Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2023 2:34:22 PM EDT
Found this at my LGS. Barrel is mirror bright but the lands and grooves seem not as deep/strong as other rifles I've inspected. The stock seems to be original but it's definitely a different pattern/grain than I've ever seen before. I didn't inspect the stock as much as I did the barrel and other components (dummy) so I didn't notice proof marks. Possibly a replacement.

It's labeled as a WW2 arsenal rebuild by the LGS. I didn't notice any cracks in the receiver but again I didn't "magnify glass" inspect it either.

Looks like a 1918 manufacture receiver.

Any ideas on what it's worth? High? Low?

They want 499.

I'd probably end up keeping it for the price as a shooter. I just sold a P14 so I'm pretty familiar with the rifle characteristics.

PICTURES:
https://imgur.com/a/GdhRzl2
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If they won't let you pull the barreled action from the stock I'd not buy. Eddystone receivers with JA barrels may have a crack at the barrel shoulder. Google "Eddystone crack"
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they won't let you pull the barreled action from the stock I'd not buy. Eddystone receivers with JA barrels may have a crack at the barrel shoulder. Google "Eddystone crack"
View Quote

I'm not sure if they would. I didn't know anything about these until after I walked out. They're pretty decent so I imagine if I asked they may do it.

How noticeable is the crack? Most common location?

Any idea on value if it's good to go?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
As a mix master shooter, $500 seems like a decent price.

I think the stock is black walnut.  Maybe bubba got to it first and was a little over zealous in his cleaning efforts.

Bolt is marked W for winchester.  I would definitely check headspace.

You mentioned shallow rifling.  Any chance the barrel is a two groove?  JA made both a 2 and 4 groove version.

The brass unit tag on the butt plate is interesting.  Never seen that before.  A VFW or ROTC maybe?

ETA

The following is pure conjecture on my part.  Take it for what it's worth...

There are several theories about how the m1917 receivers cracked.  I subscribe to the theory that the damage was done by independent gunsmiths rebarreling these actions with the wrong tools.

This particular rifle has a P stamp on the barrel which would lead me to believe that the rifle was rebarreled and proofed via official channels and the likelihood of an issue receiver would be lower.

I have had nothing but good luck with JA barreled rifles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As a mix master shooter, $500 seems like a decent price.

I think the stock is black walnut.  Maybe bubba got to it first and was a little over zealous in his cleaning efforts.

Bolt is marked W for winchester.  I would definitely check headspace.

You mentioned shallow rifling.  Any chance the barrel is a two groove?  JA made both a 2 and 4 groove version.

The brass unit tag on the butt plate is interesting.  Never seen that before.  A VFW or ROTC maybe?

ETA

The following is pure conjecture on my part.  Take it for what it's worth...

There are several theories about how the m1917 receivers cracked.  I subscribe to the theory that the damage was done by independent gunsmiths rebarreling these actions with the wrong tools.

This particular rifle has a P stamp on the barrel which would lead me to believe that the rifle was rebarreled and proofed via official channels and the likelihood of an issue receiver would be lower.

I have had nothing but good luck with JA barreled rifles.
View Quote

Yeah its 2 groove. Just seems like the rifling appears worn or shot out. I took a 1903 off the shelf and tried the bullet in the muzzle of that one and it nearly touched the case, and I thought that rifle had more definitive lands and grooves.

Yeah I'll ask them to headspace it as well. I saw that it was mis-matched bolt and receiver.

The stock is actually rather "neat" to me. Do you think it's not an arsenal replacement?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy it for $500. There's some pics of cracked receivers if you search around. Mine is an Eddystone with a JA barrel and has no cracks.

Also a good read.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/update-to-the-m1917-research-cracked-receivers-and-headspace.1109825/

That brass piece on the top of the butt plate is interesting too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd buy it for $500. There's some pics of cracked receivers if you search around. Mine is an Eddystone with a JA barrel and has no cracks.

