Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 10:53:47 AM EDT
I've been thinking about / half heartedly trying to sell my M14, but I've no real idea of what a realistic price for it. So I figured I'd ask before it goes on the EE.

Norinco "sneak" M14. Mix of original Chinese and USGI parts. Fiberglass stock, rear sight,  reamed flash hider & hammer are US. Receiver, barrel & gas system, bolt, remaining trigger group parts are Chinese.  

Bayonet,  US canvas carry bag. Total of 9 mags. 2 are LEO / MIL. 4 are in the blue sealed bags. 1 Csspecs 30 round.

Very early AMS 18 split mount with the stripper clip guide.  Set of Leupold 30mm steel rings.

I've stripped the black shiny black paint.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#1]
Well new M1A go for $1700 at PSA.

I'd probably start there, since you have all the extras.  TBH, I'd probably not pay more than about $1400 for the rifle alone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Well new M1A go for $1700 at PSA.

I'd probably start there, since you have all the extras.  TBH, I'd probably not pay more than about $1400 for the rifle alone.
View Quote

There is no way a Chinese M14 is in the same class as an American made model.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

View Quote

True but there is something to be said about forged receiver and chrome bore.

I sold the last M14s polytech for around 1200 bux IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Hence the lower price....
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Hence the lower price....
View Quote

Interesting people will lay down big bucks for a Chinese AK, but a Chinese M14 is a no go?

Lots of other Vintage Chinese 80s/90s guns are under appreciated vs AKs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

Interesting people will lay down big bucks for a Chinese AK, but a Chinese M14 is a no go?

Lots of other Vintage Chinese 80s/90s guns are under appreciated vs AKs.
View Quote

Chinese AK's were under $300 before they got banned from importation. It was only after "you can't get them anymore" did the price go up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Chinese AK's were under $300 before they got banned from importation. It was only after "you can't get them anymore" did the price go up.
View Quote

Chinese anything guns were dirt cheap before they got banned. Be it an Ak, M14, SKS, 1911, etc. They were all cheap. I went with my dad to gun shows back in the 80's and there were piles of Chinese SKS for $75 with a case of ammo. Now I've literally seen $1k Chicom SKS that actually sell. $3k for a Polytech Ak is pretty normal now as well. Norinco M1911 can still found for around $500 fairly regularly.  I'm not sure about Chicom M14 clones, as evidenced by me asking.

I've owned several Chinese AK's over the years, both pre-ban & ban models.  I've never understood the price premium they command from a shooters perspective.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
$1200-ish.  The 14 is a tough market.  Ammo is expensive.  A 308 AR will shoot circles around them.  The Chinese guns are fine, you've done the basic upgrades.  Mags help but don't necessarily add a lot of value.  Scope mount is tough to value.  The 14 doesn't scope well, most give up trying.  I know I did.  

I bought my Polytech ten years ago, maybe more.  Paid $850 and thought it was a good buy then.  It's an expensive game to play, most of the people that want one already have one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
A 308 AR will shoot circles around them.
View Quote

That right there is what did me in 100%. Took me years to get on the AR10 bandwagon & once I did, I realized that I had been a fool. Even grudgingly gotten on with the 6.5 Creedmoor round (even if I still have much disgust with it, but that's more of a some people who shoot it the the round itself).
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Right buyer you could actually get a pretty penny out of that thing.  I have personally seen those rifles go for stupid amounts of money but that is going to be a right buyer right time kind of deal.  I would start out at $1500-1600 but be negotiable on the price.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mattgunguy:

Chinese anything guns were dirt cheap before they got banned. Be it an Ak, M14, SKS, 1911, etc. They were all cheap. I went with my dad to gun shows back in the 80's and there were piles of Chinese SKS for $75 with a case of ammo. Now I've literally seen $1k Chicom SKS that actually sell. $3k for a Polytech Ak is pretty normal now as well. Norinco M1911 can still found for around $500 fairly regularly.  I'm not sure about Chicom M14 clones, as evidenced by me asking.

I've owned several Chinese AK's over the years, both pre-ban & ban models.  I've never understood the price premium they command from a shooters perspective.
View Quote

People want what they can't have. The harder to find, the higher the price. Whenever the government intervenes in the market, people scramble to buy things they had simmering on the back burner, sometimes for years. When they see the door about to shut, they fork up the money. I own a Polytech Legend with a Larue RDS mounted where the rear sight used to be. Classic look with modern sights. I will never sell it.

Bulgarian AK's are every bit as good, probably better. I have one of those too. My Romanian is the one that gets used, I don't feel any harm in wearing that one out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Bulgarian AK's are every bit as good, probably better. I have one of those too.
View Quote

Old Bulgarian Arsenal 110% agreement.  New Arsenal....... meh. Quality control has been lacking. Specifically referring to the SaM5. Haven't personally owned a newer 7.62 variant.  It a sucky issue as I'm all about 556 Ak's, but I'm a bigger Galil fanboy than Arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#13]

You might think about removing scope mount and sell separately -------------- a lot of people go gaga over the ARMS mount...

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Think I paid $1300 for mine years ago but it had undergone the Warbirds treatment to fit USGI bolt and other parts into it. If I was to sell it today that’s what I’d ask.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you folks. Y'alls given me a ballpark guesstimate.  Gonna try to trade it off for something I want and barring that, I'll put a 6.5 barrel on it & see what it'll do.

Many thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I paid $1100 for my Norinco.  It came with a USGI wood stock, rear sight, trigger group and magazine.  It came with a chopped flash hider and I replaced it with a Keep Shooting flash hider ($40).  Overall I got a pretty good deal.  I wasn't expecting the USGI trigger group, so that was a very pleasant surprise.

I'd take a Chinese M14 clone over a new Springfield Armory.  The older Springfield that is most USGI is a different story.  But the new commercial guns have mostly MIM parts and are not comparable to the old guns.  The one upside to the Springfield is the lifetime warranty.  I had an old HK91 clone with the cast aluminum receiver (not the steel stamped one).  I bought it used and it never worked right.  I sent it to Springfield and they replaced it with a M1A rifle.  I sold it without even looking at it to fund a cross country motorcycle trip.

The Norincos has forged receivers and chrome lined bores.  So the main parts are decent quality.  The wood stocks are cheap and rear sight is mushy.  Both are easy to replace, although USGI parts are climbing in price.  You can upgrade to a USGI bolt if you want, but research the reason why most think the Chinese M14 have bad bolts, essentially, they are repeating what they heard.  People used .308 Win gauges which are different than 7.62 Nato gauges and it failed.  The majority of guns will pass with a true 7.62 Nato gauge.  Now with that said, I'm sure there is a bad gun in the bunch.  But I have had more bad Springfield Armory guns than the dozens of Norincos I have owned (Uzi, M14, AK, SKS, Tokarev, Hawk shotgun, etc.).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top