Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2024 2:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP]
I bought a Springfield Scout a while back, had an M-1A standard years ago, think I traded it back during Y2K for something else I "needed", this is the first one since then.
Been a long time since I've had an M-1A, figured it would be a nice mate to my Springfield 1957 M-1 Garand.
I'm thinking of putting a scope on the M-1A, but, it's been ages since I messed around with optics on one of them. Back then it was Springfield mount or B-Square.
Now, it's Springfield Gen 1, Gen 2-Gen 4, Basset, Sadlak, Smith Enterprise.
I can't use the Scout scope mount, that's already taken off, looking for a standard mount.
Suggestions?
This isn't going to be a tack driver, more a plinker, but after scoping an HK-91, I'd like something that would hold zero.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#1]
I’m in a similar situation as you. I had a Norinco m14 with a Sadlak and a SWFA 5-20 scope that I sold over a decade ago.  I bought a Scout Squad a year ago and while I have a red dot on it now, I think I’m going to leave it irons only.  I have scoped AR10’s that are better suited to the optics.  That said the Sadlak steel mount was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:34:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#2]
Bhart89 is spot on as to my recommendation.  Enjoy the irons until your eyes suck of old age issues.  A red dot does make sense too.

Well not the SA Gen 1, they shoot loose.  Ask me how I know.

Any of the others would be fine.  I have a Smith with the older Weaver style slots.  I am that old. . If I had to buy a replacement I’d start with Sadlak.

All that said, scoping a M1a isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.  The ergonomics suck unless you get a good stock with a good adjustable comb or modify the stock you have.  Mine is in a McMillan M3a stock.

Oddly enough last fall I bought a unitized gas cylinder for the old girl to replace my shimmed set up to see if I can better what it used to do for groups.  I used to get 8-9 shots sub moa and the remainder of the ten shot had a definite propensity to widen the group high and right by another half moa or so. It’s been years since I played with that safe queen.

My recommendation is a steel mount with the extra points of contact....
1.  obviously the main side screw and slots
2.  a dovetail replacement mount block that gets fitted to replace the clip charger
3.  a third point of contact, usually a bearing screw that bears on the surface of the front ring of the reciever.

Many are happy with the aluminum airborne mounts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Basset, Sadlak, Smith, and ARMS are going to be your best bets.
The Basset is nice as it is one screw, it's repeatable as long as you follow the instructions, and you can easily remove it for irons. The low mounts will not let you use your irons while installed, so that might be or thing for you. The high mounts do, but your optic is going to be way up there. Even with the low mount you will probably still want a riser like a Bradley if you are using a conventional stock. On a VLTOR type stock you can bring it up high enough that you probably won't need one. The radius on the mount may interfere with some optics rings/bases. I tried using the Basset for my MRO/magnifier and because of the profile on the radius I couldn't get the magnifier on there. There were a couple of other QD/throw lever type mounts that wouldn't work on it either.

The Sadlak will let you use it with a wide range of receivers that may be out of spec. They have a measuring/install kit you can use to measure your receiver and they will machine your mount to fit. They're also pretty durable.
The Smith is a good mount from what I have heard/seen as well.
The ARMS is good as well, so long as it fits your rifle. Some receivers don't work well with it. It will allow the lowest mount possible and when installed it looks like it is part of the receiver. Sometimes that low height means you have brass being caught up between the op rod handle and the bottom of the mount/rings, but you can use GI bolt parts, trim your ejector spring back, or a few other things to get around that if it happens. You can also find one of the split versions or send it to have the middle machined out.

There are some other rails out there that are not easy to find.
The VLTOR handguard rail is good but you may not want to go that far out.

The M14.CA mount is another option. It requires the removal of the rear sight assembly, and then mounts to the sight ears and has a pad that comes down on the receiver, similar to others. It does get the scope down, but at the cost of your irons if that is a concern. There is a hole in the rear of the mount and a channel through the rail to allow for using the front sight if you really need to up close.

