Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2020 12:11:46 PM EDT
Have taken to shooting these in my backyard because they’re quieter than even an air gun. Looking for something with 20+ inch barrel, stock picatinny mount, and fairly cheap. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger American Rimfire
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Savage MK2.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger American Rimfire
View Quote

Ruger mags > Savage mags
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ruger mags > Savage mags
View Quote

That's the only reason I bought one. I wish I would have bought the precision model but the standard is fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington 510 is a good used option, I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Both the Ruger and the Savage are great choices. There is an argument to be made the jumping up to the Tikka T1x gets you a lot of capability and future proofing.

What gets shot even more than these w/ CCI quiet is a Thompson Contender .22 pistol. This is really an incredible setup, no noise, more challenge at a lot of the ranges you would reasonably be shooting at.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ruger American Rimfire
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, this isn’t a new option, but I have an old Remington 512 Sportmaster, a bolt action with a tube magazine. I load it up with CB .22 shorts which seem to be easier to find than subsonic .22lr and POI is the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree, you find lots of the old single shot or mag feed bolt action .22's from the '40s, '50s and '60s for silly cheap prices.  

I still have my very first gun, a single shot bolt action Remington 514 and it still shoots very well.  It was old and well worn when I got it as a youngster.  IIRC I think I looked it up once and it was made in the mid 1940's.

They were built to last back then which is why there is still a ton of them still out there.  I love my polymers and stainless rifles but that little super light Remington with wood worn smooth and natural patina barrel just feels amazing to this day.  

Find one and show it some love.  They are still great rifles.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree, you find lots of the old single shot or mag feed bolt action .22's from the '40s, '50s and '60s for silly cheap prices.  

I still have my very first gun, a single shot bolt action Remington 514 and it still shoots very well.  It was old and well worn when I got it as a youngster.  IIRC I think I looked it up once and it was made in the mid 1940's.

They were built to last back then which is why there is still a ton of them still out there.  I love my polymers and stainless rifles but that little super light Remington with wood worn smooth and natural patina barrel just feels amazing to this day.  

View Quote

The old Savage/Stevens/Springfield Model 15/120/125 single shot bolts actions is another one to look for. Savage made a bunch of them. Which name and model number put on the rifles depended on which stamps were on the assembly line that day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Want to have real fun? Track down a pump action .22. I have a Remington 121-but you'll likely spend near the upper end of 39A prices for a nice one. Model 12s can be had much cheaper but check the bore! They are old enough that blackpowder .22 was still a thing. I didn't know this and got one that would chamber a .22LR in the muzzle when I didn't check.

ETA-for a cheapish bolt gun as asked, Remington Model Five/Zastava Z5/CZ(99?). all the same gun, very accurate and the last ones I saw were in Ruger American price range. Steel and wood, with a stock cut for an adult shooter. The Zastava and CZ variants have plainer wood than the Remington and will be cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Savage cricket
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a fan of Savage's box mags, but they do have rotary mags on the B Series.  The Ruger Americans are awesome rifles at a reasonable price.  

Something else you might want to consider is a tube fed pump or lever action.  That will allow you to shoot CB shorts, which are very quiet too and will give you a larger capacity.  Not sure how it is in your area, but I can still find CB Shorts on the shelf right now but normal 22LR is pretty hard to find and CCI Quiets are long gone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Keystone 722 Varmint.  Cheap, surprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don’t have a C&R it would be worth it to source an older .22lr bolt action.

The store branded models can be especially cheap.
The $30 fee is lower than some transfers now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
An interesting one to look at is the Beretta Olimpia that Classic has listed right now. Bolt action semiauto. Leave the handle up and it's a semiauto, flip it down and it's a short-throw bolt action.

No pic rail though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Chiappa Little Badger that shoots CCI Quiet very well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger American Rimfire
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Savage Rascal. I have one great gun. They now sell one threaded for $189
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I do exactly this with a Ruger American. My chipmunk gun. Yes the CCI quiets work well. My CZ trainer is considerably more quiet but I hate to leave it in the garage. The longer the barrel the more quiet you will be.
The Ruger works well enough I logged Vietmunk number 67 for the season this morning. I sight in at 15 yards, the distance from the garage window to the bird feeders. Surprisingly I hold just a hair high for the wood pile at 50 yards and score consistent body shots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#21]
As far as an inexpensive non auto, Henry’s can be had for under 300$, although they’re only 18.5 inches.

Edit: and the standard scope rail isn’t picatinny
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Winchester 67
They are an old single shot .22
Around $125 at gunshows last I looked, now stupid prices on GB

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get gas blowby with low power ammo in mine.  
Didn't really notice till I shot it suppressed.
Standard pressure, no issue.
CBs or quiets I get a crack.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As far as an inexpensive non auto, Henry’s can be had for under 300$, although they’re only 18.5 inches.

Edit: and the standard scope rail isn’t picatinny
View Quote

I keep a Henry loaded with CB caps by the back door.  It has been reliable feeding the CB caps, same dimensions as a 22 short, and it holds a bunch of them.  Quieter than my pellet gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Used CZ or Ruger American.  Ruger 77-22 more better.

Don't rule out a Ruger 10-22 with a bolt stop.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Dad bought me a Remington 514 as my first rifle.  I loved that gun.  My oldest boy has it now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Savage FVSR or Ruger American are my choice
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a Remington 514 also. It is much quieter than the newer shorter barreled guns. I use mine to shoot the CB longs, much more quiet than my pellet gun. The older single shot guns had longer barrels and that's what you need. Shooting the CCI Quiets in a pistol is pretty loud. The older guns can be found for less than a $100 sometimes much less. I bought mine for $50 and have spent way more on ammo for it but it is almost a quiet as my suppressed 22s. An added benefit to a single shot is conserving ammo you shoot a little slower.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]
LGS has NIB CZ 455 Americans(syn stock) for $289 last time I was in there a week or 2 ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I really want to find a 455 or 457 jaguar with the 28" barrel to shoot quiets out of.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I was going to recommend.  Surprisingly accurate with anything I've fed it, and a much better trigger than expected.  The rails are plastic, but there is an aftermarket source for aluminum replacements.  Bonus is the muzzle is already threaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top