Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2024 9:47:15 AM EDT
I am looking for some wide flat unpadded suspenders for a battle belt.  The idea being to take some load off the hips when wearing battle belt BUT be able to put plate carrier on over without being bulky and uncomfortable especially if a pack was added on all that. Thanks.

RuKuS
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#1]
ATS

Or maybe a 3-pack of Danish shoulder harness  Use common plastic hardware to adapt to your platform(s).

While Danish unit may be thicker than you want, its 6-point design tends to be superior to 4-point rigs.  Similar to Brit rig, but far more affordable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are wanting to put armor over the suspenders- which is what I do- forget about those Danish ones. I have both HSGI and ATS's low-pro suspenders. Take your pick: they both work fine.

All my battle belts have four point suspenders. PLCE and a couple more have six. I have not found the need to go out out of my way for more than four points.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, those ATS ones should work nicely.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slapdaddy] [#4]
Velocity Systems 6 point "jungle" harness comes about as flat and lo-pro as they get.  I got one for the same stated purpose as OP.  Liked it enough to grab a second one.

ETA, ditch the sternum strap though, it's not really needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
US Grunt Gear makes a version.

https://store.usgruntgear.com/wasu.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:
Velocity Systems 6 point "jungle" harness comes about as flat and lo-pro as they get.  I got one for the same stated purpose as OP.  Liked it enough to grab a second one.

ETA, ditch the sternum strap though, it's not really needed.
View Quote
I looked on VS site and couldn't find a 6-point shoulder harness.  Link, please?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The ATS are ok. Definitely minimalist. The stitching doesn’t inspire confidence but has held up for a few workouts. It’s comfortable under a minimalist plate carrier for a short duration.

There are also a lot of suspender rigs for police duty belts that are made to go under body armor that may be worth searching for.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I made my own set using these. Instead of being a sewn X, there is a circle of bungee in between my shoulder blades and not have a hot spot from my plates. When I wear it as an admin rig when I'm RSO/OIC and don't need a to wear full kit I add a sternum strap from an old camelbak. I've worn it under my plates with the sternum strap for some 6hr range days but it was more administrative and not field use, I wouldn't wear it with the strernum strap probably.
8 triglides
6-8" of shockcord/bungee
and like 12' of 1' nylon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Niquorice:
I made my own set using these. Instead of being a sewn X, there is a circle of bungee in between my shoulder blades and not have a hot spot from my plates. When I wear it as an admin rig when I'm RSO/OIC and don't need a to wear full kit I add a sternum strap from an old camelbak. I've worn it under my plates with the sternum strap for some 6hr range days but it was more administrative and not field use, I wouldn't wear it with the strernum strap probably.
8 triglides
6-8" of shockcord/bungee
and like 12' of 1' nylon.
View Quote

Got a pic of finished product?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RuKuS:

Got a pic of finished product?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the ATS for my battle belt. Using them under a Agelite K19 plate carrier. They work well and as others have stated are a minimalist design. They work great under a plate carrier and you do not notice them very much.  If you want them under a plate carrier they work great. I would buy them again.

Going to go with another set for my match belt setup. Been very happy with my ATS belt and suspender setup.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:42:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Suggest you install a slightly larger diameter ring of 550 cord for when the bungee breaks.  Not "if" but "when".

Adding some thin diameter tubular webbing over the shock cord will protect it to some degree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
Suggest you install a slightly larger diameter ring of 550 cord for when the bungee breaks.  Not "if" but "when".

Adding some thin diameter tubular webbing over the shock cord will protect it to some degree.
View Quote

Ref: 550 cord
Thats probably a great idea to use gutted 550 cord for the loop. Should definitly lay flatter and be more abrasion resistant. Did similar when I was cadet more than a decade ago and we have ALICE belts and replaced the metal hooks with gutted 550 cord in part for noise and also so when we wore them with our rucks the kidney pad wouldn't dig the hooks on the bottom of the Y harness into our back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Niquorice:

Ref: 550 cord
Thats probably a great idea to use gutted 550 cord for the loop. Should definitly lay flatter and be more abrasion resistant. Did similar when I was cadet more than a decade ago and we have ALICE belts and replaced the metal hooks with gutted 550 cord in part for noise and also so when we wore them with our rucks the kidney pad wouldn't dig the hooks on the bottom of the Y harness into our back.
View Quote

Raf's saying to add 550 cord- gutted or otherwise- as a backup in case the shock cord fails. My Tactical Tailor braces have this. The 550 loop can be a hair larger so the shock cord can still do its elastic thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#16]
Originally Posted By lew:

Raf's saying to add 550 cord- gutted or otherwise- as a backup in case the shock cord fails. My Tactical Tailor braces have this. The 550 loop can be a hair larger so the shock cord can still do its elastic thing.
View Quote
Lew understood my poorly worded previous post.

