Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 12:02:01 AM EDT
I came across an older Century FAL (non-Hesse) in one of the local pawn shops, and was able to get it for a reasonable price.  It cleaned up ok, but it failed my .308 FIELD headspace gauge with light pressure, so I need to work out what locking shoulder I need to get it safe to shoot again.

I can order a full range of pins from MSC, but it would be $75+ for all of them, and I don't have any other use for precision pins that I can think of.  Is there anyone in the south Houston / Clear Lake / League City, TX area who has a set and would be willing to help me resurrect this rifle?

I've been researching how to remove the old locking shoulder and install a new one.  It doesn't look too bad as long as you've got a shop press.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Might also want to post in the HTF might find it quicker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I went back and forth on whether to put it in the HTF, but decided a set of specialty tools would fit better here.  If I can't find anyone, I'll try over there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a .308 headspace gauge if you wanna use that. I live in Cypress.

ETA:

pretty sure Go, no-go gauges. I'll check when I get home
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I have a set of go/no-go/field headspace gauges though.

I was hoping someone had a .250 to .280 precision pin gauge set for picking the proper locking shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
They're pricey, but a set of Starrett hole gauges are a lot more versatile than pin gauges.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
MT might be a bit of a drive, but thank you.  I have no idea what size pins I'll need, but I suspect is might be towards the high end, in order to correct for failing a field gauge.  It's looking like I might just have to buy a set, and then I'll be the guy if someone else in the area needs them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
For reference:
SAAMI .308 Winchester
GO: 1.630 in.
NO-GO: 1.634 in.
FIELD: 1.638 in.

FN FAL
GO: 1.6325 in. (FN & Brit/commonwealth. Canadian is 1.6315 in.)
NO-GO: 1.638 in.
FIELD: 1.640 in.

7.62 NATO (M14 US MILSPEC)
GO: 1.6355 in.
NO-GO: 1.638 in.
FIELD: 1.6445 in.

Note that .308 Field = 7.62 No-Go, with 7.62 Field being 0.002 - 0.0065 greater. While your rifle is "technically" still safe by 7.62 specs, tightening it up is definitely a good idea.
You're going to need to remove your existing locking shoulder anyway, so press it out with the same cheap (but perfectly serviceable) Harbor Freight 2-ton arbor press that you're going to need to press in the new locking shoulder.
That locking shoulder allows your bolt to close on a 1.638 inch gauge. Measure it, and you'll have a good idea of what size locking shoulder you're going to need to bring your headspace down to 1.63xx (whatever you decide to set it at).
You could just order up the appropriate sized LS and skip the pin gauge(s), since you have HS gauges and can actually confirm proper headspace. However, I'd spend the $75 for a set of pin gauges; it's a lot cheaper than a new FAL receiver, and a whole lot cheaper than an ER visit. Besides that, having the set of pin gauges allows you to know what range of locking shoulder sizes will work for you: not every size LS is going to be immediately (or cheaply) available.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the reference material. That parallels what I'd found on falfiles.

I've got an arbor press I can use. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tap it out with a hammer and drift. It's nowhere near press pressure.

You might be able to make an educated guess on the shoulder dimension.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just tap it out with a hammer and drift. It's nowhere near press pressure.

You might be able to make an educated guess on the shoulder dimension.
View Quote
Yeah, I found out it wasn't all that tight. I ended up ordering the set of pin gages, and they worked great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top