Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2024 10:48:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a "Tanker" so when you experience muzzle blast&accuracy  issues yoy still have your unmolested early 90's rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Bbl that short=lots of muzzle blast. One of the main reasons Tanker Garands never made it to production (but not the only reason). Groups also noticeable larger@100yds+ from everything I've read. They can be "closed up" but takes some attention to various components on the rifle. Ck out the M14 forum. Depends a lot on what you're expecting accuracy wise. Not everyone is looking for match rifle. Had a late 80's- early 90's loaded. Looking for a 18-19" Bush rifle....thinking it would be a good compromise ( if there is such a thing)
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:46:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
I have a friend with a Tanker.  I will say the 18" BBL and the 2" long muzzle break (just a cylinder with 1/4" holes all in it) is considerably milder and more pleasant than the SOCOM that another friend has and brought, where the SOCOM has the 1.5" muzzle break.  By quite a lot actually, with almost no recoil.  I have to say at first I thought it an abomination, but very quickly after running 100 rounds of Estate Sale ammo though it we got for next to nothing - I kind of fell in love with that gun.  Very pleasant, and blast is very mild, and power and accuracy surprisingly good.

( On a side note - estate sales are ramping up.  In a span of 3 months I've gotten calls for 2 100+ gun plus tons of ammo family liquidation sales going on.  Some people want gun-broker prices, some people want to just dump and go.  That neckbeard .22LR  ammo from the Obama years is coming back to the market now, being dumped for a penny a round or less.  The .308 Ammo I mentioned just lighting up; was part of loosies cardboard box of a 1000+ various random factory rounds I got for about $20.  As a moment of reflection if you're in your 60's and have more guns than you can count and an ammo shelf measurable in tons; may I suggest that now would be a good time to stop - and start spending that money on other things; because that shit's going to get dumped for pennies.  The SOCOM rifle I mentioned my friend was shooting - was sold unfired for $300 by the family who were just dumping the stuff and wanted to just stay below the radar and do cash - so invite-only type of gig.  I showed up as an vouched endorsed friend-of-a-friend.  Let's just say I'm well set on .22 and 12 ga now!)

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:04:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
...   ...   The SOCOM rifle I mentioned my friend was shooting - was sold unfired for $300 by the family who were just dumping the stuff and wanted to just stay below the radar and do cash - so invite-only type of gig.

View Quote

$300 M1A SOCOM?   Hell of a deal!!

For O.P.  

M1A options from Springfield were:

"Standard" with 22" barrel & flashider

"Scout" with 18" barrel + forward "scout" type optic mount

"SOCOM" with 16" barrel & muzzle brake.& "Scout" type forward optic mount.

"Tanker" is considered to be a cut down shorty M1A Garand

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Why do you say that?
View Quote

I have a Polytech that I turned into a "Tanker" by installing an 18 1/2" barrel. I then installed a Springfield muzzle brake.  Now, I always shoot with earmuffs AND earplugs. After 5 shots, I too it home and installed a Polytech fake Flash Suppressor.  We can't have Flash Hiders/Suppressors here.  I have both "Tanker" Garands and M14s, and I like the handiness of them, but the blast is disconcerting.  I really don't understand the attraction of the 16" barreled rifles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:20:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#9]
Dang I wish I could find one for 300!

I'm almost certain mine is a 22". Can you cut it down to 16" without modifying the gas system?
View Quote

STANDARD (22")

SCOUT (18")

SOCOM (16")

IF you had a gun smith cut your existing barrel, it would need the muzzle end to be threaded for a brake or flash hider, and most likely the gas port 'opened' to run that very short gas system - the barrel ends practically right at the end of the gas band.  You might be able to have a good M1A gunsmith do the work off of your existing barrel.  If you plan to run a suppressor, having the muzzle end cut & threaded concentrically will be extremely important to avoid baffle strikes in your suppressor.

You wouldn't have to modify the rest of the gas system, but you'd need someone who knows what they are doing regarding the gas port.   If you change out the barrel to a "factory 16") you need a gunsmith who has the proper jigs / fixtures to change out a M1-A barrel and head space it (depending on receiver / bolt / barrel condition you might need to replace your existing bolt with a fresh bolt).

