Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2018 9:36:52 AM EDT
The catch 22 ....

Tough enough for a class, light enough/breathable enough for hot weather (75F+), cheap enough where, in case it's not tough enough lol, I won't cry (too much).

??
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anyone makes one, Dan.  :(
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Define "cheap".
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
$150 perhaps?

I suppose it will depend on how tough it is meant to be.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
As a subject of conversation I'm looking at the Arc'teryx Alpha Jacket Gen 2.

There is certainly an element of 'maximum retail' in relation to its price.

But how well does it breathe at 75F?

If it's 75F and 75% humidity will ANYTHING matter?  Or will having no shell be preferred lol.

If it is a magic material that can handle an environment such as above, and everywhere it does cost $750, will I cry at the first abrasion?  
Or will there be fewer tears if it was $300?

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-jacket-gen-2

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Nvm
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
For that price, you probably won't find any Goretex products. Are you just looking at shaking off a drizzle, or talking about a full-blown downpour? If you're going for full-blown downpour, Goretex is the way to go. Arcteryx is solid stuff, but Outdoor Research also has some solid options. If it's a drizzle, I've had great luck with Patagonia's Torrentshell. With the pit zips open, I've worn it in Houston's summer humidity, but you'll still get a bit clammy.

Either way, if you're wearing kit, you'll eventually still have some moisture penetration where there's pressure, such as the shoulder straps if you elect a non-Goretex jacket.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Goretex's most breathable stuff is not as robust.

LL Bean Gore Tex Pro $150 - tough less breathable

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83135?page=beans-gore-tex-pro-shell-jacket

Meh sold out

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-optima-gore-tex-paclite-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~3969d/

Tough enough for the price. STP has various discouts. Look around, think I paid less than $100 for one or both. On my second. You going to be crawling around or bushwhacking. Do OK for the second, you'll get punctures if crawling. Seems to handle abrasion well enough, but I've gotten some holes and pinch tears. Its Paclite (2.5 layer) The Aron Jacket (Goretex)is out there  for $149 - shitty colors. thats what you get at $150.

You'll get sweaty, just not soaked  suck it up
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Check Cabales .
They have some branded gear that not bad and reasonable .
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a subject of conversation I'm looking at the Arc'teryx Alpha Jacket Gen 2.

There is certainly an element of 'maximum retail' in relation to its price.

But how well does it breathe at 75F?

If it's 75F and 75% humidity will ANYTHING matter?  Or will having no shell be preferred lol.

If it is a magic material that can handle an environment such as above, and everywhere it does cost $750, will I cry at the first abrasion?  
Or will there be fewer tears if it was $300?

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-jacket-gen-2

https://images-dynamic-arcteryx.imgix.net/S18/450x625/Alpha-Jacket-Gen-2-Ranger-Green.png
View Quote
For Florida, you want the Alpha LT. The regular Alpha would be overkill IMO.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do you need to keep off rain at 75 degrees or more? You would welcome it.

At any lower temp, I have eVent based top and bottoms. Goretex is just not breathable in anything other than cold a d dry environments. My eVent pants and top aint cheap.

Now that GE sells the membrane from eVent to anyone willing to pay, its hard to even know which waterproof laminates use it but the thing you do know is that Goretex is automatically not breathable and to avoid ANY product that uses a solid film technology like Goretex.

I love Arc'teryx products but their use of Goretex makes me avoid their otherwise superb hard shells for anything other than dry, alpine, high altitude environments. You want a waterproof layer that actually lets moist air through and does not rely on molecular diffusion through a solid film. I suppose you have to pay attention to the moisture transfer rate stats at higher temps and humidity since anyone using the eVent inner membrane will be touting that over generic laminates, but cant use eVent name unless the use their proprietary inner and outer fabrics and pay for licensing.

Otherwise get something cheap and disposable and not breathable like Frogg Toggs.

Oh, and a top without bottoms is pointless, IMO.

Your post sounds like the guy who wants a sub MOA, duty/full auto ready AR for under $500.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
For FL classes perhaps I'll just stick with the Marmot Precip I have and treat it as semi-disposable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top