User Panel

Site Notices
M249s (Page 5 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogesco93:
So the new triggers are that bad? I'm liquidating unused stuff to get in on this, didn't realize the changes were that significant
View Quote
It's heavy. It doesn't prevent me from enjoying the gun - far from it. But I would love something lighter!
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d be interested in purchasing one as well
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Before I buy this barrel, can anyone confirm that the FH is an NT4 mount/

MK46 barrel:

This is the actual KAC mount. It looks identical to me.

Thanks

(Cross posting from the KAC forum)
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By los28z:
I’d be interested in purchasing one as well
View Quote

Noted.  I was talking to my machinist yesterday and it looks like a go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d be interested in one as well
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#6]
Anyone with a Para want to show how the flash hider is welded on to the barrel? Is it a simple tack weld that can be cut easily or a more involved process?

Thanks

Eta: Thanks to Ecco machine, I found this 9/16x24 to 1/2x28 adapter.

https://www.thesilencerstore.com/product-p/ad-ar-004lh.htm

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:22:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ehtacs] [#7]
Originally Posted By goloud:
Before I buy this barrel, can anyone confirm that the FH is an NT4 mount/

MK46 barrel:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83570/5BD97CB0-2644-43B6-B7BD-FB27CD43701D-2504507.jpg

This is the actual KAC mount. It looks identical to me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83570/88F86650-7305-4262-9B7A-AAA96E9FDBED-2504508.jpg

Thanks

(Cross posting from the KAC forum)
View Quote
FWIW my Gemtech Halo does not fit over the muzzle device - it's a hair too girthy over the normal A2 diameters. Here's a photo, though!.. Sorta looks like a rebar cutter? Take-off from my mk46 barrel:

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

The NT4 QDSS Flash Hider has the same cut.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!

The NT4 QDSS Flash Hider has the same cut.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83570/F5454DB6-7B95-4045-8A45-C9F102A2C799-2507360.jpg
View Quote
The NT4 is not a symmetrical cut, though. One side is angled and the other is squared:

I believe it's also standard A2 diameter?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
The NT4 is not a symmetrical cut, though. One side is angled and the other is squared:

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/arr-kac-93048_715_detail.jpg
I believe it's also standard A2 diameter?
View Quote

True. Is the 249 Para flash hider symmetrical?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]

True. Is the 249 Para flash hider symmetrical?
View Quote
Indeed! Flipped it around for ya. If you're hunting for a combo, the Surefire muzzle and a SOCOM-556 would be excellent. Or the MG version if you're doing high volume.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goloud] [#12]
Indeed! Flipped it around for ya. If you're hunting for a combo, the Surefire muzzle and a SOCOM-556 would be excellent. Or the MG version if you're doing high volume.

https://i.imgur.com/ZTIqksQ.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for that.

I want to run the NT4 since it’s pretty much bombproof.

I also have a 300BLK barrel in process…

Eta: here’s the one I just bought:

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lumpyboy] [#13]
Originally Posted By ProbableColtAddict:
Be aware, I cannot guarantee you a Gen 1 slide hammer will work with a Gen 3 bolt carrier/bolt/firing pin setup.  It looks to me like is should but it's going to have to be tested.  When the time comes, I'm going to need someone with a Gen 3 rifle to either test it for me or, and this is the best scenario, meet with me so that we can test it together.  I would think that a few hundred rounds would be sufficient.  The machinist I'm using has been at it continually since 1963, first in the military and then, after mustering out in 1984, on his own.  We spent a fair amount of time at his shop today, testing the hardness on mine, discussing what needs to be done, the best material, how many we should make, etc.   I left mine with him and he'll have pricing for me in a few days.  These aren't going to be cheap, probably (not certainly but probably) around $210 each shipped.  He's a one man band and it takes him a while but his work is Quality
View Quote

I’m 100% in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Me too- 100%
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#15]

MK 48 MOD 2
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
They welded mine 270 degrees around the flash hider.  No easy task to get off
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW my Gemtech Halo does not fit over the muzzle device - it's a hair too girthy over the normal A2 diameters. Here's a photo, though!.. Sorta looks like a rebar cutter? Take-off from my mk46 barrel:

https://i.imgur.com/wZJVNXw.jpg
View Quote

Not a rebar cutter. That’s how the NT4 indexes on the flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
The official KAC 249 Para NT4 mount:

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump for a trigger upgrade!  I’m in for one if/when available.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/11/05/five-challenges-beltfed-rifle-suppressor/

I must have got a pre-upgrade version. My trigger pull is long but feels like about 5-6lbs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
You can own a belt fed, (M249S and Fightlite MCR, featuring kit setup)
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Well guess market price on these will be going up. 😂

