Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2022 3:57:27 AM EDT
This happens every 100 rounds or so, stock is a new dupage trading, rifle is shooting 150gr ppu ball

Eventually the spacer deforms on both ends to the point the ferrule rattles around too

Is there some way to stop this from happening?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a pic of the deformation? My guess would be stock needs fitting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
No pics handy at the moment, but the front ones bend back out it happens to my USGI and CMP stocks, but not as often (though I don't use them as often either)
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Something is off...In 30+ years never seen that happen...especially not on a regular basis....
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something is off...In 30+ years never seen that happen...especially not on a regular basis....
View Quote

Me neither.  I suspect a cheap as replica part with thinner steel than the originals.

You don’t want the handguard tightly sandwiched but is it so loose it is getting a running start til impact like a slide hammer??  I have seen really rattling front handguards never do that tab bending.   Hell not even with the ones with one tab broken off likely from foreign military armorers not bothering to replace the insert with a hand gaurd.  (greek; no surprise at the Greek armorer “fixes”)

If it is thinner and cheaper than USGI and not a great handguard I’d be tempted to glue the tabs with epoxy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just remove the liner you don't need it.

If the front ferrule is loose just glue it on end of handguard.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The front handguard is pretty tight, could this be causing it?

The front tabs just bend out, there is no other place its deforming

Attachment Attached File

Its beat up from multiple "repairs", i have a new one on the way
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
How is the fit between that and the gas tube? Is the op rod catching it and pulling it back somehow?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is the fit between that and the gas tube? Is the op rod catching it and pulling it back somehow?
View Quote

The op rod isn't catching or hitting anything, no signs of wear and the action is smooth
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you ever replaced that spacer? If the tabs have been bent multiple times the metal will weaken.
View Quote

I have bent the tabs back before. Is there a trick i need to know when installing a new one?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
M1 Garand Front Handguard Installation

Did you follow these steps with the anvil and punch when you installed the "new" handguard?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
M1 Garand Front Handguard Installation

Did you follow these steps with the anvil and punch when you installed the "new" handguard?
View Quote

The stock set came with the metal installed
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Did the seller / manufacturer of the hand guard follow those steps?

You should be able to disassemble the forend and tell if everything is seated properly..

It sounds like your wood and metal aren’t properly fitted to each other, which allows the wood to effectively tap on the metal ears, straightening them out more with every shot...
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I suspect you are cranking down the gas lock , pushing gas cylinder against the guard . . There should be slight movement of the front handguard when installed correctly
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I suspect you are cranking down the gas lock , pushing gas cylinder against the guard . . There should be slight movement of the front handguard when installed correctly
View Quote

It is tight, but not due to the gas lock. I'm going t replace the metal then fit the handguard so it has some wiggle
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
why is it ight then, you say it happens to your USGI stock also?
There has the be something in common going on. I have been messing with garands for 25-30 years and I have never had this happen or have I ever heard or seen it happen before
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
why is it ight then, you say it happens to your USGI stock also?
There has the be something in common going on. I have been messing with garands for 25-30 years and I have never had this happen or have I ever heard or seen it happen before
View Quote

Iirc this happened before the rifle was rebarreled, and I'm not super concerned about something being loose on a 70+ year old stock.

It is tight due to the rear handguard retainer.

I have my CMP stock on another M1, i was wrong about the retainer on that one coming loose. It's still nice and tight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
There should be a slight amount of back and forth movement in the front hand guard. The gas cylinder should not be tight against it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There should be a slight amount of back and forth movement in the front hand guard. The gas cylinder should not be tight against it.
View Quote

the gas cylinder is NOT tight against it.

I'd have to tap the threads on the barrel to get the cylinder to touch the front handguard
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#21]
The front hand guard does not have a spacer. It has a ferrule (the part on the front next to the gas cylinder ring) and it has a liner (the flat metal piece that runs the length of the hand guard channel). Which is giving you the problem?
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top