Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Goddamn it. Tan, 11.5 and lighter than the old chonky virtus? I think i'm finally hopping on the MCX train.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JsbsMarine:
Goddamn it. Tan, 11.5 and lighter than the old chonky virtus? I think i'm finally hopping on the MCX train.
View Quote
Please don't use Gods name like that.

I have an 11.5 Virtus. I changed out the rail to a midwest.  Lightens and slims it up quite a bit.  I don't mind keeping the barrel to be med weight
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:

I have an 11.5 Virtus. I changed out the rail to a midwest.  Lightens and slims it up quite a bit.  I don't mind keeping the barrel to be med weight
View Quote
Speaking of lightening up...

But yeah, so imagine changing the rail AND having a lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Upper receiver seems to have been put on a diet as well. The Midwest Industries handguard doesn't really lighten it up much at all.

Genuinely looking forward to this one, will have to part ways with stuff to free up funds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the thicc virtus barrel.
LW barrels are gross.
Rest of the gun looks neat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
I prefer the thicc virtus barrel.
LW barrels are gross.
Rest of the gun looks neat.
View Quote

Did we just become best friends?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:52:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniper3142] [#7]
I hope that the Generation 3 MCX will not have separate lines like the Virtus and Rattler.

That way we can get an MCX with a 5.5 inch 300BLK barrel, and then change out that barrel for a 9 inch 300BLK or 16 inch 5.56mm one.  Or maybe even something longer like a 18 inch 6mm ARC barrel!

Now THAT might be worth upgrading for (to some).
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#8]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:
I hope that the Generation 3 MCX will not have separate lines like the Virtus and Rattler.

That way we can get an MCX with a 5.5 inch 300BLK barrel, and then change out that barrel for a 9 inch 300BLK or 16 inch 5.56mm one.  Or maybe even something longer like a 18 inch 6mm ARC barrel!

View Quote
Based on photos already released, there's a gen3 rattler and gen3 mcx.

Eta: i never understood the quick change barrel fetish anyway. It makes some sense for a department or unit purchase i guess.

But commercially, for practical use, if I want to switch calibers it's better to just have a separate upper with optics already zeroed.

Pulling the gun apart to switch barrels, then rezero the optic doesn't really strike me as particularly convenient or useful.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Eta: i never understood the quick change barrel fetish anyway. It makes some sense for a department or unit purchase i guess.

But commercially, for practical use, if I want to switch calibers it's better to just have a separate upper with optics already zeroed.

Pulling the gun apart to switch barrels, then rezero the optic doesn't really strike me as particularly convenient or useful.

View All Quotes

If done well there's almost no downside. Ideally you end up with barrels that are easy for the aftermarket to make and then the possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

If done well there's almost no downside. Ideally you end up with barrels that are easy for the aftermarket to make and then the possibilities are endless.
View All Quotes

If the new Gen 3 barrels are like the SPEAR barrels they should be very easy to make, which means more incentive for the aftermarket to make them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
If given the choice between a second complete upper and a separate barrel/bolt combo, why would anyone prefer changing the barrel to switching the upper?

Seems like maybe other than cost, the barrel by itself is all downsides comparatively.

Second upper is faster, easier, more convenient, and you might actually use it.

Swapping barrels probably has more also academically than in real use.

I have a 13" and 16" barrel for my scar 17 and 10"/16" for the scar 16 and literally never change them from the short configuration. It requires tools, time, and then my optics aren't zeroed. The idea was that i could change out the barrel to reach out further if I wanted. Meh.

But my AR15s, i have all sorts of uppers with optics already zeroed that require like 10 seconds and popping 2 pins to go from 10" to 16 or 18". I often take one or two complete guns shooting with several uppers that i switch out. I can mix and match. I have a bunch of uppers that don't have a dedicated lower because it's so easy to pop them on and off.

Before heading overseas the last time, i put most of my guns in storage and just kept a 7" 300blk sbr with a 14.5" 556 upper in the safe. Aimpoint on the 300blk, lpvo on the 556. Covers lots of bases and takes seconds to switch configurations and be ready to use the the gun.

I would have kept the rattler instead but I don't have a 556 upper to switch out.

I just don't get the barrel change fetish for the mcx. Additionally, any compatibility concerns between the various versions of the mcx are nullified if you're just swapping uppers.

I mean, by all means - like things i don't like. Vote with your dollar and all that. I am just saying i don't get the people who clamor for the capability like it's a make or break feature.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniper3142] [#12]
With a good setup, you don't have to change anything other then the barrel.  There is no need to re-zero optics if you know the different dope a settings for each barrel and/or caliber.  The UPPER with the OPTIC doesn't change or move.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
If the new Gen 3 barrels are like the SPEAR barrels they should be very easy to make, which means more incentive for the aftermarket to make them.
View Quote

That would be cool. I don't know much about the SPEAR but it seems pretty awesome.
If given the choice between a second complete upper and a separate barrel/bolt combo, why would anyone prefer changing the barrel to switching the upper?