The SAI mounts have either a love or hate response from users from what I've seen. You are supposed to beat the mount to fit it to your receiver (if I understand it right, it is a more brutal version of what Sadlak does). The aluminum keys that fit into the locating recesses are forced into mating when you hammer on the mount. The you have the rear screw pushing/pulling to give you some windage adjustment before you use the adjustments on the scope. Once you have it set, then you lock it down. There are lots of reports of these coming loose, but there are also lots of reports of people mounting them 20 years ago and being fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Sadlak mount on my rifle.  It's been good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Basset, Sadlak, Smith, and ARMS are going to be your best bets.
The Basset is nice as it is one screw, it's repeatable as long as you follow the instructions, and you can easily remove it for irons. The low mounts will not let you use your irons while installed, so that might be or thing for you. The high mounts do, but your optic is going to be way up there. Even with the low mount you will probably still want a riser like a Bradley if you are using a conventional stock. On a VLTOR type stock you can bring it up high enough that you probably won't need one. The radius on the mount may interfere with some optics rings/bases. I tried using the Basset for my MRO/magnifier and because of the profile on the radius I couldn't get the magnifier on there. There were a couple of other QD/throw lever type mounts that wouldn't work on it either.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4556-2937501.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4551-2937496.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4537-2936253.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4878-3028320.jpg
The Sadlak will let you use it with a wide range of receivers that may be out of spec. They have a measuring/install kit you can use to measure your receiver and they will machine your mount to fit. They're also pretty durable.
The Smith is a good mount from what I have heard/seen as well.
The ARMS is good as well, so long as it fits your rifle. Some receivers don't work well with it. It will allow the lowest mount possible and when installed it looks like it is part of the receiver. Sometimes that low height means you have brass being caught up between the op rod handle and the bottom of the mount/rings, but you can use GI bolt parts, trim your ejector spring back, or a few other things to get around that if it happens. You can also find one of the split versions or send it to have the middle machined out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_5418-3134939.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_5416-3134937.jpg
There are some other rails out there that are not easy to find.
The VLTOR handguard rail is good but you may not want to go that far out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4670-2964558.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4668-2964566.jpg
The M14.CA mount is another option. It requires the removal of the rear sight assembly, and then mounts to the sight ears and has a pad that comes down on the receiver, similar to others. It does get the scope down, but at the cost of your irons if that is a concern. There is a hole in the rear of the mount and a channel through the rail to allow for using the front sight if you really need to up close.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4522_JPG-2934462.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4538-2936252.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4541-2936248.jpg
The SAI mounts have either a love or hate response from users from what I've seen. You are supposed to beat the mount to fit it to your receiver (if I understand it right, it is a more brutal version of what Sadlak does). The aluminum keys that fit into the locating recesses are forced into mating when you hammer on the mount. The you have the rear screw pushing/pulling to give you some windage adjustment before you use the adjustments on the scope. Once you have it set, then you lock it down. There are lots of reports of these coming loose, but there are also lots of reports of people mounting them 20 years ago and being fine.
View Quote

There is some truth to that.   Initially on my gen 1 mount I was likely not real heavy on the love tap mating of the mount to the receiver surfaces.   I wouldn’t make it through the day.   After a good beat down it was much longer between issues.   Marking the large mount screw with a paint marker line and a corresponding mark on the mount itself would show you if the screw was working loose.   I kind of wish I kept it just for a red dot mount but I sold it off as excess to my needs years ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I have for my Loaded.

Bassett
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
ARMS 18 is my favorite. Have one on my M1A. I have a Bassett on my M14 and it's likewise very nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks much for all the info. Very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:
I have a Sadlak mount on my rifle.  It's been good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an ARMS 18 on mine. I really regret selling it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By K2enemy:
I had an ARMS 18 on mine. I really regret selling it.
View Quote

I'll bet!  Those are unobtainable now.  I keep hoping ARMS will come to their senses and put them back into production.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top