Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 12:04:34 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File
I came upon this chromed/nickeled M1903. The finish has seen better days, but the bore appears to be sound.

What can y'all tell me about her?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd guess it was put together strictly for ceremonial purposes with that 1910 dated barrel on that rec and the scant stock. Hows the bore and headspace?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd guess it was put together strictly for ceremonial purposes with that 1910 dated barrel on that rec and the scant stock. Hows the bore and headspace?
View Quote

A headspace gauge would be a nice thing to have.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sandbag and a long string
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Parade rifles were usually made from rifles that were deemed unusable. Fine for a wall hanger, as a shooter, I wouldn't waste my money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The chrome finish was done for some drill team(ROTC or military school) not the Army.
View Quote

Don't smoke me...but the Old Guard does use chromed 1903's on occasion....complete with chromed bayonets...looks sharp, and very well done, but still makes me sad...
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ones we used in the Retan Rifles at FUMA had plugged barrels.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
@Bklyn_Irish

I know you've already looked up the cartouches online.

The AAAL is an Augusta Armory (GA) re-arsenaling (inspection) cartouche.  The JPO is J. P. O'Neil, a Springfield Armory inspector 1904-10.  The cartouche under the receiver is the Augusta Armory inspector (name not listed in my references).

The serial number dates the receiver to 1932.  So, the barrel date matches the stock evidence but not the receiver serial number date.

I'd disassemble it, inspect it closely for any de-milling (holes drilled in the chamber or welded up bolt), have the chrome stripped off and then have it parkerized (unless the chrome reveals a miracle).
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't smoke me...but the Old Guard does use chromed 1903's on occasion....complete with chromed bayonets...looks sharp, and very well done, but still makes me sad...
View Quote

Yeah, I forgot about them - but it is almost a certainty this isn't one of their rifles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
We had de-milled '03A3s in high school JROTC, and the senior drill platoon- Summerall Guards- in college had '03A3s as well.

I knew chromed rifles existed, but this was the first on which I laid hands.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Bklyn_Irish

I know you've already looked up the cartouches online.

The AAAL is an Augusta Armory (GA) re-arsenaling (inspection) cartouche.  The JPO is J. P. O'Neil, a Springfield Armory inspector 1904-10.  The cartouche under the receiver is the Augusta Armory inspector (name not listed in my references).

The serial number dates the receiver to 1932.  So, the barrel date matches the stock evidence but not the receiver serial number date.

I'd disassemble it, inspect it closely for any de-milling (holes drilled in the chamber or welded up bolt), have the chrome stripped off and then have it parkerized (unless the chrome reveals a miracle).
View Quote

The Scant stock didnt come around till the early 40's
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Scant stock didnt come around till the early 40's
View Quote
Then it's a different inspector's cartouche.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then it's a different inspector's cartouche.
View Quote

Looks like a double stamp AAHO for Augusta overhaul and rebuild
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Pass on that one, way too much work to restore to any semblance of an original military issue '03
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pass on that one, way too much work to restore to any semblance of an original military issue '03
View Quote

Is it worth anything  monetarily, or as just a wall hanger or shooter?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You could part it out for somebody looking to do  a sporter resto maybe
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I couldn’t begin to tell you what it’s worth, but the parts are most certainly desirable if the rifle turns out to be unsafe to use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
$100 to $200.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$100 to $200.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd bite for $200, assuming the receiver was OK with minimal weld.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Lee's Gun Parts bought a bunch of drill rifles years ago. They cut the welds, stripped the chrome, repaired the damage, rebarreled if needed, etc.

Sold them quickly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd bite for $200, assuming the receiver was OK with minimal weld.
View Quote

Is it welded? Up to some date I don't know, chromed drill rifles were fully serviceable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, I got this one a little while ago, and asked the same questions.
Mine is fully functional and was not demilled at all, no plug, no welds etc.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Refinishing-a-chrome-nickle-1903-springfield/14-507017/
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]
@80sgyrene

That's nifty!

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing is plugged and I can't find any welds.

I suppose I'll check the headspace and shoot her.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Just confirming: this is not a "low number" '03, correct?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]
That S/N would be considered to be a "high number" Springfield Armory S/N.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That S/N would be considered to be a "high number" Springfield Armory S/N.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you see the barrel and receiver outside of the stock to make sure Bubba didn't do something weird? I have some other guns where after pulling them out of the stock, I saw a nightmare. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix one nightmare on a Snider-Enfield.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can you see the barrel and receiver outside of the stock to make sure Bubba didn't do something weird? I have some other guns where after pulling them out of the stock, I saw a nightmare. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix one nightmare on a Snider-Enfield.
View Quote

I'll break her down tonight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Entirely possible the barrel is original to the receiver.  In the late 20 into the the 30s more rifles were rebuilt using Serviceable left over parts from scrapped Low number turned in weapons than all new production parts. The stock was added at Augusta during a later rebuild, and the barrel could have been added there from serviceable stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Entirely possible the barrel is original to the receiver.  In the late 20 into the the 30s more rifles were rebuilt using Serviceable left over parts from scrapped Low number turned in weapons than all new production parts. The stock was added at Augusta during a later rebuild, and the barrel could have been added there from serviceable stock.
View Quote
Highly unlikely. It would have left Springfield Armory with a late 31-early 32 barrel. During the interwar period, SA was doing everything it could to keep the doors open and people on the payroll so new stock was being used on new rifles. The 1910 barrel was a replacement during a rebuild
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Highly unlikely. It would have left Springfield Armory with a late 31-early 32 barrel. During the interwar period, SA was doing everything it could to keep the doors open and people on the payroll so new stock was being used on new rifles. The 1910 barrel was a replacement during a rebuild
View Quote

Completely disagree on that blanket statement. FY 29-33 SA made way more receivers than complete rifles. SA and Army depots were in a huge rebuild program of-turned in low number Rifles. Serviceable parts were always reused wherever possible at SA and depot level.
New receivers on used parts at SA was considered a rebuild of existing weapons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Personally i would keep as it is and lover her for what she is, a piece of our history.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top