Seems like maybe other than cost, the barrel by itself is all downsides comparatively.

Second upper is faster, easier, more convenient, and you might actually use it.

Swapping barrels probably has more also academically than in real use.

I have a 13" and 16" barrel for my scar 17 and 10"/16" for the scar 16 and literally never change them from the short configuration. It requires tools, time, and then my optics aren't zeroed. The idea was that i could change out the barrel to reach out further if I wanted. Meh.

But my AR15s, i have all sorts of uppers with optics already zeroed that require like 10 seconds and popping 2 pins to go from 10" to 16 or 18". I often take one or two complete guns shooting with several uppers that i switch out. I can mix and match. I have a bunch of uppers that don't have a dedicated lower because it's so easy to pop them on and off.

Before heading overseas the last time, i put most of my guns in storage and just kept a 7" 300blk sbr with a 14.5" 556 upper in the safe. Aimpoint on the 300blk, lpvo on the 556. Covers lots of bases and takes seconds to switch configurations and be ready to use the the gun.

I would have kept the rattler instead but I don't have a 556 upper to switch out.

I just don't get the barrel change fetish for the mcx. Additionally, any compatibility concerns between the various versions of the mcx are nullified if you're just swapping uppers.

I mean, by all means - like things i don't like. Vote with your dollar and all that. I am just saying i don't get the people who clamor for the capability like it's a make or break feature.
View Quote

It just depends on what you're trying to do. Cost is a major consideration for most people. A good QD setup can be almost as fast as swapping the upper. I agree that a complete upper is easier especially if it's just a range gun. A barrel can be pretty compact and easy to store. If it was an actual mission requirement it could be handy. A lot of the cool combos use the same bolt so it's quick and easy ie 223/300 Blackout or 308/8.6 Blackout. Even just a longer heavier barrel paired with a shorter lighter barrel can be handy.

Understand in practice I am with you I just understand why the feature can be pretty cool and help with aftermarket stuff. Honestly as long as it's set up like most of these barrels including the AR's I'm sure someone will pick them up. Sig just needs to make enough of them for long enough and the market will take over.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
With a good setup, you don't have to change anything other then the barrel.  There is no need to re-zero optics if you know the different dope a settings for each barrel and/or caliber.  The UPPER with the OPTIC doesn't change or move.

View Quote
When changing the barrel and the optic doesn't move... The optic is still zeroed for the old barrel. Not the one you just installed.

Knowing your dope only works if you're tracking windage and elevation differences.

So you're either "rezeroing" by adjusting the zero of the optic, or you're mentally trying to keep in mind kentucky windage on two axis for every shot.

"When I have the 556 barrel, it shoots poa/poi, but the 300blk barrel shoots 2moa to the left and 1.5moa low."

No thanks.

Also if I'm going from 16" 556 to 9" 300blk, it's a safe bet I want different optics anyway.

Again, if it floats your boat that's great. But it really isn't that great of a feature objectively. And certainly not without downsides compared to just swapping uppers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]

That would be cool. I don't know much about the SPEAR but it seems pretty awesome.

It just depends on what you're trying to do. Cost is a major consideration for most people. A good QD setup can be almost as fast as swapping the upper. I agree that a complete upper is easier especially if it's just a range gun. A barrel can be pretty compact and easy to store. If it was an actual mission requirement it could be handy. A lot of the cool combos use the same bolt so it's quick and easy ie 223/300 Blackout or 308/8.6 Blackout. Even just a longer heavier barrel paired with a shorter lighter barrel can be handy.

Understand in practice I am with you I just understand why the feature can be pretty cool and help with aftermarket stuff. Honestly as long as it's set up like most of these barrels including the AR's I'm sure someone will pick them up. Sig just needs to make enough of them for long enough and the market will take over.
View Quote
That's fair.

I would point out, however, that those for whom cost is a major consideration are also those who would mainly be using it on the range.

Also changing the barrel on the mcx requires popping off the handguard (easy) then pulling 2 bolts with a torx wrench, putting the new barrel on, and then torquing them each to 60 in lbs. And reinstalling the handguard.

Hardly a complex task. But it requires tools, including a torque wrench if you want to make sure the installation is consistent every time, and considerably more time than what I'd consider "quick change" (a la m240 or 249) or something you'd ever do in the field of you could avoid it.

