Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 9:35:00 AM EDT
I have a "vintage" original Cold Steel Carbon 5 SRK bought in like '91/'92 (IIRC) while I was in the Army. I carried it on deployments and the knife is special to me. Part of why is it was made in my home town, Olean, NY, which is home to Cutco/Ka-Bar (formerly Alcas Cutlery) where my dad worked for more than 14 years in the '70's and 80's. Apparently, at least at some point, they were one of Cold Steel's US OEM makers, per a relative that was working there when I bought it.

Anyway, I am wanting to make some changes to it. About a decade ago I flirted with putting a micarta handle on it and removed the Kraton one by drilling out the flared brass thong tube. I decided it was above my skill level, and now the knife has sat and is not safe to use because the handle slides off. So, here's kinda what I'd like to do, with options:

1. Add a nice set of micarta scales and brass guard, with thong hole, in the style of a Randall Model 15 Airman, like here: Model 15 Airman or a Buxton Fighter, like here: Buxton Fighter

Of course, I am open to maker's suggestions based on capabilities and limitations and materials.

2. Add a leather handle like shown in this video, in the style of a Ka-Bar: Awesome!!!

Honestly, I think I prefer this because of the Ka-Bar tie-in and it looks sweet. However I would prefer brass or blackened guard and buttcap instead of micarta he used, or whatever is recommended by maker. Maybe something like this Fallkniven Njord.

3. Replace original flared tube to restore the knife to useable condition. Obviously not my preference, LOL, but...

I am also interested in having the blade refinished or polished, as well as adding a hollow grind vs the bar convex edge on this thing. Or even a flat grind. Anything to make it a better work knife and sharper. Again, I defer to the maker, but want a Fallkniven-like grind profile, since the SRK appears to be similar (knock-off?) of a Fallkniven S1. I would also wish to add thumb notches to the top.

Anyway, I am asking for a response to start a discussion and figure out how to proceed. A Tennessee knife maker would be awesome, but not a hang-up. I will want image examples of previous work.

If anyone has done something similar, I'm up for advice or suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
In!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In!
View Quote

Have I made a no-no? I have not really ever come to this formum or paid much attention even though I’ve got a ton of knives and a large interest in knives. Just looking to get pointed in the right direction whether it’s a maker who is a member or a member who can point me towards maker.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Not at all. I'm in because interested!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not at all. I'm in because interested!
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, here are pics of the patient:

Here are some ideas stolen from intardnet:

Still hoping to see a knifemaker weigh in. I do have a couple of good links for folks who offer re-handling and modification services. What I would really dig is a Buxton Fighter-like makeover of this SRK, including adding the tang extension. I think it is possible and fairly simple for a welder to add an extension on to the original tang.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive to SMKW and see what the folks in the knife making supplies section might be able to suggest. Perhaps I will give it a whirl myself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool knife ready to become cooler!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Great knife, I had the same model for my days in the Army.  Was ready to use it for close encounters in Iraq - ended up just opening many an MRE with it.

Personally, I'd clean it up, put the oringal handle back on, and have someone put a fastener back on the handle.  It'll be a heirloom for any kids - their dad's Army knife.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
@ DamascusKnifemaker
@ Kuraki

Two members that make knives might be able to possibly help....
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@ DamascusKnifemaker
@ Kuraki

Two members that make knives might be able to possibly help....
View Quote

Came to tag them as well

I’ve done handling work and it’s not crazy hard but I’m not at the point of taking on an heirloom. Micarta is easy to work if you have a belt sander. Stabilized wood is straight forward as well.

I vote towards restoring to original. That’s cool cause that’s how you carried it. If you really want one like you have ideas for then get one of those too
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, here are pics of the patient:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/n6czejis-1755311.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/el1hppmw-1755312.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/IMG_8116_JPG-1755290.jpg

Here are some ideas stolen from intardnet:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/97bd0c70abb4cad285c5e7346141812e-1755294.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/AwKrTg_md-1755296.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/DSC_2170-1755298.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169657/619f58f73e2df066c269d4a5d51b8eb8-1755297.jpg

Still hoping to see a knifemaker weigh in. I do have a couple of good links for folks who offer re-handling and modification services. What I would really dig is a Buxton Fighter-like makeover of this SRK, including adding the tang extension. I think it is possible and fairly simple for a welder to add an extension on to the original tang.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive to SMKW and see what the folks in the knife making supplies section might be able to suggest. Perhaps I will give it a whirl myself.
View Quote

A threaded pommel would probably be better than welding on a tang extension. It looks to me like the tang configuration on the Buxton fighter style is a bit different than the srk, but it probably wouldn't be impossible to modify the srk to match. More an issue of the juice being worth the squeeze.

If it's your heirloom war knife, I'd just reinstall the original handle and spend the money you'd spend modifying the srk on a custom built to your spec. They can be had for less than you'd probably think.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I put a new handle on a CS Master Hunter for a friend of mine.
The way I did it was a huge PITA, but it came out really well.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it finished.
I do have one of it almost done, before I put the final contour on the handle.
Click here

There was a place called Sunrise Custom Knives that did great CS handle conversions, but it looks like the knifemaker has stopped taking any new work due to age and health issues.

If someone asked me to do it again, I would have to charge a lot more than a bottle of Irish whiskey like I did my buddy.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
given the stick tang you have, the stacked leather option is probably the best one.
you cant really do a Randall Airman type cause of the stick tang.

I would take on the job, will IM OP
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
given the stick tang you have, the stacked leather option is probably the best one.
you cant really do a Randall Airman type cause of the stick tang.

I would take on the job, will IM OP
View Quote

I’ve got the same knife and I think stacked leather would look excellent!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have I made a no-no? I have not really ever come to this formum or paid much attention even though I’ve got a ton of knives and a large interest in knives. Just looking to get pointed in the right direction whether it’s a maker who is a member or a member who can point me towards maker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In!

Just my thought, but if it has a lot of sentimental value to you on multiple levels, why molest it and why not just look for another knife that fits the profile of what you’re wanting here and now?

Chris
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
This one with the “SOG” style stacked leather looks awesome.  Maybe a more SOG styled guard too?

Attachment Attached File

SOG knife:

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top