Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2020 11:21:40 AM EDT

I recently sold an M1A, and have since rediscovered the scope mount that came with it, and I assume was used on it.

My first thought was to sell it for a few bucks.  Now I see in the instructions that after the mounting process involving repeated tightening and tapping with hammer,  " Your scope mount is now fully seated and fitted to this receiver and will not fit any other receivers."

So this mount is useless to anyone else?

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, that's how the SAI mounts work.

They know there are dimensional differences between their receivers, so the aluminum interface surface of their mount will "crush" onto your specific receiver, and it can only do that once.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I recently sold an M1A, and have since rediscovered the scope mount that came with it, and I assume was used on it.

My first thought was to sell it for a few bucks.  Now I see in the instructions that after the mounting process involving repeated tightening and tapping with hammer,  " Your scope mount is now fully seated and fitted to this receiver and will not fit any other receivers."

So this mount is useless to anyone else?

View Quote
I have seen ones that did fit multiples but the SAI is formed to the rifle. I can’t recommend trying to swap them. But it may work. It just might not re zero as well as it did in the past.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I asked the buyer if he wanted it for free, and he seemed happy to accept.  He might as well have it since it's useless to anyone else.

Thanks for the confirmation on that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Are those still GTG since the old man passed away?

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I asked the buyer if he wanted it for free, and he seemed happy to accept.  He might as well have it since it's useless to anyone else.

Thanks for the confirmation on that.
View Quote

AWESOME!
That's what I was going to suggest anyway..
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
a gen 1 or 2 SAInc. mount?

The SA Inc. rifles were noted for not being spot on to USGI spec so that was their recommendation, sage the aluminum mount into the cast steel receiver.

Try it on another gun.   What is the worst that could happen?  It is loose and you take it off?

I had a gen 1 mount.   It would shoot loose by the second magazine.  That was the single screw mount with no connection to the clip guide dovetail.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be true for the aluminum mount because it actually deforms to fit the lug on the side of the action.
The steel mount doesn't do this. I don't see any reason it couldn't be used on a different rifle.

Motor1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top