Again I think the idea appeals to some people on paper more than it translates into actual practical utility. But those people are really loud around here it seems

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#16]
[ChannelMo] ????????? Defense & Security 2022 ???????????????????????

MCX LT (20:20)
defense & security 2022 thailand
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]

The Ambi safety looks like an afterthought and kinda bad. That being said maybe someone could modify current lowers to accept it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MGYSGT8541] [#18]
That's fair.

I would point out, however, that those for whom cost is a major consideration are also those who would mainly be using it on the range.

Also changing the barrel on the mcx requires popping off the handguard (easy) then pulling 2 bolts with a torx wrench, putting the new barrel on, and then torquing them each to 60 in lbs. And reinstalling the handguard.

Hardly a complex task. But it requires tools, including a torque wrench if you want to make sure the installation is consistent every time, and considerably more time than what I'd consider "quick change" (a la m240 or 249) or something you'd ever do in the field of you could avoid it.

Again I think the idea appeals to some people on paper more than it translates into actual practical utility. But those people are really loud around here it seems

View Quote
Sounds like you have it all figured out.  Try to get an engineering job with sig or design your own weapons and fix the issues you see in the MCX. You could be with next Hurt or Stoner
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you have it all figured out.  Try to get an engineering job with sig or design your own weapons and fix the issues you see in the MCX. You could be with next Hurt or Stoner
View All Quotes
That's fair.

Thanks for noticing.

You seem to have misunderstood me though. I don't have issues with the mcx platform. I have issues with the people here clamoring for quick change barrel and caliber functionality as if it would make the difference between the platform being worth buying or not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:

The Ambi safety looks like an afterthought and kinda bad. That being said maybe someone could modify current lowers to accept it.
View All Quotes

I mean, it's basically the PDQ lever. If you run an MCX on an AR lower you could just use that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I mean, it's basically the PDQ lever. If you run an MCX on an AR lower you could just use that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

If you're talking about the ambi bolt lock/release, it's one of the more elegant designs out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
If you're talking about the ambi bolt lock/release, it's one of the more elegant designs out there.
View Quote

HK has been doing something similar with the 416 since the A5 was released:
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:32:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoogieMan2] [#23]
That's fair.

View Quote

249s and 240s are also open bolt weapons that are meant for completely different things. I get what you’re saying but I disagree.

Some people see the value in having.a bunch of systems to fit a few different roles, others want their one system to fit as many roles as possible. To each their own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BoogieMan2:

249s and 240s are also open bolt weapons that are meant for completely different things. I get what you're saying but I disagree.

Some people see the value in having.a bunch of systems to fit a few different roles, others want their one system to fit as many roles as possible. To each their own.
View Quote
An mcx or AR with multiple uppers serves the same "one system fitting many roles as possible" concept as interchangeable (not to be confused with quick change) barrels. Except better and faster.

That's my point. Even the guys that want this capability aren't typically best served by the design of changing out the barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:09:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uniquesnd] [#25]
Originally Posted By 60-Driver:

https://blackopsdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/DSC_0018.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 60-Driver:
Originally Posted By JAG2955:

https://blackopsdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/DSC_0018.jpg

I am talking about how the just milled an area away and slapped the lever in leaving a weird gap in the shelf. The forging did not change at all to accommodate it, HK actually changed the forgings on the Ambi model.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]

I am talking about how the just milled an area away and slapped the lever in leaving a weird gap in the shelf. The forging did not change at all to accommodate it, HK actually changed the forgings on the Ambi model.
View Quote

Ahh ok I see what you're saying.  Unfortunately I think the shape of the MCX lower makes it harder for a more elegant solution without redesigning the lower/ambi catch.  A simple endmill would be all that's necessary to modify an existing lower though.

The M400 switchblade uses the same(?) ambi bolt catch and looks much better on a more traditional profile AR lower:
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Good news, everyone!

GT just posted a video of his review on the Spear LT. About what you'd expect, it's an improvement on the Virtus and ~13 ounces lighter. Mil version apparently has titanium components in some places instead of steel for further weight reduction, though he didn't have any real details about that. (Gas block and components, the bolt carrier, or just the steel insert wear parts?) I kinda liked the steel QD's in the Virtus handguard, but that's a very minor gripe. I do like the new locking stock latch, that's a nice detail.

The SIG SPEAR LT in 5.56, The new rifle of the SAS and SOCOM/Gen 3 MCX
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:30:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OBXT] [#28]
TFB video.  Gives some details on 7.62x39 version. The 7.62 version will be available at launch,

The SIG MCX Spear LT: New MCX, Old Caliber...
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Gib...

Yep, 11.5 pistol for me.

any1 see one avail, LMK
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Will there be a SD handguard available?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger97:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#33]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Yes.
View All Quotes

Yes.

