Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 2:00:11 PM EDT
Came into a bit of money recently and am trying to decide what to do with it. My choices are down to buying a MG probably an M16 or a SXS sports utility vehicle. I already have a couple of machine guns including an HK transferable sear with 5 MP5 hosts an HK91 and an HK53 clone. I also have a BRP STG U9 subgun. I definitely see a hole in my collection that would be filled by an M16 but I also wouldn’t mind getting a SXS to run around in as well.

Clearly the M16 would be the better investment as it’ll hold its value way better but I’m not really concerned about investments. I’m pretty diversified with some rental houses as well as some $ in the market and I have a decent enough job that gives me a pension whenever I decide to hang it up.

I also have to admit I don’t really shoot my ARs much as I much prefer to shoot my PCCs and subguns. Really it’s been probably 5 years since I’ve shot any AR at all some I’m concerned getting an M16 it’ll probably just sit in my safe and collect dust until I die and my kids just sell it.

A SXS would be fun. I have a house down in Parker AZ and off roaring is huge down there. We mostly go boating down there but I’m open to Off-roading as well. We’re also in the process of picking up another place in Meadview AZ and off-roading is pretty big down there. I’m thinking a SXS would be great but I know nothing about them so I’d need to figure out which one to get.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no machine guns and at this point would probably get a SxS as I would use it more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a dune buggy/rail for about $15k less than a SXS, and also get a machine gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently got a can am maverick x3 x ds turbo r. I didn't know what I was getting myself into but it has turned out to be a blast. We mostly trail ride and hit the muddy trails. The wife loves it because she can just sit and enjoy the ride while enjoying her favorite beverage. One thing to keep in mind is ATV stands for Another Thousand Vanished.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have enjoyment shooting a M16. I prefer using the RR to host different uppers like a MCR, Razorback 22lr, 9mm uppee, etc.

I think values would hold steady but could go up.

I would imagine you would have a lot of fun with a SXS. As most vehicles, value will go down but you'll enjoy using it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, I'd go M16 .

I'm currently looking Into building a Kubota turbo diesel powered Datsun 720 that will end up SAS. It'll be way cheaper than a SXS and street legal!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IMHO, I'd go M16 .

I'm currently looking Into building a Kubota turbo diesel powered Datsun 720 that will end up SAS. It'll be way cheaper than a SXS and street legal!
View Quote

Please do a build thread when appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy the M16. The cost of SxS is stupid. I’d rather buy a used 4-runner and use it for the same purpose as a SxS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy the M16. The cost of SxS is stupid. I’d rather buy a used 4-runner and use it for the same purpose as a SxS.
View Quote

A 4 runner isn't really comparable to a SxS especially the performance models. They're not even close.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please do a build thread when appropriate.
View Quote

Will do! I have a line on a 720 but haven't been able to make it over to look at it yet. A buddy of mine has a motor for me when the right project truck comes by. It'll start as a 2wd diesel then as I find an axle and T case it'll end up 4wd unless I start with a 4wd truck. The 2wd truck is free from a friend. It's between that and a hardbody pickup which I prefer.

First step will be just doing a rebuild on the diesel and finding a turbo. Probably a little KO3 from a 1.8L Audi.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A 4 runner isn't really comparable to a SxS especially the performance models. They're not even close.
View Quote

I realize this. A good friend is very much into SxS and he says the same. I’d still rather have a tranny M16 and something other than a SxS. But that’s based on my priorities. The SxS is a depreciating toy. Fun. But a depreciating toy. I drive a 2000 Landcruiser with 200k miles. I own it free and clear. I buy transferable MGs, not depreciating toys.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two side by sides and zero machine guns.  I love rifles but a little diversity in the fun department is nice.  I say get the side by side, I recommend a Can Am.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Having owned both, and No M-16 today and No Polaris RZR, I miss my M-16 most. The SxS is a depreciating asset. I rode with folks that drove the shit out of their SxS's, damaging them every ride. They will never hold their value. When I foolishly sold my M-16 20 years ago; I was sure I would afford another.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I went through this a couple years ago. I would have enjoyed either but chose the SxS.

My thoughts at the time were it was a shitload of money either way, but if something went wrong and I needed to liquidate immediately I figured I could get my money faster with the SxS.

Also funny thing is, I could sell my SxS today for more than I paid with all the crap going on currently; the future can be unpredictable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
They'll make more side by sides next year.

Truthfully, you can get 99% of a M16 with a $400 Rare Breed trigger.  It won't be select fire, but it will run when you pull the trigger.  ATF will probably declare them machineguns at some point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
15 years from now the M16 will double in value and the vehicle will be worth scrap.

The choice is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
15 years from now the M16 will double in value and the vehicle will be worth scrap.