I love his videos!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Be aware, I cannot guarantee you a Gen 1 slide hammer will work with a Gen 3 bolt carrier/bolt/firing pin setup.  It looks to me like is should but it's going to have to be tested.  When the time comes, I'm going to need someone with a Gen 3 rifle to either test it for me or, and this is the best scenario, meet with me so that we can test it together.  I would think that a few hundred rounds would be sufficient.  The machinist I'm using has been at it continually since 1963, first in the military and then, after mustering out in 1984, on his own.  We spent a fair amount of time at his shop today, testing the hardness on mine, discussing what needs to be done, the best material, how many we should make, etc.   I left mine with him and he'll have pricing for me in a few days.  These aren't going to be cheap, probably (not certainly but probably) around $210 each shipped.  He's a one man band and it takes him a while but his work is Quality.  I recently had him reproduce a run of VZ 58Pi scope rails for me and it's dead on accurate to the original:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab269/Combloc/P1210639.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab269/Combloc/P1210640.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab269/Combloc/P1210641.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab269/Combloc/P1210643.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab269/Combloc/P1210652.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
View Quote

Please PM me when you are all set up for sale.

I'm in 100%
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Elcunning:

Please PM me when you are all set up for sale.

I'm in 100%
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Just wanted to follow up and see if anyone has had any luck in designing a lighter trigger weight?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#27]
Shot the 249s in the 2gun this weekend for fun and it still is one of my favorites. It also looks way good on the ride home in my FJ80 series with the night mode lighting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
@ProbableColtAddict

Checking in - did you ever get those made?

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Saw you said you got yours down to 9 pounds...  That almost hurts me to say out loud:  down to 9 pounds.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
@ProbableColtAddict

Checking in - did you ever get those made?

View Quote

Unfortunately, they have not been made.  After the part sat at the machinist's shop for many months, I retrieved it for fear it might become lost.  I informed him that I would be more than happy to bring it back when he was caught up and ready to begin production.  I never heard back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ben:
Well ok then. Time to 3d print replacement original parts. Anyone have a metal capable 3d printer?
View Quote

DMLS machines run $800K-$1M, you probably want to reach out to a prototyping shop for that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't have a 3d printer, but I do have access to a foundry, cnc machines, a robot and an RnD team that would do it as a side project.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict] [#35]
I just solved a mystery today.

For years now, I've wondered about a mark on the bottom of my M249 receiver:

I assumed it was a manufacturer's mark of a/the company that FN outsources their receivers from but I was never able to figure out who it was.  Today, on a different forum, someone was asking about an AK they bought with a receiver made by "Morrissey Inc. Bloomington, MN". and it clicked.  

After searching them online and checking out their website, I'm 99.9% certain Morrissey Incorporated supplies receivers to FN:
https://morrisseyinc.com/

I think it's likely that FN outsources all of their M249 receiver stampings to other defense contractors and does the final assembly at their Columbia plant. FN probably fits the trunnion, rails, tripod mount, etc., but the actual rough receiver stamping and shaping on every 249 that leaves the Columbia plant is done by companies such as Morrissey.

Another mystery solved!  I'm sure some of you guys already knew this but I'm not too bright and this was quite the find for me.

EDIT.  I've found some receivers marked as FN in this area.  SO, that means FN both builds their own receivers AND outsources them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
Shot the 249s in the 2gun this weekend for fun and it still is one of my favorites. It also looks way good on the ride home in my FJ80 series with the night mode lighting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254860/F4130CBD-48E0-41DF-A906-B08345AEEE95_jpe-2644192.JPG
View Quote

Would love to see more pictures of this.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag. I pick my M249s tomorrow. I'm hoping the trigger isn't as bad as everyone is saying.

What accessories should I be looking to get?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#38]
Originally Posted By MP15T:
I'm hoping the trigger isn't as bad as everyone is saying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm hoping the trigger isn't as bad as everyone is saying.
If it's a current production gun, it absolutely will be.

What accessories should I be looking to get?
The military tri-rail (or RAS), whatever stock(s) and barrel(s) you want, extra soft packs and starter tabs, a bunch of M27 links, and a big silver Harbor Freight tarp and bucket to collect said links.

Attachment Attached File

You'll need the improved (tubular) bipod if you want to run a VFG (or anything on the bottom of the RAS) and still be able to fold the bipod aft.

MK46 barrel if you want a lightweight (SBR) barrel.

If you can find a MK46 bipod, they're lighter weight, but rarely come up for sale. The MK46 fixed stock is like an M249 stock, but just has a synthetic butt plate instead of the aluminum and steel "shoulder thing that goes up" so the MK46 version is more comfortable.

The M192 tripod, if you hate money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are some accessories you can get.  Not pictured (I've added since) are FN Minimi barrel assembly, Minimi para stock, SAVIT stock, and an Elcan M134a.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup. Trigger sucks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Yup. Trigger sucks.

View Quote
I think it's just the geometry with how one of the sears interfaces with the hammer/slide. The trigger is light with the pack removed from the gun but heavy once you push the hammer into it. I suspect filing the sear to be vertical rather than angled (towards the hammer) would halve the trigger weight but I turned mine into a post sample before I fiddled. I'll take another look soon!