What models will be available initially?  Not hand guards.  I mean the MCX Spears.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#34]
is there any compatibility between the virtus and the new LT?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By wwen:
View Quote

Yeah, I’m kind of wondering the same. If the handgaurd Compatibility is just an issue of no place for the set screws on the virtus upper, I don’t care about that. If it doesn’t fit at all like a virtus/rattler type situation, that kinda sucks even more.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#36]
Originally Posted By G3k:

Yeah, I’m kind of wondering the same. If the handgaurd Compatibility is just an issue of no place for the set screws on the virtus upper, I don’t care about that. If it doesn’t fit at all like a virtus/rattler type situation, that kinda sucks even more.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G3k:
Originally Posted By wwen:

One of the articles said parts are backwards comparison except for the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Handguards are not compatible, Military Arms channel has a video coming out where he goes over most of the differences between the virtus and spear LT
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting that they were showcasing them all with the Kate Moss stocks. I was under the impression the collapsing, folding ones were the ones to have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Interesting that they were showcasing them all with the Kate Moss stocks. I was under the impression the collapsing, folding ones were the ones to have.
View Quote

That's the Minimalist Plus stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Like I said in the GD Garand Thumb MCX thread. Coming soon to a GunBroker ad near you for 4K. You know that's where they are going to wind up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#41]
Originally Posted By big_aug:

What models will be available initially?  Not hand guards.  I mean the MCX Spears.
View All Quotes

Yes.

These are the SPEAR-LT.  It will be in the following configs:

9" 300BO, Pistol and SBR
11.5” 556, Pistol and SBR
11.5” 762x39, Pistol and SBR
16" 556 Rifle
16" 762x39 Rifle

Edited - 556 and x39 pistols/SBR are 11.5”.  I was lazy and just put 11” initially.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]

9" 300BO, Pistol and SBR
11" 556, Pistol and SBR
11" 762x39, Pistol and SBR
16" 556 Rifle
16" 762x39 Rifle
View All Quotes

Yes.

9" 300BO, Pistol and SBR
11" 556, Pistol and SBR
16" 556 Rifle
16" 762x39 Rifle

These are coming before the big Spear?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#43]

9" 300BO, Pistol and SBR
11" 556, Pistol and SBR
16" 556 Rifle
16" 762x39 Rifle
View Quote

Any chance the 5.56 10.5” barrel might be available in the future?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#44]
@coregon

Few questions based on what's been released in the videos...

1) Garand Thumb said that the Gen 3 (Spear LT?) handguard WILL NOT be backwards compatible with the Virtus. Did I hear this correctly? If this be the case, can you clarify any other "major" compability yes/no's on the new release and the Virtus.

2) It looks like SIG has an optic to challenge an EOTECH [SCREENSHOT BELOW], do you have any teaser info on this as well?

3) Are the new SIG suppressors going to only be compatible with the new muzzle devices on the Spear LT?

Thanks for the info!

ETA: Point where GT says the handguards "won't" be compatible with the Virtus

Compatibility?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cheekibreeki] [#45]
Upscaled version of that pic to see as much detail on it:

I wonder if it's an actual American optic, and not the Chinese optics Sig pretends are American.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:
Upscaled version of that pic to see as much detail on it:
https://i.imgur.com/c0m5YU6.jpg

I wonder if it's an actual American optic, and not the Chinese optics Sig pretends are American.
View Quote

Honestly fellas doesn't it look like an open emitter version of their closed emitter Romeo8T which is assembled in the USA. It will most likely be assembled in the USA as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
If the glass stuffs made in Philippines or Japan they should say, some reason doesnt rub me like made in China does
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GrAvril:
If the glass stuffs made in Philippines or Japan they should say, some reason doesnt rub me like made in China does
View Quote

Parts may still be ordered from Huanic in China and assembled in the USA by SIG.

My Holosun HE-508T's, my HE-510C and my SIG Romeo4T and other Romeo's all work great and have great reticle selection and features. Yes there may be nicer but you'd be surprised.

I respect your opinion and decisions though. It is your hard earned money to spend.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#49]
so over the virtus what are we getting

6 oz lighter
MI style slimmer handguard
ambi bolt release
fde color

everything else... well only one thing we gaining in the virtus is 7.62x39...
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bigchillin83:
so over the virtus what are we getting

6 oz lighter
MI style slimmer handguard
ambi bolt release
fde color

everything else... well only one thing we gaining in the virtus is 7.62x39...
View Quote

It takes AR-15 triggers. Also, the handguard is fastened in place so mounted aiming devices aren't knocked off zero (Arisaka recently released a band-aid solution for the virtus).
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top