Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 12:19:10 PM EDT
Looking for something new and less gassy for my m16 lower. Looking at OSS vs waiting for the new sig suppressors (whenever that will be). If I was going OSS is their titanium can gonna be durable enough for prolonged full auto use with vs their K model?  Anybody using these full auto with any feedback?  Thanks. Other suggestions welcome. Currently have YHM cans, RC2, M4SDK and older saker 556. Saker and YHM are a bit too gassy for me even with bootleg BCG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with OSS but thought I’d mention, the Bootleg adjustable carrier is designed to optimize function of the rifle, not mitigate back pressure/blowback.

You already have the RC2, and Surefire cans are supposed to be lower back pressure designs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not use a titanium can on a full auto rifle.

I use a Sandman-K.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the radial flow of OSS was supposed to mitigate heat and baffle erosion to a large degree?  Im going to pickup up a socom mini at some point too. Just trying to see hype is worth it for the OSS. Most reviews are semi only. My saker is way to gassy on FA but its a forever can, never gonna wear out. Im going to spend a lot of time tweaking my FA to get a nice suppressed setup. Understanding that the can is only one part of the whole system. Gonna try the m4sdk and socom hopefully soon with various uppers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
@TOOL1075 is likely the best equipped dude to answer this question.

Note, it might help to list your priorities. Seems like:

1. Least [back pressure]
2. Weight? (Ti and K vs normal lines from OSS deduction)
3. ???

If you don’t mind a reasonable amount of length, a reasonable weight, indestructibility, and other neat [stuff], the CGS Helios QD can do some impressive math/science too.

3rd hand, anecdotal report tells me OSS Ti did fine with decent firing schedules and some F/A strings at a LEO demo. That buddy ordered himself a Ti version that same day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@TOOL1075 is likely the best equipped dude to answer this question.

Note, it might help to list your priorities. Seems like:

1. Least [back pressure]
2. Weight? (Ti and K vs normal lines from OSS deduction)
3. ???

If you don’t mind a reasonable amount of length, a reasonable weight, indestructibility, and other neat [stuff], the CGS Helios QD can do some impressive math/science too.

3rd hand, anecdotal report tells me OSS Ti did fine with decent firing schedules and some F/A strings at a LEO demo. That buddy ordered himself a Ti version that same day.
View Quote

I am happy to jump in.

@AKDoc - I also shoot a transferable auto lower, suppressed.

You have a few choices:

1. You can ignore suppressor-tuning from the unsuppressed state and just go with a low backpressure silencer (OSS HX-QD series, CGS Helios DT, Dead Air Sandman-K) - this will mitigate "blow back"

2. You can tune/modify your gun to function with silencers that exhibit moderate flow restriction (back pressure) - this will also mitigate "blow back"

Many people do (1) because they are unable or unwilling to do (2), and that is totally fine.  In my testing, the silencers listed above (and others) are able to keep flow velocity high while still suppressing sound. Some do it better than others.  The Sandman-K has extremely low flow restriction but is very loud.  The OSS silencers are quieter and still very low flow restriction.  The CGS Helios DT is identical to a Hyperion K, but threaded 1/2-28tpi and extremely efficient at balancing flow restriction and suppression.

I personally do (2).  I use a CGS Helios QD (an R&D sample of the Ti version) on my M16.  My upper of choice right now is 11.5" midlength gas with adjustable gas block and Surefire OBC (their BCG that has many real enhancements; I consider it one of the best improvements to the Stoner system in the past decade or more).  I can run this system suppressed/unsuppressed on the same gas setting, even with moderate back pressure silencers, due to its low gas sensitivity.  I can do mag dumps all day with very minimal "blowback" through the ejection port, with brass ejection at 4:00 or whatever I want.

Blowback on autoloading hosts is a function of the host's sensitivity to back pressure.  This is what a lot of people miss.  You don't necessarily need a low flow restriction (low back pressure) silencer to mitigate "blow back" (Option 1).  You can make the gun work for you (Option 2).

I have quantified the flow restriction of many .30 silencers on my website with the PEW Science Omega Metric.  It is an objective quantity that lets you know how restrictive a silencer is to energy efflux / mass flow rate.  You can use this information to determine whether or not a silencer might be appropriate for your host weapon. Whether or not you need a low Omega silencer for your host is a function of your host's back pressure sensitivity.

Here is a link to my data:

PEW Science Public Research Supplement 6.40: The Omega Back Pressure Metric

I hope you and others find this useful!

*Note - 5.56 bore silencers usually have higher flow restriction (back pressure) than .30 bore silencers.  This is simply due to smaller orifice size, which decreases energy efflux and mass flow rate.  I am excited to test the 5.56 bore OSS silencers and compare them to other dedicated 5.56 bore silencers!

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
oops double-tap
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you. Love to hear you opinions. Has anybody have a lot of rounds through OSS? Does the flow design really limit baffle erosion in full auto and short barrels?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top