Also a good read.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/update-to-the-m1917-research-cracked-receivers-and-headspace.1109825/

That brass piece on the top of the butt plate is interesting too.
View Quote

I stumbled across that thread. Very interesting indeed.

Yeah I noticed it too. Adds a little bit of character for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If you buy it for $500 and the stock isn't trashed, you could easily make $250 off the stock alone if the receiver is toast.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you buy it for $500 and the stock isn't trashed, you could easily make $250 off the stock alone if the receiver is toast.
View Quote

No cracks and it looks really solid.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The stock has a rebuild stamp. It likely was a WWII rebuild that received a JA barrel. It looks as though someone sanded the stock later which is a small bummer. Very worth $500. More like a $800 rifle.

Some JA barrels are slightly turned to far canting the front sight. It was common. The alignment mark on the barrel I was suspect off. Mine the alignment mark was aligned with the receiver but the front sight canted to the left very noticeably.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The stock has a rebuild stamp. It likely was a WWII rebuild that received a JA barrel. It looks as though someone sanded the stock later which is a small bummer. Very worth $500. More like a $800 rifle.

Some JA barrels are slightly turned to far canting the front sight. It was common. The alignment mark on the barrel I was suspect off. Mine the alignment mark was aligned with the receiver but the front sight canted to the left very noticeably.
View Quote

Sweet. Unless something catastrophic is located. It's coming home
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No hits on SRS

513964E    120218CAMP SHELBY
515501E    061818REVISED BATTLE SIGHT TEST
View Quote

What is this ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen a M1917 for $500 in well over a decade. I know because I'd have bought every one I saw at $500.

So far as I can see, that rifle is worth more than $500 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They're getting hard to fine around here, especially at under $1000.

You can probably part it out of at least $500, even if the receiver is cracked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Springfield research system
View Quote

Ah gotcha. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a M1917 for $500 in well over a decade. I know because I'd have bought every one I saw at $500.

So far as I can see, that rifle is worth more than $500 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They're getting hard to fine around here, especially at under $1000.

You can probably part it out of at least $500, even if the receiver is cracked.
View Quote
Yep. I need a Winchester, because the Marine Corps supposedly used Winchesters almost exclusively.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are concerned about cracked receiver see if LGS will allow you to squirt some lighter fluid in the receiver if it's cracked you will see it as the lighter fluid evaporates. I have an Eddystone with a JA barrel and no issues. For the price I'd grab it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#18]
LGS said they'd take it apart and inspect it for a cracked receiver. Just waiting to hear back from them
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#19]
My first military configuration M1917 is a Winchester with a 2 lands/grooves JA barrel.

Zero issues and shoots great.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I ended up buying it. Shoots great. Really nice rifle for the money I paid. Very happy
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice!

I liked the wood grain in that stock.  I think someone used a strong degreaser on it and a quick new finish coat.  Just a thought, not sure.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yep. I need a Winchester, because the Marine Corps supposedly used Winchesters almost exclusively.
View Quote

Been around these guns for a long time and never heard that. In WWI pershing specifically requested they not supply the AEF with any Winchester’s, as the early versions had issues with lack of interchangeable parts. I guess since the USMC often got the bottom of the barrel gear wise for a long time,  that could be where the marines used winchesters story came from.

The subject rifle stock is marked RA which represents a Raritan Arsenal rebuild

As many may know, at the end of WWI we actually had more 1917’s in inventory than 1903’s. There was consideration for making the 1917 the standard issue rifle relegating the 1903 to secondary/ substitute standard. It is rightly argued the 1917 was a better battle rifle, with the well protected sights and rear peep close to the eye, plus in 06 you can shoe horn 6 rounds in the magazine. The 1903 was considered better for traditional target shooting, and remained the standard. The urgent need for rifles in WWII brought the 1917’s out of mothballs. While some no doubt saw combat service, most were used for stateside duties, like training and guarding sensitive installations. There is a picture kicking around showing horse mounted coast guard personnel patrolling beaches with slung 1917’s
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Huge numbers of M1917s went to the Philippines and to Chinese Nationalist forces circa WWII.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top