You might be best off to sell your existing M-1A and just buy a SOCOM or Scout to pay the difference.  

Some of the 90's guns had a fair amount of USGI parts in them and might get some premium for that factor.

Good Luck either way!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Okay. Thanks.

Mine does have a fair amount of gi parts on it. If it's going to be a pain to modify I may sell it. What are they worth? It's pristine.
View Quote

Check GunBroker, older rifles are worth more because they use G.I. parts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Okay. Thanks.

Mine does have a fair amount of gi parts on it. If it's going to be a pain to modify I may sell it. What are they worth? It's pristine.
View Quote

You are better off buying a new Springfield in the desired barrel length and selling the 90s gun with USGI parts, it is worth more and you will lose a bunch of money in the gunsmith work if you modded it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#14]
Also something to consider.
If you really plan to run a suppressor - an AR-10 with a adjustable gas block would be a much better platform

Garands & derivatives like the M-14 & M1A are susceptible to bending or breaking the operating rod with none-specifcation loads. Shooting heavy bullets in a Grand derivative is risking bending - breaking to operating rod unless you turn off the gas at the cylinder. Then you only have manual operated - non-semiautomatic fire.

Plus mounting an optic on a M1-A sucks compared to an AR-10.

If you wanted a 16" 7.62x51 NATO magazine fed semi-auto that could easily run a Suppressor then I'd look at a AR-10 or maybe PTR-91 "K" before a M1-A SOCOM or similar.

Just .02 cents from my experiences

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#17]

The Tanker is going to have a significant increase in blast as noted, and also as noted the Scout (18" barrel with the longer ported comp/brake described) does seem to be what many would call the perfect M1A do-all variant.
I picked my Tanker up to leave pretty much as-is. If you want to suppress the Tanker, you can go with the Schuester gas plug or one of the drilled spindle valves (you have full/restricted rather than full/off). Some people that suppress the M1A use the brass deflector that comes with the BFA to divert some/most of the gas. For mounting, you can do a couple of things there. The Delta adapter replaces the factory SOCOM/Tanker gas lock/brake. If you're getting a barrel cut back you can just have it threaded. SEI has some adapters for whatever version you want to go with too.
The SOCOM I got to play around with and modify.

ETA: The VLTOR rail bridge functions similar to the brass deflector for diverting gas, and the Delta adapter is on this one. I also have the drilled spindle but you can't really see anything different with it externally.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#19]
Thanks.

Well if I can pick up that 18" scout for 1200, would that be worth going after? Comes with a few mags, an original stock set and wood set, and a scope mount.
View Quote

If you asked me a year ago - I'd say Hell no.  Dated design, heavy, abomination configuration, scout concept is stupid and abandoned, - etc etc.   I would have said all that.

And Then, I shot my friends Scout - with a 200 round can of ammo we got for basically free and blew through that day.  And ... I kind of absolutely love the thing.  Just a joy in every way, from handling, to recoil to blast to accuracy to reliability to satisfying impact on steel.  The original perforated cylinder muzzle comp. on the Scout is actually surprisingly good at both tempering recoil while keeping the back-blast under control.  

$1200 isn't an unfair price for one.  

Only real complaint now is to mimick that 200 round blast day, with actual purchased ammo, is a $250 day now!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#21]
Thanks.

Well if I can pick up that 18" scout for 1200, would that be worth going after? Comes with a few mags, an original stock set and wood set, and a scope mount.
View Quote

I would say it is worth it. You're saving 3-700 on the price of a new rifle, and mags for Checkmates are around 25-30 each. Stocks depend on what kind and condition but those can run 300 as well. I would say even just the rifle as long as it is in good shape that would be a good deal.
ETA: This guy held views close to those of many others regarding the M1A. Admittedly this is for the Tanker.
Why I Was Wrong About the Springfield M1A Tanker

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Why do you say that?
View Quote

Ever shot a 16” .308?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.

View Quote

Sounds like a pretty Good Deal.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:04:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beater9C1] [#27]
You could have Fulton armory install and headspace a new criterion 18 inch barrel.

No need to buy another complete rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks.

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sailormilan2] [#32]
Deleted
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top