Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2020 10:52:09 PM EDT
I have a couple questions for experienced M82 owners.  First, do any of you keep your mags loaded for extended periods of time, in other words store them loaded?   I'm curious because Barret advises to NOT keep mags loaded for long duration.  Second does anyone use M107 mags in their M82A1?  They are supposed to be interchangeable but at $170 a pop I would want to be sure they are just as reliable in the M82.  The only real advantage is the witness holes to visually check round count and the fact that you can get the M107 mags in FDE which I think would look cool in a black M82.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a couple questions for experienced M82 owners.  First, do any of you keep your mags loaded for extended periods of time, in other words store them loaded?   I'm curious because Barret advises to NOT keep mags loaded for long duration.  Second does anyone use M107 mags in their M82A1?  They are supposed to be interchangeable but at $170 a pop I would want to be sure they are just as reliable in the M82.  The only real advantage is the witness holes to visually check round count and the fact that you can get the M107 mags in FDE which I think would look cool in a black M82.
View Quote
I don't store mine loaded, I load as many as I plan to shoot in a magazine or 2 the day of. I wouldn't bother with m107 mags if you can get the m82a1 cheaper. I got most of mine off eBay back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep mine loaded, no probs but haven't shot them much
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Find out if replacement springs are available and test one to failure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With modern spring steel, you should be able to keep them loaded indefinitely without any problems. Plus being loaded and stored, the steel isn't being put to continuous use, which would wear them out faster than being stored loaded.

They're yours so YMMV, if you don't want to keep them loaded it's your decision. Either way you should be good to go.
View Quote

It's not a big deal either way, I just was thinking maybe there is some reason that Barrett would state they should be kept unloaded, like maybe the weight of the rounds putting a lot of stress on the springs if stored that way.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not a big deal either way, I just was thinking maybe there is some reason that Barrett would state they should be kept unloaded, like maybe the weight of the rounds putting a lot of stress on the springs if stored that way.  
View Quote

We used to keep 82A1 mags loaded in the vault for a really long time. There were a few in there loaded for about 2 years. We took them out and fired them. Worked great.
Not sure who put that out at Barrett. There has been such a huge turn around since I left.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep mine loaded with 9 rounds, and have no worries about the springs.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top