Most "shock cord" or "bungee cord" is very vulnerable to use (repeated extension/contraction) as well as sun exposure and dirt corroding the cord.

"Covering" or encapsulating such elastic cord is always worthwhile; tubular nylon suggested.

"Marine-Grade" Bungee/Shock cord, when found, is WELL worth additional expense.  "Marine-Grade" bungee cords augmenting my Miata's car cover working perfectly well going on 3 years.   Harbor Freight Bungee cords failed after a single summer.   As said: "Choose Wisely".
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Alice belt and suspenders
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By scrum:
Alice belt and suspenders
View Quote

Referring to the thread title:

"Looking for some flat unpadded suspenders for battle belt"

Have fun wearing ALICE suspenders under armor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

They work just fine over armor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

i wore that with no big fuss, cut the padding off, reused the pads to improve the comfort of a medic bag without luck. Not much discomfort with the metal slider

it was worn mostly under that carrier on the left. On the right is a belt kit held with DBT suspenders that are the basically the same thing. Worn much less, but again, no problems with plastic hardware.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Also note why there is elastic in the BFG / Tyr suspenders

The VTAC combat suspenders too have elastic cord.

Those Vtac ones are patterned after the Us Army model 1950 trousers suspenders which early in the combat belt era were used to some minor extent as low profile suspenders.

Oh, also those working man suspenders made to hold up tool belts saw a non trivial amount of use early.

This is a snap from a famous Force Recon picture.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:42:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#22]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
Also note why there is elastic in the BFG / Tyr suspenders

https://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/realment/0001465_bfghsoc-c-low-profilehsuspenders.jpg

The VTAC combat suspenders too have elastic cord.

https://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/w/a/r/warriors/D1HAUybUcAYqpK9s-s%E3%82%B3%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC_1.jpg

Those Vtac ones are patterned after the Us Army model 1950 trousers suspenders which early in the combat belt era were used to some minor extent as low profile suspenders.

Oh, also those working man suspenders made to hold up tool belts saw a non trivial amount of use early.

This is a snap from a famous Force Recon picture.
https://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/tarotaro/tarob517000.jpg
View Quote
Carefully removing LC-1 Alice shoulder rig padding never occurred to me, as decent substitutes were/are available.  For someone on a low budget, might make a lot of sense for this unique application.  Will need a "Stitch-Ripper" (amazon) to best do the job.  FWIW, a "Stitch-Ripper" is essential for this kind of job.  Using a sharp knife is, IMHO, asking for problems.

Again, and IMHO, any sort of round elastic bungee cord should be "augmented" with some sort of solid cord which will act as a backup when, not "if" the bungee cord fails.  Just make the "solid" cord a bit wider diameter than extended bungee cord so that solid cord does not interfere with desired bungee cord elasticity/full extension.  "Marine" grade bungee cord is FAR more durable than any "Mil-spec" bungee cord I've seen, let alone common civvy bungee cord.

Example:  Marine grade round bungee cord used to secure my Miata's car cover has lasted over 3 years with no signs of deterioration.  Former Harbor Freight bungee cords wore out within 6 months.  

When it becomes necessary to replace existing "Marine" grade shock cords, I will definitely enclose them with tubular nylon sheathes in order to protect them.

FWIW, never have been a fan of any sort of elastic cord, be it round or flat.  In my personal opinion, such elastic cord was introduced as a means of cutting cost, pure and simple.  There may be limited uses of elastic items, but I suggest that proper design of original item, while more expensive to make, might preclude elastic items and be far longer lasting.

And just to add, not a fan of velcro, which also clogs up and wears out.  Been "roasted" about these opinions before, so have at it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
They work just fine over armor.
View Quote

I didn't make the thread. Take it up with OP.

While we're here: low-profile suspenders under armor is far more comfortable than ALICE braces over armor. If one is starting off with neither, low-pro is the way to go. That has the option of being worn over armor if desired.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Jayjay’s makes a dedicated under armor yoke that’s a bit more stout than most of what’s offered here in the US. It’s as low profile as you can get, but doesn’t have any elastic; not an issue for the large padded belt kits, but for a belt connected to your trousers, you’ll need some stretch. Easy enough to fix by adding shock cord to the belt connection points as a buffer; double up some 3/16 bungee cord for each connection point, should be plenty strong with more than enough flex.

The yoke isn’t expensive, but shipping from the UK is murder

It’s a 4 point though, wish they’d made it a 6 point setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top