Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2018 9:41:13 PM EDT
Hi everyone, my quest for knowledge continues. I think I have gotten pretty good at things lately with the M1 Garand. You guys have been of great help to me there and with all of my questions on other surplus rifles. I just bought a 1943 M1 Garand. I found myself not bidding or making offers on a few M1 Carbines (another must have on my list) because my knowledge of them is lacking.

I found an M1 Carbine that is somewhat local to me. How can I tell serial numbers of a WWII M1 Carbine? This one is an IBM so I am taking that it is for sure a WWII model.

Who all made carbines during WWII and who stopped making them after? Did the same companies make them for the Korean war?

Who are making reproductions and how can I tell if they are reproduction models?

Thanks everyone. I am learning as I go. My collection is also growing. I know have as listed below -

1918 SMLE Lee Enfield
1942 No. Lee Enfield
1943 Mosin Nagant
1943 M1 Garand

It is a small collection but one that I am proud of and can't wait to add to. M1 Carbine and Type 38 and Type 99 and a K98 are on my to get list as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this site, it can answer a lot of your questions

http://uscarbinecal30.com/

IBM made Carbines during the war, so your ok there. M-1 Carbine production for US military use ended at the end of WWII. Post war there were a limited number made in Japan that are considered "USGI" but most post war Carbines are copies

Things to look for on a M-1 Carbine

Import marks, are there any? These are usually on the barrel someplace. That means it was sold to a foreign country like Korea. These tend to have lower pricing since their not as "collectible" as GI bringbacks or post war NRA or CMP sale Carbines

Check the stock for cracks. Ask to have the seller field strip the weapon for you.

Most USGI M-1 Carbines will be "mixmasters" as their known by Carbine owners. Post WWII they were run though the arsenal rebuild program and since parts interchanged they used what was on hand.

Check the barrel for excessive wear, especially if it's import marked.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Many were mixmasters coming from the factory.  Only Inland and Winchester made everything in house and even they would use parts from other contractors as needed.  There were eleven major contractors and hundreds of subcontractors.

Let's see if I can do this from memory.  Inland Division of General Motors was the largest.  Winchester, the only conventional gun company in the mix (and typically were the roughest finished).  Rockola, IBM, Standard Products, Saginaw Steering Gear of GM (two separate factories), National Postal Meter, Irwin Pederson (none ever accepted by the govt, Saginaw took over production), Quality Hardware, and one I can't think of.

The production history of the carbine is fascinating.  Roughly 6,000,000 made in three years.  More than Garands.

ETA:  Underwood
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the replies. I will follow the link and see if I can figure out the M1 Carbines a bit better. The one that is local is on an auction sight. I am watching it now. I am in no hurry to buy. I want to buy the best example I can afford and enjoy the heck out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top