Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2023 7:08:56 PM EDT
Was looking to purchase my first can and was wondering if folks had any thoughts on what my best options are?

Host will be a 14.5” mid-length 5.56. Biggest caveat is that I currently live in WA, so while suppressors are still legal, parts fall into a gray zone and it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to purchase the necessary items to tune my gun. I’m also not that interested in changing things out like an adjustable gas block, etc. I wouldn’t mind switching out the spring or buffer but the less tuning the better in my case. The barrel currently has a SF warcomp p/wed on. Planning to remove this and replace with a new muzzle device.

I’m currently looking at the Huxwrx Flow 556k, Flow 7.62Ti, and now the Griffin Dual-lok 5. I like everything I’ve read about the Flow cans, specifically with the new 7.62. It also seems like they’ve figured out the repair bit as well. Biggest things that concern me are that I’ve heard the 556k sound at the muzzle is not great. Also not a huge fan of how they look and the fact that their muzzle devices are proprietary.

The Griffin can looks cool but info seems sparse. Biggest question for me is can I run this on an untuned host with minimal back pressure and fouling of the receiver? Sound at the muzzle from what I’ve read is pretty good for a flow-through can.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
if this is your first can, id buy the flow 762 ti (for low pack pressure options). look at the pew science ratings for the flow 762 ti. the bonus of going with the 762 is you can shoot this on your 30 cal guns as well.

outside of hux, i think griffin and sig are the only other companies who actively market their suppressors as 'low back pressure' options. im assuming hux is the most extreme out of the three. the rest of the industry will take a few years to catch up.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Biggest caveat is that I currently live in WA, so while suppressors are still legal, parts fall into a gray zone and it's unlikely that I'll be able to purchase the necessary items to tune my gun.
View Quote
One thing to consider with your unique situation is suppressors generally increase bolt speed and the force of the bolt cycling. That is going to be harder on parts and theoretically shortens the life of things like extractors, extractor springs, recoil springs and perhaps the bolt itself.

Really low back pressure cans mitigate this. @TOOL1075 any thoughts here for these folks in WA?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
All three seem like good choices.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing to consider with your unique situation is suppressors generally increase bolt speed and the force of the bolt cycling. That is going to be harder on parts and theoretically shortens the life of things like extractors, extractor springs, recoil springs and perhaps the bolt itself.

Really low back pressure cans mitigate this. @TOOL1075 any thoughts here for these folks in WA?
View Quote

The most effective weapons in the arsenal of a tuner of Stoner's weapon system are:

1. Increase Mass.
2. Decrease Gas.
3. Decrease Dwell time.

Inertia starts from rest. Stock up on tungsten weights. Not regulated. Make your own H3 buffers.

Adjustable gas blocks. Figure out a way to get them. Get a fat gas tube. Figure it out.

Push the gas port as close to the muzzle as possible. Get barrels that have that option.

With those 3 philosophies, you stand the best chance of helping your system deal with a high(er) backpressure silencer and can get your AR running slick.

Avoid super strong springs if you can. You return the carrier too fast for no reason. Unless, of course, you're an HK416 nut, which I totally respect. But that guy is not one, so he doesn't need that.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Jay. Good point about tungsten weights.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The most effective weapons in the arsenal of a tuner of Stoner's weapon system are:

1. Increase Mass.
2. Decrease Gas.
3. Decrease Dwell time.

Inertia starts from rest. Stock up on tungsten weights. Not regulated. Make your own H3 buffers.

Adjustable gas blocks. Figure out a way to get them. Get a fat gas tube. Figure it out.

Push the gas port as close to the muzzle as possible. Get barrels that have that option.

With those 3 philosophies, you stand the best chance of helping your system deal with a high(er) backpressure silencer and can get your AR running slick.

Avoid super strong springs if you can. You return the carrier too fast for no reason. Unless, of course, you're an HK416 nut, which I totally respect. But that guy is not one, so he doesn't need that.

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote

Good to know. Been trying to figure out what to do with my Turbo T2 now that I have a Flow 556K on the way. Maybe an 11.5” middy barrel is what I need. Was contemplating a Ruger bolt action ranch rifle, but I just don’t know how often I would use that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think Mike Pannone is a proponent of 15% heavier action springs.  What those can accomplish is increased force to strip the first rounds off magazines, and also increased force to close a system when the system is dirty. The spring weight increase is also like static mass increase for the system. 15% is not bad as far as extra force to charge and operate with. This is generally compatible with std gas.