This is what it should look like with a vertical sear sticking out the top of the trigger group:

If you look at yours, you'll notice is angled towards the rear which means the trigger has to push the hammer back before it can move forward.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#42]
@ehtacs

What route did you go to Post Sample? A conversion has been on my list of things to do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SteelSC:
@ehtacs

What route did you go to Post Sample? A conversion has been on my list of things to do.
View Quote
A conversion kit that'll drop into any semi-auto needs:
  • full auto trigger pack
  • full auto op rod
  • full auto slide/bolt
Op rod and trigger pack need some light milling to fit. It's pretty obvious when you first install the full-auto parts. The bolt and carrier/slide are fine as-is: don't do whatever this dipshit did . Whoever bought these parts got fucking hosed
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 3:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#44]
  • full auto trigger pack
View All Quotes
  • full auto trigger pack
You don't actually need a whole pack.

The semi-auto FCG has holes in the exact same places and the clearance inside is identical.
You just need the trigger assembly, sear, and sear spring. (The safety is the same.)

• full auto op rod
  • This is what gets clearanced to bypass the extra rail in the bottom of the receiver.
    (Just look at the semi-auto op rod and it'll be obvious what the difference is.)
    This is the component you should serialize, since it's technically the "conversion device".

• full auto slide/bolt
  • Op rod and trigger pack need some light milling to fit. It's pretty obvious when you first install the full-auto parts. The bolt and carrier/slide are fine as-is
    You can use your existing bolt. It just has extra holes in it (for the firing pin retainer).
    Remove the semi-auto firing pin and associated parts, and it's good to go.
    Link Posted: 9/9/2023 5:53:36 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Since these have been around for years now and the cat's out of the bag I can finally say this.  When I first bought mine and looked at how it was converted, I couldn't believe the ATF approved the design.
    Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:14:27 PM EDT
    [#46]
    I couldn't believe the ATF approved the design.
    View Quote
    I mean, look at the PS90.
    Good stuff.

Yet they'll rake Tom Bostic over the coals for his T36 receiver.

ATF doesn't make any sense.
    Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:22:43 PM EDT
    [#47]
    If you have access to original parts, machinery, and $5k-15k to throw at the project, they're all pretty easy, no? They did a good job making it so factory full-auto parts wouldn't drop in and you weren't going to make it happen with a Dremel... Or in the case of the PS90, a butter knife

Anyone have a sling recommendation? I'm torn between the Vickers (https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-m249-saw-sling.html) and the Viking (https://www.vikingtactics.com/shop/vtac-wide-padded-sling-upgrade/). Vickers looks purpose built but the VTAC looks higher quality. Anything else that should be considered?
    Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:52:00 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#48]
    Anyone have a sling recommendation? I'm torn between the Vickers (https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling-m249-saw-sling.html) and the Viking (https://www.vikingtactics.com/shop/vtac-wide-padded-sling-upgrade/). Vickers looks purpose built but the VTAC looks higher quality. Anything else that should be considered?
    View Quote
    You should consider heat resistance.

That's why I chose the Vickers SAW sling. Mine hasn't arrived yet. I also ordered an ITW M.A.S.H. Hook (1.25") from EmdomUSA like Vickers used in the promo video (since the BFG wire loop stuff uses a polymer coating which can warp/melt).

I did get the BFG Belt Fed Loop for the rear attachment, just so I can easily swap stocks.
    Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:06:38 PM EDT
    [#49]
    I ended up going with the VTAC! I've only owned one BFG sling and wasn't impressed. The Nomex sounds interesting but I'll see how the VTAC does first. We're shooting 200 rounds at a time and either switching barrels in-between or cooling everything entirely. The receiver has gotten warm to the touch but never hot enough that I'd be concerned about the sling... No more so than like a suppressor on a short barrel at least which hasn't posed a problem yet.

Those ITW Mash Hooks look perfect, though! Grabbing two of those!
    Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:20:32 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#50]
    The receiver has gotten warm to the touch but never hot enough that I'd be concerned about the sling...
    View All Quotes
    The receiver has gotten warm to the touch but never hot enough that I'd be concerned about the sling...
    It's more about if the sling is ever accidentally draped over a hot barrel.

No more so than like a suppressor on a short barrel at least which hasn't posed a problem yet.
    Man I've seen hot sound suppressors melt all kinds of stuff.

Haven't seen any slings melted in-person, but I'm sure somebody has ruined one.

Full auto SAWs get crazy hot if you're practicing stuff like Final Protective Fire, which I don't want to try with my own barrel, but if it happens I do want the sling to function afterwards.

Those ITW Mash Hooks look perfect, though! Grabbing two of those!
    Cool! The only thing I dislike about them is they're loud, rattling around.
    The silencers like Emdom sells can melt and make a mess, but I'm going to try some 1" automotive heat-resistant tubing covers and see if they'll silence it.

The first time I saw those MASH Hooks was when NSW was running them on their MK18 Mod 0 carbines, and I didn't know what they were at the time. Very strong retention.

Idk if they're still being produced, or if EmdomUSA is just sitting on old stock.
    Looks like ITW (Illinois Tool Works) got out of the military buckle business in 2012.
    Page / 6
    M249s (Page 5 of 6)
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top