Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 10:03:43 PM EDT
Co worker has a Marlin 336Y he is looking to sell. He claims he bought it new and shot 5 rnds through it and didn't like the recoil... Says he has about ten boxes of ammo to go with it,$400.00 for everything.

This is what I got for $400.00 7 boxes of ammo 3x 150 gr 4x 170gr + what's on the stock sleeve and 1 loose round,ammo can, sling,soft case,limbsaver and scope bases. I have been trying to figure out production date and if it is a Marlin,Ruglin or Remlin production gun,serial number indicates it's a 2003 gun. Barrel stamped manufactured in North Haven Connecticut Model 336Y and REP in an oval stamped on the right side. New to lever actions so don't know a hell of a lot,I figure I paid $200 for the gun and $200 for the ammo. Any experts on these rifles care to clear the waters for me. Serial #MR978xxC

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Remlin and a youth model. I'm pretty sure the REP is a Remington proof mark and the serial# is also MR. But I'd make that deal all day long. Gun is worth $5-600
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd have taken that deal!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger will be making more of them later this summer probably closer to $1200.  You got a deal. Recoil is subjective because there are guns out there that have much more recoil than a 30-30 .  I had a Win 94. 30-30 with a steel but plate and because it was so light it seemed like it had more recoil than a 30-06. Marlins tend to be very accurate and 30-30 takes deer without the damage a magnum causes. Not ideal for Grizzly .
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe you’ll find that’s a gun assembled by Remington using some parts produced by marlin before they were bought.  
That’s the start of the timeframe when the junk guns that gave Remington made marlins a bad rap were put out.  

Only way to tell is to go shoot it.  Unless it doesn’t cycle at all or shoots 1-foot groups that’s a really good deal.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe you’ll find that’s a gun assembled by Remington using some parts produced by marlin before they were bought.  
That’s the start of the timeframe when the junk guns that gave Remington made marlins a bad rap were put out.  

Only way to tell is to go shoot it.  Unless it doesn’t cycle at all or shoots 1-foot groups that’s a really good deal.  
View Quote

I've even read that some of the guns assembled during these times had barrels with the JM stamp.

OP, If it were me I'd shoot it before spending a dime.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've even read that some of the guns assembled during these times had barrels with the JM stamp.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought it yesterday and I just got back from the range as I wanted to re zero my thermal anyway. I used the same target as I did for the thermal but moved it up to 25 yards. The holes with the sharpie marks and the same size ones are from the Grendel w/thermal. Believe it or not there are 6 shots from the Marlin in there somewhere....Tip of a 30-30 round in there for reference.

Attachment Attached File

And can anyone decipher this barrel stamp? it is on the left side right in front of the receiver.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks to me like you got a good deal.

I'd like a 336Y like that to mess around with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you got yourself a shooter!   Nice!
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey OP, it looks like you got a good one...congrats
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top