Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 10:35:37 AM EDT
Anyone know what M1917 Enfields are going for these days?  Haven't priced one in a few years, but $800+ seems a little high. Then again, any flavor of Springfield 1903 rifle goes for $800+ these days. Was thinking about a milsurp, iron sight .30-06 bolt gun to go with my Garand and 1903A4, kinda have more of an interest in the 1917 over the 1903 for that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends where you are, but $800 for a decent M1917 is not unusual anymore...shit's dried up, and prices just keep going up...unfortunately...

Right now, the best value in milsurps are Jap rifles, and Lee Enfields still...US stuff has been steadily climbing...

If you can get a good one (1917) for $700 or less, I'd jump on it...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an Eddystone, mint condition, all matching numbers.  NOT FOR SALE

I don't have an answer for you but they are getting more scarce.  Lots of examples of Bubba'd sporters out there but the original condition models are drying up.  I really enjoy mine, its fun to shoot but it is a beast.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Eddystone, mint condition, all matching numbers.  NOT FOR SALE

I don't have an answer for you but they are getting more scarce.  Lots of examples of Bubba'd sporters out there but the original condition models are drying up.  I really enjoy mine, its fun to shoot but it is a beast.
View Quote
There are no "matching numbers" on an M1917...

there is only "one" number...on the receiver...
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, y'all. Jist wanted to make sure I wasn't going to overpay for a rifle I swore was $600 or $700 a few years ago.

Quoted:

Right now, the best value in milsurps are Jap rifles, and Lee Enfields still...US stuff has been steadily climbing...

If you can get a good one (1917) for $700 or less, I'd jump on it...
View Quote
As much as I like the prospect of owning an Arisaka, I just don't like that you can't readily get or easily load ammo for it. I do already have an ROF Fazakerly No 4 MkII and a BSA Santa Fe imported No5 Jungle Carbine. Working on getting a top handgaurd on the Jungle Carbine, as it didn't come with one, but has the inlet for the handgaurd band. Ordered everything but the correct top HG for it last night, seems to be a bitch to find a jungle carbine top HG. Guess I'll have to have it fabricated out of a surplus No4 top HG.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, y'all. Jist wanted to make sure I wasn't going to overpay for a rifle I swore was $600 or $700 a few years ago.

As much as I like the prospect of owning an Arisaka, I just don't like that you can't readily get or easily load ammo for it. I do already have an ROF Fazakerly No 4 MkII and a BSA Santa Fe imported No5 Jungle Carbine. Working on getting a top handgaurd on the Jungle Carbine, as it didn't come with one, but has the inlet for the handgaurd band. Ordered everything but the correct top HG for it last night, seems to be a bitch to find a jungle carbine top HG. Guess I'll have to have it fabricated out of a surplus No4 top HG.
View Quote
Yeah, a couple of years ago they running about that...but a couple of years can be a long time when collecting milsurps! Supply and demand, and demand has been going up, especially approaching the 100 year mark of the end of WWI...

As far as the Arisaka goes...find one converted to .30-06, and Bob's your uncle...

A lot actually were converted after WWII due to scarcity of 7.7 Jap....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my sept 1918 eddystone for 502 dollars out the door at gander mountain before they closed.

Smelled like lindseed oil and shoots great, i replaced the front sight post with a NOS post with a different height to get poa/poi dead nuts at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, a couple of years ago they running about that...but a couple of years can be a long time when collecting milsurps!....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a couple of years ago they running about that...but a couple of years can be a long time when collecting milsurps!....
Probably right on that.  It wasn't that long ago 1917's were in the $500 range even, but it's now 2018.  To be honest, $800 probably isn't that far off; I'd call that in the range of fair market pricing.  On GunBroker (the land of overpriced guns), they are going for around that, so potentially you can get it for $100 or so less, but it's not a rip-off.   Particularly if the barrel is any good - that's actually a good deal if the barrel is good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are no "matching numbers" on an M1917...

there is only "one" number...on the receiver...
View Quote
Maybe I am thinking of one of my other milsurps.  I spent years acquiring examples of milsurps that were all matching, mint condition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a really nice Eddystone a few weeks ago for $700, but almost all others I've seen are $800-1000 but thats gun show prices so ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Remington made the best M1917 (IMHO)  They had a lot of practice on the P14 rifles.

2nd would be Winchester, but they had a lot of issues handfitting parts.

Eddystone distant 3rd due to issues with heat treatment of receivers & cracking...
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remington made the best M1917 (IMHO)  They had a lot of practice on the P14 rifles.

2nd would be Winchester, but they had a lot of issues handfitting parts.

Eddystone distant 3rd due to issues with heat treatment of receivers & cracking...
View Quote
All three manufacturers had a lot of practice making Pattern 14 rifles.

The hand fitting on the Winchester M1917 rifles was limited to the first 10k or so (out of ~580K). The other two manufacturers waited until the drawings were standardized before making rifles. None of the test rifles submitted by any of the plants had interchangable parts.

All M1917 receivers are Nickel Steel and very strong.There is no heat treat issue. The issue with the receivers cracking is from using improper technique to rebarrel. All receiver blanks came from the same company and were all the same steel mix. Any of the three manufacturers would crack if rebarreled improperly.

Please do not perpetuate wives tales and hearsay.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#12]
In a parking lot waiting to pay $500 for a Winchester right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top