Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe this question has been answered:  Will a Tenko equipped MAC with either a dedicated AR Atchisson pattern .22LR barrel/bolt upper or a 5.56 upper with .22LR Atchission pattern conversion unit and the auto sear trip plus anti-bounce weight operate full auto reliably?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is video of a Ciener .22lr kit running:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=CWZZKsKbxNw

And for those interested, here is the Tenko adapter with an original Shrike:

http://youtu.be/zU5XkqnewFw

Scott
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Scott,

I just wanted to pass on a thank you for doing something innovative for the 2A community. I am hoping to enter the industry in the next couple years, and your venture has only encouraged me more. The risk vs reward for asking uncle sugar permission to market a product I hope pays off for you and your guys. This thread makes me glad to be part of the ARFcom community and I look forward to your future success. Please keep posting on ARFcom as this site instills confidence that we individually are not alone in our passion for this industry and lifestyle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just doing some web searching, I see that Ciener has a bit of bad history in the firearms community.  Does anyone know if that has been resolved, and if his is considered a good 22lr conversion kit?  The videos of it in action on the Tenko adapter certainly seem convincing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just doing some web searching, I see that Ciener has a bit of bad history in the firearms community.  Does anyone know if that has been resolved, and if his is considered a good 22lr conversion kit?  The videos of it in action on the Tenko adapter certainly seem convincing.
View Quote
The cmmg kits are pretty much identical.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC, the charges against, the owner/founder, J.A. Ciener, were dropped.  From what I've read recently, J. A. Ciener has essentially retired and no longer does the day-to-day operations.  I ordered a part from the company last October and got it exactly one week from when I dropped my order with the USPS MO in the mail box.  I have bought a couple CMMG .22 units because the pricing of package deals was more favorable.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Once we have cash flow I plan to buy an AM-180 and adapt the fire control for use with the Tenko adapter.

Scott
View Quote
What do you mean by this?

A conversion for your conversion?

Or a purpose built upper for a Mac 11/10/11a1?

Think id prefer a purpose built upper. Something that uses the AM180 drums, 10/22 bolts & extractors and a way to vary the rate of fire.

Edit: All for under $1,000
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What do you mean by this?

A conversion for your conversion?

Or a purpose built upper for a Mac 11/10/11a1?

Think id prefer a purpose built upper. Something that uses the AM180 drums, 10/22 bolts & extractors and a way to vary the rate of fire.

Edit: All for under $1,000
View Quote
It is my understanding that Tactical Innovations is working on a AM-180 for the M11/NINE. Retail price is supposed to be $2,000. But the  M11/NINE version is not yet available. So my plan is to buy a M16 version that is available. Then I can use it with the Tenko adapter or a M16 if I so desire. I  only have one M11/NINE, but I have multiple M10s. Certainly no one was buy a Tenko just for the AM-180. but I  have multiple platforms I could use the M16 version on as apposed to one that I could use the M11/NINE version on.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is my understanding that Tactical Innovations is working on a AM-180 for the M11/NINE. Retail price is supposed to be $2,000. But the  M11/NINE version is not yet available. So my plan is to buy a M16 version that is available. Then I can use it with the Tenko adapter or a M16 if I so desire. I  only have one M11/NINE, but I have multiple M10s. Certainly no one was buy a Tenko just for the AM-180. but I  have multiple platforms I could use the M16 version on as apposed to one that I could use the M11/NINE version on.

Scott
View Quote
Yeah I’m not holding my breath on tactical innovations actually getting one to market. I hope the best for them.

Would like to see someone else beat them to the punch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
No discussion of attempted alternative implementations of AM180 drums is complete without mention of the Bazooka Bros adapter as illustrated and described here:

pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20100083818&IDKey=B9CE8BB477A9&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPG01%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D%25252220100083818%252522.PGNR.%2526OS%3DDN%2F20100083818%2526RS%3DDN%2F20100083818

One of these could snap right into a Tenko magwell, and then the AM180 drum could be slid right on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah I’m not holding my breath on tactical innovations actually getting one to market. I hope the best for them.

