down power is of paramount importance to you than the MP5SD isn’t the gun for you.  Personally, for me it’s part of a collection and worth every penny on tacticool factor alone . Regarding cleaning it, the HK port brush is worth every penny.
The dangerous thing about heading down the HK roller lock road is it will almost always lead to full auto road.

You can save some pennies by DIY...

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Super high quality.  Not as quiet as the MP5SD.  I have one (APC9SD) with the shorter suppressor - but I suspect the full size is the same with regard to the port.  Without hearing protection, it sounds like a clap/clack and it is tolerable outdoors.  If you're chasing sound in a direct blow back, subsonic ammo is cheaper.  The MP5SD is an anomaly.  I'd put a MP5 with subsonic ammo right under that for sound.  I love my B&Ts, but they aren't going to be as quiet as a delayed BB.  That said, I did pick up an CMMG Banshee and will eventually shoot it next to my Zenith RS with subs and see if it comes close...
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#44]
What's everyone using for a carrying case for the SD?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Freeride1:

Since I have more than one, I use a 33" dual weapon case from Elite Systems.  They work well and look good.
Elite Systems years ago bought Assault Systems, I think, and this is the first one I bought years ago and as you
may note it has a green Assault Systems logo on it.  The next ones i purchased all say Elite Systems on them.

Here is a couple pics to give you an idea.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My buddy got one made by Dakota Tactical

It’s pretty choice.
View Quote

Sure, it’s probably very nice. But it’s also mostly RCM parts, not German. All at a very high price tag.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sure, it's probably very nice. But it's also mostly RCM parts, not German. All at a very high price tag.
View Quote
This is exactly my thought process on Dakota.  They are so overhyped for a gun built from US parts bought wholesale from HKparts.  

I prefer all German, and usually go with TSC machine.  I did go with a clone for my MP5/40 and looked hard at Dakota.    As you said all US parts, and the US made barrel wasn't threaded correctly for the KAC can. I went with an RDTS built off a German parts kit and am very glad I did.

Dakota holds zero appeal to me, and at their price point is one of the most foolish ways to spend money in the gun industry.  It's in the same category as Rifle Dynamics imo.  Overpriced knockoff that doesn't perform better than the original but has a large social media fan base.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Here is a couple pics to give you an idea.

https://i.postimg.cc/WbxFqxdR/IMG-3186-1.jpg

View Quote

If only we could get KAC to do another run, I had no intention of owning a gun that took that can when they released them...
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If only we could get KAC to do another run, I had no intention of owning a gun that took that can when they released them...
View Quote
I found one on GB for my MP5SD-N build that TSC is finishing.  I'm a total whore for anything KAC/H&K.  I've got all the suppressors except for their Uber rare USP-CT can.

Looking forward to comparing it to my B&T, every KAC can I have is an excellent performer.  Same can't be said for B&T, they are usually a let down.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#50]
For you guys that sent your gun off to TSC for the all German built MP5 SD.
Where did you find/ purchase the SD Barrel / entire SD front end and HK Suppressor from?
Also, i see alot of guys going with the B&T Suppressor these days, is the B&T Suppressor better than the original HK Suppressor OR was B&T the OEM Manufacturer for HK from the beginning of time when the SD first came out?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top