Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2018 6:45:02 PM EDT
Little bit of a long story... Had an Engineer's carbine some years ago, and it was in nice shape on the exterior, but had a poor bore that would keyhole after 20 rounds of not so rapid fire. I sold it and the 200 plus rounds of surplus ammo for a fair price, but always wanted to get the long infantry rifle. I picked up some surplus ammo (around 150 or so and 100 Norma factory rounds for virtually free, plus some RCBS dies), so now I am ready to get one. Pricing kills me, as they range from anywhere from $400 to over $100 for virtually the same type of rifle. They mostly seem to be in near 95% condition and mostly all matching... So what is an actual fair price for a 95% plus condition long rifle and either all matching or mostly matching. Don't really care about a matching bayonet as this would be a shooter, and I would reload some pretty gentle hand loads. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprisingly towards the lower end of the scale...you should be able to get a nice one for $400 to $600 with a little legwork. I wouldn't go more than $700....

I picked up a beautiful 1909 Cav Carbine, and was somewhat surprised how in general how low the value was according to the SA Mauser collectors, I picked up a gorgeous Peruvian 1909 (I think, its basically a Gew 98 made for Peru) for about $600...

I think there aren't hordes of SA collectors driving up the prices...
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi 98k... Thanks for the help on pricing... I agree that Argentine Mausers haven't appreciated like other mausers, I think mainly due to the caliber...but they are exquisitely crafted rifles, and some of the best of their generation... the fact that they have survived to this day in such incredible condition is a plus in my mind... so other than the basic rifle itself, how much would a matching bayonet and scabbard add to the rifle value?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked mine up a few weeks ago for $199, and it's in really good shape.

Look at the 'wrong' stores from time to time... the places that don't know how to move anything that isn't an Evil Black Rifle will sometimes get 'stuck' with something and they don't know what it's worth or sometimes even what it is.

Even some smarter shops will get an old carbine with a turned down bolt, and assume it's been sporterized, even though it came from the factory that way.

But I'd agree with the above. I got a smoking deal from a guy who didn't know what he had or what it was worth.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi 98k... Thanks for the help on pricing... I agree that Argentine Mausers haven't appreciated like other mausers, I think mainly due to the caliber...but they are exquisitely crafted rifles, and some of the best of their generation... the fact that they have survived to this day in such incredible condition is a plus in my mind... so other than the basic rifle itself, how much would a matching bayonet and scabbard add to the rifle value?
View Quote
I think it's mostly due to the caliber.  People will reload for Swede and Swiss, but Argentine doesn't seem to have any level of popularity.  As far as matching bayonet and scabbard, I'd say at least $150 - probably more.  No "matching" bayonet and scabbard for any C&R gun is going to be less than $100-125, unless it's been buggered with.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
plug this number in gunbroker for a completed auction

Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw that one and thought that is a pretty fair price for a rifle over 120 years old and is near mint....
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that one and thought that is a pretty fair price for a rifle over 120 years old and is near mint....
View Quote
so did I ,

I sold an Argy and a similar condition Peruvian for about $150 more (each) a few months ago
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top