User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2018 10:59:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick to 15rd magazines. The 30rd ones are hit or miss even under the best circumstances.

On USGI magazines, the maker doesn't really matter. Yes, some magazines were made under contract for certain prime contractors, but in the end they all got shuffled around. Just find a couple of nice condition USGI 15rd magazines and leave it at that.

On the USGI mags, avoid the "new in wrap" mags. The wrap held in moisture and such magazines are really "rusty in wrap". They may be worth getting if you can get them super cheap, but expect to have to clean them up.

I have heard the new-made Korean magazines are good, but have no experience with them (I purchased 30+ USGI magazines many years ago when they were very inexpensive).
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont own one but I know they used a different mag catch on the m2's maybe? It will have a little piece sticking out that is supposed to help stabilize the 30 rounders and make them more reliable.
Although I'm pretty sure its not an exclusive part to m2 as I'm pretty sure I handled one that was installed on an m1. I'm going on memory here I'm sure someone else knows more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in the market for these, I'd generally look at gun shows. Often you could find them for reasonable prices; I used to buy them when I'd see them for $10 or less.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
j&g sales has a bunch advertised, both GI and aftermarket.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in the market for these, I'd generally look at gun shows. Often you could find them for reasonable prices; I used to buy them when I'd see them for $10 or less.
View Quote
+1....They are out there and not too bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I have read that replacing the mag catch with an M2 style with the finger will help as long as you have a decent mag in the first place.

I had one person suggest these 30rd mags

https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-carbine-30rd-magazine.html

Again, I am not planning to shoot the M1 that much so perhaps I’ll buy two and if they work well I am good!

I did buy three Winchester contract mags so I have three good USGI mags to get me started and that may be all I really need but I am a magaholic so I likely need more!

Trying to figure out if the KBI Korean 15rd mags are GTG and I would buy four and be done.
View Quote
I have two of those Korean 30rd mags and two 15rd of unknown manufacture. The 30s work well and have the bolt stop so that makes it nice. My kid loves to shoot it and started using his off-hand to charge the weapon after a reload. Apparently video games can teach something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top