Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 5:02:22 PM EDT
Mom just bought Pops an M1A.  It came with a 10 round magazine and a coupon for two 20 round mags and a scope mount free.  I know ProMags are junk, but found some Thermold magazines and need some info on these.  Pops has an HK-91 and several HK mags but he also has 5 Thermold's that work fine in that platform.  Anyone have any experience with their M1A magazines?  I am already getting him two Checkmate mags from Brownells but at +/- 20 bucks, I am thinking about adding a couple of Thermolds if they work.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Checkmates.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd use the thermolds for messing around with but quite frankly they don't last long in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Checkmate mags.  

Checkmate got the govt contract.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I am buying him 2 Checkmate mags.  I figured if the Thermolds were half way decent, I'd grab him a couple for range use only.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not use a thermold as a paper weight
I had a HK 91 and put a thermold in it and it was the only time that rifle jammed.  Not a clone, real German.  Feed lip cracked and split longways to look like a shorter feed lip.  Never touched a thermold again.
Maybe OK for 5.56 but I'll never use one for 7.62 again.  Doesn't matter what platform.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I got some thermolds from sportsman's guide a few years ago. They wouldn't feed the rounds on one side, I forget if right or left, but it'd constantly be "bang-click". I've actually left them loaded for several years with the top round on that side to see if it's bend the feed lip up enough that it'd start working.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top