The choice is up to you.
View Quote

Well yeah but you can't offroad on an M16... really just depends on what the OP wants to do more.  Since he already has a bunch of MGs and no SxS, I'd say get the SxS and go have fun, bring the other MGs with and shoot out in the back country in AZ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well yeah but you can't offroad on an M16... really just depends on what the OP wants to do more.  Since he already has a bunch of MGs and no SxS, I'd say get the SxS and go have fun, bring the other MGs with and shoot out in the back country in AZ.
View Quote

Financially the M16 is the better choice but if you take that argument to an extreme he should be putting his money in bitcoin or some other hot asset. We also make choices that ignore finances completely, like having kids, which is just a big money pit that lasts 20+ years and often results in grandchildren which cost even more. But we do it because we want to.

I dont think think either choice is wrong for OP, its really which one he wants more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I dont think think either choice is wrong for OP, its really which one he wants more.
View Quote

+1  I agree

If investment isn't being considered, just get what will make you happy and enjoy it while you can
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a dune buggy/rail for about $15k less than a SXS, and also get a machine gun.
View Quote
This.

What's an old DPV cost these days?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL, that reminds me of the Spike's Tactical build from years ago. Tried to find it, but seems to be lost to the photobucket crap
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Financially the M16 is the better choice but if you take that argument to an extreme he should be putting his money in bitcoin or some other hot asset. We also make choices that ignore finances completely, like having kids, which is just a big money pit that lasts 20+ years and often results in grandchildren which cost even more. But we do it because we want to.

View Quote

Solid advice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#22]
"LVJD" have you considered a Mac style Registered Receiver and maybe rent something a few  times to see if the SXS is for you? You seem to really enjoy pistol caliber. A M11A1 with a large magwell is about the size of a 1911. With a tungsten alloy bolt, it is a very different experience than the K/PDW K.

Have you owned something like a SXS? My impression is that tends to be a "lifestyle " than an occasional toy. As you know the machinegun tends to hold value. Unless you impulse buy, you will tend to maintain or gain value if you aren't happy with the machinegun and decide to put your cash elsewhere. If you buy a SXS and you don't like it, you will tend to loose money. You are familiar with the machinegun world. Do you really want to jump in with both feet to the world of SXS? The answer to that question might help you decide. Good luck with the purchase.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Honda Talon. YOLO. I did have enough left over in my budget to pick up a real HK 93 which I found on the HK board so I can throw my sear into that and rock that out FA. That’s just as good as an M16 right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I would feel bad tearing up a genuine HK93.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's just as good as an M16 right?
View Quote
IMHO, no, but mine are just C93 and HK53 clones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a Honda Talon. YOLO. I did have enough left over in my budget to pick up a real HK 93 which I found on the HK board so I can throw my sear into that and rock that out FA. That’s just as good as an M16 right?
View Quote

All my 53/93 clones but the single C93, are all made with either SW53 AR or SW93 AR receivers put together by Jeff at PCS. I am also fortunate enough that I have a DIAS and a lot of different uppers. The two systems have very different feel. Especially when you get into very short barrels. They both share the same magazines, but that is about where the similarities end. YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Tough call OP. I have a perfect Colt M16A1 that I hardly shoot. A couple of HK sears and some other sub guns. If you have most of these, and have some property than I understand ("what's the next fix") for me I got my rocks off now on buying gold 1oz US eagles. High, Low $$$ I know but when you start buying gold...it's fun. I can now say I own a POUND of GOLD!

Good luck, let us know what you spend that cash on!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tough call OP. I have a perfect Colt M16A1 that I hardly shoot. A couple of HK sears and some other sub guns. If you have most of these, and have some property than I understand ("what's the next fix") for me I got my rocks off now on buying gold 1oz US eagles. High, Low $$$ I know but when you start buying gold...it's fun. I can now say I own a POUND of GOLD!

Good luck, let us know what you spend that cash on!
View Quote

I went through my Gold buying phase in 2010. My gold has done well but I’ve taken a beating on platinum. At the time I thought palladium was silly nonsense and refused to buy any.

It’s funny, I moved a few weeks ago and packed all my gold into a non descriptive looking backpack which sat on my couch while the movers hauled out my furniture. If they only knew what was in there!  I finally wised up and moved it all to a safe deposit box.

On another note my wife enjoyed riding the Talon so much she sent me back to the dealer to buy a second one so I think that was the right choice. In all the years I’ve known her I’ve never seen her shoot any gun and she’s probably never going to unless the world goes full Mad Max but she does enjoy being outdoors so this’ll be something for the whole family. I think I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Another M16 is never a bad decision. I had one already and had been mulling over getting a 2nd one and finally pulled the trigger on a 2nd Colt M16 on election day no less. BUT there’s no substitute for making memories with your family, the SXS is/was clearly the better choice in your situation being that you already have an M16. Congrats on your new acquisitions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top