Would like to see someone else beat them to the punch.
View Quote
It would be very doubtful that another company would bring the same product that has already been submitted. The Mac style RR is a small niche market. Now is not a great time for submission of a new product. In my last inquiry about the Tenko adapter the person answering my inquiry didn't actually look up my information. The response I got would seem to be based on just the recent number for the second submission. We received, in part "Current response times for industry (FFL holders) is longer than 6 months. All other inquiries will be worked after industry as time permits in the order they are received.". We received an email on March 8th in part read "Your submitted sample referenced #310669 has been completed and is pending Chief’s review and signature." We wrote back for clarification as to whether the evaluation has or has not been done on April 22nd. We have not received anything back as of this posting.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No discussion of attempted alternative implementations of AM180 drums is complete without mention of the Bazooka Bros adapter as illustrated and described here:

pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20100083818&IDKey=B9CE8BB477A9&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPG01%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D%25252220100083818%252522.PGNR.%2526OS%3DDN%2F20100083818%2526RS%3DDN%2F20100083818

One of these could snap right into a Tenko magwell, and then the AM180 drum could be slid right on.
View Quote
No one I know personally ever got their unit to run and sold them. Some have posted that they got their unit to run, but I don't know them personally. We have three Beta units for the Tenko adapter that have at least 10,000 rounds of use. To me that would be a minimum.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It would be very doubtful that another company would bring the same product that has already been submitted. The Mac style RR is a small niche market. Now is not a great time for submission of a new product. In my last inquiry about the Tenko adapter the person answering my inquiry didn't actually look up my information. The response I got would seem to be based on just the recent number for the second submission. We received, in part "Current response times for industry (FFL holders) is longer than 6 months. All other inquiries will be worked after industry as time permits in the order they are received.". We received an email on March 8th in part read "Your submitted sample referenced #310669 has been completed and is pending Chief’s review and signature." We wrote back for clarification as to whether the evaluation has or has not been done on April 22nd. We have not received anything back as of this posting.

Scott
View Quote
That maybe the case but I haven't seen anything out of Tactical Innovations that has even lead me to believe that a mock-up / prototype was even sent to FATD.  Seems like they said we will be working on one or something similar. I hope the best to them I really do and that is really my holy grail upper for my m11 that is as long as its reliable.

Think if I had one of those id probably would be good on uppers. The rifle uppers do interest me somewhat.

Think the Norse Forge AK upper is the coolest looking.

But waiting on your M11 adapter and the Norse forge upper to come out before I make a purchase. So probably 2-3 years down the road.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Welp, time to get on the list. I might be able to get the upper by the time my stamp comes through. It looks like the shrike belt fed and  CMMG kits, will work, I wonder if the CMMG radial delay bolts will wokr? Or the BRN-180 uppers when they come out?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welp, time to get on the list. I might be able to get the upper by the time my stamp comes through. It looks like the shrike belt fed and  CMMG kits, will work, I wonder if the CMMG radial delay bolts will wokr? Or the BRN-180 uppers when they come out?
View Quote
Yes, the CMMG Guard rotary delayed blowback system with Mean Arms Endmag works. As far as the BRN-180, in looking at the pictures, it looks like there is no auto sear trip surface. The Tenko adapter is based on the M16. So to function in AUTO there must be a auto sear trip surface. The Tenko adapter has been tested with the Titan and GSG-9 uppers any the Shrike uses a short stroke piston system and run fine.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lets be clear, if expenses are tax deductible, you don't pay tax on that money.  Currently, between what we have already spent and what we have ordered, we have over $100,000 in this project.  Then there is time; I have well over 2,000 hours in this project with several more hundred to go, all while working my full time job.  So from my perspective, that is all overtime.  I also don't work for minimum wage.  Would you begrudge me my wage?  Yes, $2,995 for just an adapter is a lot of money.  If you already own a M16, the adapter was not designed for you.  But if you are someone where the M10 or M11/NINE is your only machinegun and you want the functionality of a M16 or you are priced out of a M16 but they can come up with around half that, the functionality of a M16 is possible.

As far as investment, most are aware of shows like "Dragon's Den" and "Shark Tank".  If not look it up.  From the research I have done, the shows are very generous.  Most investing in such a niche market would want 3/4 ownership or more. So we would do all of this to make someone else money.  We are fortunate enough to be in a place that we can come up with the funds on our own, so we have taken on the whole risk.  I am closing in on retirement.  $100,000 is an enormous amount of money to us.  We hope that we make a profit.  But there is no guarantee.

