Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2020 10:16:23 PM EDT
Had some fun with one of these today in 38 spc.

I already load for 38 and 357 in a variety of bullets and powders. But today was just for fun to see what these things are all about.

I got this set and a set in 308, and 45/70 in a lot sale a few years ago. Have never tried them as I already load for 308 and 38 spc and I don't own a 45/70.

I made a video, and I won't subject anyone to it. It was almost an hour long uncut to load 10 rounds, shoot them and load 10 more and shoot them.

Things I learned:

They are very fine threads and they gum up very easily. They need to be cleaned, maybe a dip in some solvent and a wire brush scrub would help but I did not think of that before I started filming.

A bit of a learning curve getting every thing set up, but not hard if you have any experience reloading straight wall cartridges at all.

The tool is not all inclusive. Powder measuring would still be a requirement that would have to be addressed. A balance beam scale to verify charges and a variety of scoops or a powder measure would be required at a minimum.

Accuracy was actually pretty good. Closing the action on the Rossi 92 was a little tight at the very end but not outside of normal function. Would not work for someone doing shooting competitions but for those shooting squirrels and plinking steel for fun, I see no issues with it. Even shooting up to Deer level charges would not be unheard of with this kit with careful loading.

If someone were to have 100 pieces of brass fired in their weapon laying around and the dies were all set up and they had already tested the powder charges and knew what to load for, I could see someone loading 100 rounds in an hour on their kitchen table with this little kit if they were moving at a good pace.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Possibility I may be able to share with you dryflash.

I feel like Reloading in general should be a thing to be shared and enjoyed.

Not everyone needs to be able to crank out 1000 rounds per hour on an automated press, or measure every round down to the .001 grain and .00001".

Sometimes, we just want to be able to go out and plink some steel and make sure some empty beer cans know who is boss around here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
@boman250
@dryflash3

Thanks men!  I’ve also admired this tool from afar without actually buying one; closest I came was checking the price and then “cheaping out” with the Lee hand press (it does not mount to a bench either). And yes: I am a cheap sometimes!

Back to the Lyman:  in the interest of expanding this thread and spreading interest in this unique tool, I will add:

Photos:

This diagram might help show how the tool works:

As for the type of portable powder measure used with this extremely portable reloading system, Lee offer this kit:

Finally, I am sure some of you may be wondering:  “but why?”

Sure, the bench reloading most of us do will probably yield higher precision.  But the Lyman is a long-proven system that works anywhere.

To me, that part is key:  portability.

Also: time was, every shot was hand-loaded (I’m referring to muzzle loaders). And being able to reload out in the hinterlands / Wild West / frontier was a huge bonus.

Did you know that many BP revolvers and rifles came from the factory with their own bullet molds? A tool like the Lyman bridged the gap when BP cartridges were first introduced.

I remember reading a book on the old time buffalo hunters where they would buy a few bars of lead, a tin or two of primers, and and a package of gunpowder, and just reload the same few dozen 45-70 cases over and over (with bullets they cast over a campfire).

I feel this tool still has a place today, and I suddenly feel inspired to acquire one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I will try to play with the 308 win version I have soon.

It is a fun little kit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
During the darkest days of the Second Panic I reloaded with a hand press and a set of dippers.

They work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I loaded revolver loads with that for a couple years.  Works fine, and builds grip strength.  Plus, you can size and prime 50 cases in a sit-com episode.  My dad gave a set to me when I graduated college in the mid-90's.  I had the 310 set, a scoop, a box o' primers, a box o' boolits, a scoop, and a powder funnel.  That's it--that's how I started.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go pay market price for one as a reloading setup except in the following situation:
Bachelor
Single pistol caliber that's spendy to purchase (e.g. 44 Spl)
~50rds per week
No immediate plans to reload other calibers

I occasionally use my 310 tool 44-40 sizing die in an older Lyman turret press.

That said, the one thing about the 310 tool is that it really make you slow down and focus on making every shot count.  That, my friend, will go a long ways towards making you a better marksman.  And as far as load accuracy goes, I bet the dies/nutcracker can deliver pretty danged close to the run-of-the-mill press and die set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top