Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2022 10:02:05 PM EDT
I currently have a large safe that was supposed to fit 12 long guns. It does not! I can barely squeeze in the 5 i have and they don't fit that great. Was starting to look up new systems and came across something called secure it. Any input on those or any suggestions for anything else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
check out the rifle rods rack system
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
As I understand, the capacity ratings are for a basic rifle with standard stock, no scope.

Add scope, pistol grips etc and the rule of thumb is to assume 1/2 of the rated capacity

Also, those capacities for storage only.  Figure you have to remove lots of rifles to get at any remotely near the back, if you want easy access to most of them that will cut capacity also.  They base the capacity on guns packed in like sardines.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You can also put every other rifle in muzzle down (assuming your safe protects the muzzle in that position).  That will allow you to fit quite a bit more in.  In some cases, even with pistol grips and optics, I've used that along with rifle rods and been able to get MORE rifles in a safe than the advertised capacity.

Getting them out - at least the ones not right up front - is another story.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Rifle rods is the way to go. I have a 30 gun safe that has close to 40 guns in it, because of rifle rods.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Rifle rods flex two much and are too weak.

They need rods designed for .22, .30, .45.

I think its just .177 and .22 now.

.22 in a .45 or even .30 suck and flex too much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top