As far as aesthetics, it is what it is.  We have tried to do what we could.  This is an adapter, not a ground up firearm design.  But we have three units that have 10,000 rounds of use and have run great. I love sharing my full auto with other shooters.  My first machinegun was a Colt M16.  Now we can give a similar experience I had to other shooters that might not be able to afford a M16.  I get that the look is unusual, but it has grown on me over time.  The function is what really counts to me.  My firearms are tools more than collector items.  YMMV.

Scott
View Quote
Scott, ignore the haters!  Us one MG M10 owners applaud you!  I am on the list and anxiously waiting for approval!
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Scott, ignore the haters!  Us one MG M10 owners applaud you!  I am on the list and anxiously waiting for approval!
View Quote
Thank you for the kind words. This has been by far the most difficult interaction with the NFA Branch for me. At least with a transfer there is some kind of "ballpark of when I would get an answer. I have asked several times and have gotten no response. I even wrote to the Chief of the FATD. It has been a couple of weeks and still nothing. I am so frustrated. We should have the first 30 units next week. But we still have not gotten a determination for the aluminum version. Even though what I sent was basically an aluminum version of the 3D printed version we had to resubmit because of the material change.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you for the kind words. This has been by far the most difficult interaction with the NFA Branch for me. At least with a transfer there is some kind of "ballpark of when I would get an answer. I have asked several times and have gotten no response. I even wrote to the Chief of the FATD. It has been a couple of weeks and still nothing. I am so frustrated. We should have the first 30 units next week. But we still have not gotten a determination for the aluminum version. Even though what I sent was basically an aluminum version of the 3D printed version we had to resubmit because of the material change.

Scott
View Quote
Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any updates?
View Quote
Sadly not much.  We have 30 units that are done. We should receive another 50 units within the next couple of weeks. We have no idea when we will get the determination. I have written emails and even a certified letter to the Chief of the FATD back in April. We have gotten no response. I am so very frustrated. As soon as we get the determination Tina should start shipping. I wish I had better news.

I think we have the design for the Tenko 11-16 version completed. We will start cutting chips as soon we have some cash flow from the Tenko 10-16. Thank you for your interest.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions L.L.C.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Just saw in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Magpul-AR-Arm-Braces/5-2288625/ the ATF isn’t issuing letters anymore. @Canon3825 ?

ETA: I guess add me to the short list of people that would FO without a letter... since they won’t do them anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just saw in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Magpul-AR-Arm-Braces/5-2288625/ the ATF isn’t issuing letters anymore. @Canon3825 ?

ETA: I guess add me to the short list of people that would FO without a letter... since they won’t do them anymore.
View Quote
To be clear, the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division issued a change in policy on December 10, 2018 through an email to SOT holders that effect immediately (12/10/2018) all submissions of an an accessory would require the accessory installed in a complete firearm. All submissions in their possession would be returned without determination. Going forward, all  firearm accessories being submitted to the FATD for determination must be installed in a complete firearm. A&S Conversions has submitted a complete Tenko 10-16 adapter system installed on a transferable M10 RR with a 16" upper. The FATD acknowledged receiving the complete Tenko adapter system on March 6, 2019 and stated that the evaluation was complete on March 8th. We are still waiting for our determination from the FATD.

As far as I know Tina at Practical Solutions (our exclusive retailer) has a list of those who wish to purchase a Tenko adapter without determination  to be four individuals. I don't know if a release form to allow such a transaction is possible. For a total of five sales, I don't think hiring a lawyer to see if such a form is legal and possible to develop for the sale of five units would be a prudent use of our very limited remaining resources. . Unless there is a change in BATF&E policy, we are stuck waiting for the FATD to issue us a determination. So until further notice, we are dead in the water waiting for the determination.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for the explanation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
That is the thing, partial information. The FATD did stop giving determinations, to accessories submitted without being installed in a complete firearm. That second part makes a big difference.  So if someone only posted the first part there is a significant difference in meaning to the whole statement.

Scott
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top