I once saw a gun designed for less than 4 malfunctions in 20,000 rds and it had maybe a plus 45% (or higher) spring and adverse gas.  That involved lubrication only every 2000 rds. It was shit as a suppressor host due to the adverse gas being so loud, but it showed a firearms manufacturer had to significantly increase operating power to get the reliability significantly up from standard to meet the extreme reliability requirement.

+15% is as high as I would go in changing a spring in an ar. It seems to be a happy place where the charging force isn't excessive to a point of being bothersome. It can also be a sort of gap fix for commercial spec guns running Nato ammo more optimally.
View Quote
Sounds like a good case for a Tubb's flatwire spring. 50% more spring pressure going into battery than a standard buffer spring, but doesn't add any pressure when the bolt is fully rearward and the spring is most compressed.

Attachment Attached File

From here
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to know. Been trying to figure out what to do with my Turbo T2 now that I have a Flow 556K on the way. Maybe an 11.5" middy barrel is what I need. Was contemplating a Ruger bolt action ranch rifle, but I just don't know how often I would use that.
View Quote
I recommend a 12.5 midlength. The 11.5 doesn't give you enough room between the gas block and muzzle device to adjust an AGB.

I have both (Faxon barrels). I went with a BRT EZ tune gas tube on the 11.5 and a Superlative AGB on the 12.5.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Mike Pannone is a proponent of 15% heavier action springs.  What those can accomplish is increased force to strip the first rounds off magazines, and also increased force to close a system when the system is dirty. The spring weight increase is also like static mass increase for the system. 15% is not bad as far as extra force to charge and operate with. This is generally compatible with std gas.

I once saw a gun designed for less than 4 malfunctions in 20,000 rds and it had maybe a plus 45% (or higher) spring and adverse gas.  That involved lubrication only every 2000 rds. It was shit as a suppressor host due to the adverse gas being so loud, but it showed a firearms manufacturer had to significantly increase operating power to get the reliability significantly up from standard to meet the extreme reliability requirement.

+15% is as high as I would go in changing a spring in an ar. It seems to be a happy place where the charging force isn't excessive to a point of being bothersome. It can also be a sort of gap fix for commercial spec guns running Nato ammo more optimally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds like a good case for a Tubb's flatwire spring. 50% more spring pressure going into battery than a standard buffer spring, but doesn't add add any pressure when the bolt is fully rearward and the spring is most compressed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359356/IMG_1404_jpeg-2836473.JPG

From here
If I were in the OP shoes and obtaining replacement parts was a problem, I would put a higher priority on keeping wear and tear to a minimum and less priority on reliability under any conditions (within reason of course).

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I were in the OP shoes and obtaining replacement parts was a problem, I would put a higher priority on keeping wear and tear to a minimum and less priority on reliability under any conditions (within reason of course).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds like a good case for a Tubb's flatwire spring. 50% more spring pressure going into battery than a standard buffer spring, but doesn't add add any pressure when the bolt is fully rearward and the spring is most compressed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359356/IMG_1404_jpeg-2836473.JPG

From here

I'm not a pro here, so this post is worth what you paid for it. But, to me, one positive of the Tubb spring is the increased spring pressure when the bolt is closed, which should delay unlocking of the bolt, and reduce wear on the bolt lugs.

Also, since there isn't any extra pressure when the spring is fully compressed (there's actually 10% less pressure when compressed vs a standard spring) the bolt doesn't get as much of a running start as it moves forward.

On top of that, flatwire springs should have a much longer service life.

Eta: Sorry OP, we got a little off topic.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
^ Good points mitsuman47.

But that's comparing an AR10 spring to a Tubbs AR10 spring no?

I don't see any data comparing to a standard AR15 carbine spring.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^ Good points mitsuman47.

But that's comparing an AR10 spring to a Tubbs AR10 spring no?

I don't see any data comparing to a standard AR15 carbine spring.

View Quote
Yep. You're correct. Good catch. I would think the effect would be comparable between standard AR15 spring and flatwire AR15 spring.

I might reach out to Tubbs and ask.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I might reach out to Tubbs and ask.
View Quote

Let me know what you find out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top