Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2018 12:17:28 PM EDT
Here's the first test-firing of our M1 ATG after conversion to 40mm Bofors. Bob Bigando did all the conversion work for us.

V/R

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!!!! I have a friend that needs the same thing done to his 57MM AT gun. He just got a near new carriage for it. How hard is it to find ammo for it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
If he can reload his own, it's REALLY easy to get components.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Why change it to 40mm?
No shootable barrels available?
I assume cases and projectiles are easier to find?
It looks like its not auto ejecting any more, is that due to the conversion or have you disconnected it?

I have always wanted a M1 ATG but never got around to buying one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why change it to 40mm?
No shootable barrels available?
I assume cases and projectiles are easier to find?
It looks like its not auto ejecting any more, is that due to the conversion or have you disconnected it?

I have always wanted a M1 ATG but never got around to buying one.
View Quote
There are barrels available but it was more for the availability of the components. I can get new and unfired brass cases relatively cheap, projos are readily available and since it's going to be a rental gun, I need to make sure that we have plenty of components available to keep customers happy. As for auto ejecting, it's because of the conversion. We could probably make some new ejectors but they come right out with a flat head.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are barrels available but it was more for the availability of the components. I can get new and unfired brass cases relatively cheap, projos are readily available and since it's going to be a rental gun, I need to make sure that we have plenty of components available to keep customers happy. As for auto ejecting, it's because of the conversion. We could probably make some new ejectors but they come right out with a flat head.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Did they turn a complete new barrel or use an older bofors barrel?

I would think finding a blank large enough for the carriage/breach would be tough. I could see the carriage adapters but the Breach to barrel interface seems like it would be tough unless a 40mm bofors barrel just happened to have the same thread size as the breach.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
We found a 40mm Bofors barrel and had it turned to mirror the I.D. of the factory 57mm barrel.

I'll get some more footage of it tomorrow.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
that's an awesome conversion you did Doc. I especially appreciate that you kept the original barrel intact and just sleeved it. Pretty sweet and a great option for other 57mm owners that want to shoot more for less money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top