Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2024 11:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000]
Greetings Everyone,
I recently acquired a HxWrks suppressor and after providing some data for the MDRx 308 Characterization Report I thought I would try my hand again with a 308 conversion kit.
Nearly all of those groups/Ammo in the Characterization report were shot with a muzzle brake and not with a suppressor attached (As I see in DTs current stuff for the WLVRN and multiple magazine write ups)..
I figured I would Range Report with one on. FrozenIceman already has a thread on the MDRX 556 Range Report if you want to bump over their for his 10 shot groups.

I am aware that this does make the accuracy results harder to repeat for most folks and pushes this already expensive (soon to be forgotten weapon) into a category that requires an NFA device to replicate my results
...Which is why I did my original tests (some in the Characterization report and at the MDRInfo Gallery) with a muzzle brake...Also hoping DT would do something about it...

So this year they did..Desert Tech has acknowledged a Barrel Harmonics issue in the MDRX. Most Likely referring to the Fullpower rifles and not the intermediate set ups(Those all shoot well, they just heavy for caliber).
I figure this may be why the Barrel Block, Feedramp, Piston and Oprod connections were altered in the Wlvrn released at shot show this year.

This is probably why I can have 1 round (usually from bolt release) grow the group to 2.5moa but have 4 rounds inside 0.75moa when doing my 5 shot groups at that time.
Happened a few times with 168gr Fed GmmK and even a reloading recipe I was testing next to the Keltec RFB.
I imagine this may have also been the reason for WILD changes in POI when changing match ammo (typically 168gr) types .
1 change was a 4 inch Windage change which effectively put that group off paper unless I was aiming at the 10 ring
(My aiming points are the 10 ring then and of the #7s on the target..More opportunities to group but sometimes is a messy targert)..

(Copying Frozens' Write up here)
Rifle
MDRx 2020
DT Reflex Handguard
OEM 308 MDR FE Barrel W/MDRX Gen 3 gasblock and adjuster updates (Basically an MDRX barrel and block)
HXWrks 30cal Qd muzzle brake (Previously was the Cobalt Kinetics Variant of this mount)
Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount @ 1.5"
Acme Machine 1-8x34 LPVO
Covered Wood block at a rest for the front of the rifle.

Ammo Tested
@ 34.99 box   1.49moa average for (2) 10 shot groups*

@ 39.99 box   2.48moa average for (2) 10 shot groups

*I have 1 "Yea, but..." as the great Paul Harrel says.
Shot #3 on the #2 target was a mistake by me..Without that mistake..That group is 1.2moa..But.I left it in so...
as that previously mentioned person also says:
"You be the judge"

**Edit
I am kinda skeptical of the alleged accuracy improvement in the Wlvrn in 308/6.5cm..This is a screen shot of a 10 shot group (I assume) shot by CEO Nick Young (its from the video DT released on the Wlvrn and Sabertooth)..
And here is a screen grab from another shot show vid showing a 1.75moa 5 shot group for the MDRX next to what is probably a 1.25moa group from the Wlvrn (assuming a 30% accuracy improvement)..I also assume its from the Wlvrn in front of that poster.
Both of these show a Wlvrn with a suppressor attached.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Very Nicely done!

It looks like the characterization report shows 2.46 and 1.8 MOA groups with 168 grain as the baseline depending on muzzle device (Probably 5 shot groups though).  It looks like your performance shrunk by about 25% on your best group and even more if the Hornady calculator for group size growth is accounted for.  A very nice improvement!

Thank you for posting this!

And I do agree, we have to wait for the community tests on the Wlvrn to see performance improvement.  We haven't heard anything about a change in barrel profile and I think that is really where the advantage in performance may come from.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#2]
Well another range session today..I learned not to try for groups with the suppressor giving off major heat mirage..Nothing is where you thought it was..

So...Not a 10 shot group or 10 shot average..
But the suppressed 5 shot is 1.2moa..
Unsuppressed 5 shot is 3.2moa..I forgot how much this thing kicks with no recoil reduction..So the group may be unusually large..Oh well.Not doing that again..

168gr Hornady Black in the MDRX Suppressed 1.66 Moa Average.

S&B Match 168gr in the MDRX Suppressed 1.76 moa Average.
Second group was 1.3..And I took more time on those shots..Oh well..
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Impressive!

2 moa reduction between suppressor on and off.

That is some serious black magic there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:
Impressive!

2 moa reduction between suppressor on and off.

That is some serious black magic there.
View Quote

I suspect the MDRx barrel mount system just flexes - bad, when under load.  Which will throw off the muzzle.  I suspect the suppressor is acting like a great big anchor weight holding the end of the muzzle more stable via inertia, which is what's helping tighten the groups up.   I just made all that up, but that's what I think it's doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top