Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 4:09:43 PM EDT
Hey guys, I know absolutely zero about M1 carbines. This is for sale by a family member that needs money. What can you tell me about it, and what would a fair value be placed on it if I were to purchase it? Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoatPatty] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoMoAMMO] [#2]
Depends on the parts. Is the maker Underwood as well, hard to make out from.the pics. 1k easy though.

ETA Bayo maker? C TIP OR d tip sling?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely the barrel and receiver. Not sure about the internals.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to tell from pics.

$1k for even g-vg condition m1 is where the market is these days. Rear flip but bayo lug looks like it went through some kind of rebuild/refurb maybe.

Import marks? CMP paperwork?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Hard to tell from pics.

$1k for even g-vg condition m1 is where the market is these days. Rear flip but bayo lug looks like it went through some kind of rebuild/refurb maybe.

Import marks? CMP paperwork?
View Quote

What he said, need better pictures and need to know if any import marks
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Appears to be a fairly typical unit that went through the post war rebuild (virtually all of them did).  Underwood is one of the less common makes that may have value to a collector.  Easily worth a grand in today’s market, maybe more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:02:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: METT-T] [#8]
Double
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:03:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: METT-T] [#9]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:

What he said, need better pictures and need to know if any import marks
View Quote

Import mark would likely be on the barrel. Looks like a clean Underwood which I think is one of the cooler makes to have but that stock kinda looks like one common on a Korean gun, hard to tell by the pics.

ETA Is the stock checkered?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
yes, the stock is checkered. So aftermarket? No import marks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#12]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

Import mark would likely be on the barrel. Looks like a clean Underwood which I think is one of the cooler makes to have but that stock kinda looks like one common on a Korean gun, hard to tell by the pics.

ETA Is the stock checkered?
View Quote

Maybe. They could also be other places and small enough where they could be overlooked. I have a Howa made Royal Thai issue M1 Carbine that has the import make so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see it on the receiver.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html

Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
If it went through a post war rebuild, wouldn't the flip rear sight have been removed and replaced with the sliding sight?
View Quote

Maybe, could also be a replacement Type 3 barrel band done by a past owner. Or someone could have started "correcting" it with the flip sight, that's why better pics would help IMO

Originally Posted By GoatPatty:
View Quote

See the link I posted and double check to play it safe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For sure, check carefully for the import mark. But from my limited personal experience I'd bet with no obvious mark, bayo lug, flip up sight, and the stock checkering that was a $20 DCM gun.

Still puts you in about a grand OP. Good muzzle and throat erosion numbers might push that up a little.

The stock isn't "aftermarket" per se but probably a GI stock somebody fancied up. The predeccessor to the CMP sold these mail-order for $20 in the early '60s. That was the heyday of customizing stocks. Hurts the collector value some but an original replacement stock isn't hard to come by.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]

For sure, check carefully for the import mark. But from my limited personal experience I'd bet with no obvious mark, bayo lug, flip up sight, and the stock checkering that was a $20 DCM gun.

Still puts you in about a grand OP. Good muzzle and throat erosion numbers might push that up a little.

The stock isn't "aftermarket" per se but probably a GI stock somebody fancied up. The predeccessor to the CMP sold these mail-order for $20 in the early '60s. That was the heyday of customizing stocks. Hurts the collector value some but an original replacement stock isn't hard to come by.
View All Quotes

Good chance your right. My "best" Inland was a Bubba'd DCM gun that was blued and stuck in a sporter stock.

https://public.fotki.com/Don-Flynn/sporter-m1-carbine/

I ended up finding a nice postwar Springfield Armory stock
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
If it went through a post war rebuild, wouldn't the flip rear sight have been removed and replaced with the sliding sight?
View Quote

Somebody probably recently put in the flip sight. If you look closely, it's been installed backwards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#17]
Originally Posted By ggibbs:

Somebody probably recently put in the flip sight. If you look closely, it's been installed backwards.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ggibbs:

I was wondering about that, good catch. That's another reason better pictures would help
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Appears to be a fairly typical unit that went through the post war rebuild (virtually all of them did).  Underwood is one of the less common makes that may have value to a collector.  Easily worth a grand in today’s market, maybe more.
View Quote

Underwood's are the 3rd most common. Inland, Winchester, Underwood....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top