Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2022 3:25:25 PM EDT
Years ago, i used a homebrew conical patch/conical lube. Recipe was scraped from on the internet. It was called "Jr Lube". Some Alox/wax recipe.

I've lost the bottle i made.  Want to try something else, plus I'm out of Alox.

Recently, I've taken an interest in shooting BP again.  Two weeks ago i just dipped some homemade conicals in Ballistol and wipe patches were damp with it. That actually worked great for accuracy and especially on cleanup on my new inline.

Used Ballistol because i recall reading of traditional ML shooters using Moose Milk for patched round ball. MM is just water diluted Ballistol.

Just curious if Ballistol and real beeswax can be mixed together? Will they mix evenly in a cook pot?

I think it would be awesome for patches and lube for conical grooves. Anyone here use something like this with Ballistol as a base?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thompson Center Bore Butter
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Skip the bore butter. I don’t see why Ballistol wouldn’t work mixed with beeswax. Ballistol can be used straight up as a patch lube. Personally I try to avoid heavy waxes in guns that get all the cleaning from one end. Track of the wolf sells an excellent product they call mink oil that works very well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a 50/50 mix of Crisco and Beeswax.

Started separating as it cooled, so I mixed wtih a fork constantly while it cooled instead.  Seems to have worked.  (works good as a fire starter too, just put a pool chalk size hunk in a coffee filter, twist it up adn smear it around inside, and off it goes)

Holds up good in Florida summer heat but it isn't exactly sticky and it may be too hard for real cold (which we do get occasionally during hunting seasons)

If the Ballistol is water based, it won't mix with wax ...

I'd use Crisco, olive oil, or any veg oil to start, add Beeswax to harden it and adding Lanolin will make it stickier/tacky

I've not ordered any yet but my next mix is going to be closer to 70% crisco, 25% beeswax and a dollop or two of lanolin

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used balistol and water, but it does not do well in cold temps, below freezing to -10F, I have not shot my BP rifle in colder temps yet.
Also tried 50/50 beeswax/crisco for some minie balls, works great, but is also affected by the cold. Gets brittle.
I am currently working on making some bear fat lube. I’m going to try it full strength first before I change anything.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ballistol is water based so I wouldn't expect it to mix with beeswax. You could probably get it to dissolve when hot and the beeswax will separate as it cools.

I use 50:50 beeswax:crisco. Historically tallow was used but crisco was easier and smells less. My mix was too soft in the summer in El Paso, my next batch will probably be 70:30 in favor of beeswax.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ballistol is water based so I wouldn't expect it to mix with beeswax. You could probably get it to dissolve when hot and the beeswax will separate as it cools.

I use 50:50 beeswax:crisco. Historically tallow was used but crisco was easier and smells less. My mix was too soft in the summer in El Paso, my next batch will probably be 70:30 in favor of beeswax.
View Quote

Ballistol is not water based, rather white mineral oil.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected, you are correct. The MSDS for Ballistol lists it as non water soluble and that it emulsifies readily in water.

In that case it does probably dissolve well in wax.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of the best bullet lube I’ve done is 2/3 tallow to 1/3 beeswax. I use lamb tallow cause it supposedly doesn’t go rancid and it doesn’t smell like I’m frying bacon on my gun when I’m shooting it. I’ve never tried ballistol but I’d be curious to hear the results.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have bees wax but I have paraffin.  I'll give that a try and report back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some of the best bullet lube I’ve done is 2/3 tallow to 1/3 beeswax. I use lamb tallow cause it supposedly doesn’t go rancid and it doesn’t smell like I’m frying bacon on my gun when I’m shooting it. I’ve never tried ballistol but I’d be curious to hear the results.
View Quote

Mutton (lamb) tallow is some of the best BP lube you can use, either straight up or mixed. Bear grease and oil is also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't have bees wax but I have paraffin.  I'll give that a try and report back.
View Quote

The paraffins are the only petro based products that don’t react adversely with BP fouling. In fact paraffin wax was used during the BP era (it wasn’t as refined and stiff as current Gulf wax though). The other members of the paraffin group are mineral oil and KY jelly…
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The paraffins are the only petro based products that don’t react adversely with BP fouling. In fact paraffin wax was used during the BP era (it wasn’t as refined and stiff as current Gulf wax though). The other members of the paraffin group are mineral oil and KY jelly
View Quote

KY is a glycerin product for the record.  Don't want to be melting those condoms...
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#13]
My standard bullet lube for BP and everything else is a 50/50 mix by volume of peanut oil and beeswax.  Probably doesn't do anything better than some of the other lubes listed but it does give a nice peanut butter and honey sandwich aroma when fired.  It's somewhat soft and sticky and stays in the bullet grease grooves quite well but it does get on the fingers when reloading.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I do the beeswax/olive oil. The ratio depending on temperature. I use it on the lanyard too. I may try the ballistol/beewax next time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

KY is a glycerin product for the record.  Don't want to be melting those condoms...
View Quote

KY Jelly, not KY. ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Turns out I have soy wax, not parafin.  The soy wax and Ballistol.

I melted the wax and added the Ballistol.  It is kinda a goop currently.  Not sure if it is mixing well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

KY Jelly, not KY. ??
View Quote

Image search KY Jelly.  Are you talking about something else?

ETA photo:

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Image search KY Jelly.  Are you talking about something else?

ETA photo:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AYJ8NE/tube-of-ky-lubricating-jelly-AYJ8NE.jpg
View Quote

Way back before the water soluble kind was commonly know of, a common name for Vaseline was KY jelly and petroleum jelly. Vaseline does show up on image search, you just got to scroll down enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
1 part Tallow to 8 parts beeswax was the old civil war recipe.

Just made some the other day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#20]
  I've had excellent results with 50/50 ratio by volume of bees wax and unsalted lard. Heat the mix in an old pot and pour into cake pans and let cool. After cool dump out of pans and break into pieces and bag up into gallon zip locks. When needed put some pieces into small shallow pot and heat to just melted. Dip bullets in with pliers and put them onto sheet of foil to cool.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've had excellent results with 50/50 ratio by volume of bees wax and unsalted lard. Heat the mix in an old pot and pour into cake pans and let cool. After cool dump out of pans and break into pieces and bag up into gallon zip locks. When needed put some pieces into small shallow pot and heat to just melted. Dip bullets in with pliers and put them onto sheet of foil to cool.
View Quote

This is what I use with my .50-70.  I use patches pre lubed with straight bacon grease in my 2 bore which is muzzle loading.  I've never had either go rancid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top