Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 5:59:05 PM EDT
I want to get a .300 BLK Sig. Would appreciate some advice on which way to go. It appears as of 2020, I have three options available:

1) MCX Virtus with 9" barrel

2) MCX Virtus Tacops with 6.75" barrel

3) MCX Rattler Canebrake with 5.5" barrel

Virtus obviously gives the most option in terms of handguards and barrel swaps compared to the Rattler, correct? I already own a Virtus 11.5" pistol.

The Tacops comes in black (only way to get black gun if that matters to me) and also comes with iron sights.

Canebrake gets you the E190 color + smallest footprint.

All three have the same 2 stage Matchlite Trigger? Except the Canebrake comes with the flat face version and a special coating (Ti-N)?

Canebrake seems to be the most expensive with being about $400 over the price of the Virtus Tacops (street price). The Virtus 9" pistol seems the cheapest with being about $250-275 cheaper than the Tacops (street pricing) and that is about $650-675 cheaper than the Canebrake.

Other than color, pistol grip and a few different features like iron sights being included/excluded and slightly different trigger, anything else separating the three that is worth noting?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I think the 6.75" Tacops is the most versatile you could do right now.

With the same gun you:
-Can go full length with a full sized can and SD handguard it comes with (LVAW-esque)
-Can keep it fairly compact with a K sized can and the 6" Midwest handguard
-Can go super small, and keep it only 1.25" longer than a rattler without a can with the same handguard above

The other benefit to the virtus over the rattler is its the full size upper receiver and you can swap the sig barrels and handguards without issue. The rattler has a slightly shorter upper so I don't believe you can use other sig handguards on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
TACOPS is a hard value to beat.  As mentioned above, it's the most versatile - should you decide you wanted more barrel length, you could always drop in a 9" 300BO barrel - or 11.5" 556 barrel - with nothing but the barrel change (don't have to worry about OP rods, like you would like doing a different length in a Rattler upper).

Also, you can still put a Rattler barrel in a Virtus upper, should you decide you wanted to go shorter than 6.75".  There wouldn't be a super short OEM HG, but if you were going to go SD handguard anyways, it's worth noting.  

There's also the standard Rattler, which is another option to get a black gun.  You can buy the SD Rattler/Canebrake handguard as an individual component.  Canebrake Handguard

Something else worth noting - 6.75" barrels tend to dry up, from time to time.  So, if you were to buy the 9", you MIGHT have to wait to find a 6.75" barrel, should you want one.  Not that these barrels are going anywhere, but they tend to be the most popular "added" barrel, as well as being the most popular contract barrel, as well.  Everybody wants that LVAW action
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been going through the same evaluation process. I decided on the TACOPS for the reasons Coregon mentioned. The thing is near impossible to catch right now. One dealer said it's been discontinued and what they did receive recently was a run that SIG put together with bin parts. I don't want to believe that's the case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been going through the same evaluation process. I decided on the TACOPS for the reasons Coregon mentioned. The thing is near impossible to catch right now. One dealer said it's been discontinued and what they did receive recently was a run that SIG put together with bin parts. I don't want to believe that's the case.
View Quote

This isnt true.

ETA:  The MCX TACOPS is a TALO Distribution exclusive, so it's not on our standard dealer price list.  Which may be why some dealers think its discontinued.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Personally I think the 6.75" Tacops is the most versatile you could do right now.

With the same gun you:
-Can go full length with a full sized can and SD handguard it comes with (LVAW-esque)
-Can keep it fairly compact with a K sized can and the 6" Midwest handguard
-Can go super small, and keep it only 1.25" longer than a rattler without a can with the same handguard above

The other benefit to the virtus over the rattler is its the full size upper receiver and you can swap the sig barrels and handguards without issue. The rattler has a slightly shorter upper so I don't believe you can use other sig handguards on it.
View Quote

Thanks for the comment. I agree the Virtus or Tacops do offer the most versatility. Since I already have a 11.5 Virus, the ability to easily swap back and forth with a Tacops is definitely a benefit.

I was thinking about going with the 9" Virtus since my .30 cal suppressors would still work for that length. Dropping down to 6.75" barrel length would require me to grab another can to work correctly.

Quoted:
TACOPS is a hard value to beat.  As mentioned above, it's the most versatile - should you decide you wanted more barrel length, you could always drop in a 9" 300BO barrel - or 11.5" 556 barrel - with nothing but the barrel change (don't have to worry about OP rods, like you would like doing a different length in a Rattler upper).

Also, you can still put a Rattler barrel in a Virtus upper, should you decide you wanted to go shorter than 6.75".  There wouldn't be a super short OEM HG, but if you were going to go SD handguard anyways, it's worth noting.  

There's also the standard Rattler, which is another option to get a black gun.  You can buy the SD Rattler/Canebrake handguard as an individual component.  Canebrake Handguard

Something else worth noting - 6.75" barrels tend to dry up, from time to time.  So, if you were to buy the 9", you MIGHT have to wait to find a 6.75" barrel, should you want one.  Not that these barrels are going anywhere, but they tend to be the most popular "added" barrel, as well as being the most popular contract barrel, as well.  Everybody wants that LVAW action
View Quote

What you say is true and good advice. Maybe one day I will add a Rattler, but think I to get another Virtus or Tacops since 2 is one and all that. Rattler is probably one I will look at down the road.

That is a good point about buying a 9" Virtus and then waiting for a 6.75" barrel. I have noticed the MCX barrels in general are hard to find right now. Makes sense the 6.75" would be the hardest to find for barrels.

Spending $500-600 on another barrel kit on top of the Virtus does make the Tacops route look more attractive than it already was.

For those of you with a 6.75" and 9" MCX, do you ever run the longer barrel any more after owning both? Or just use the 6.75" for the most part?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

For those of you with a 6.75" and 9" MCX, do you ever run the longer barrel any more after owning both? Or just use the 6.75" for the most part?
View Quote

Well on my MPX, which started as a 16" carbine, I SBR'd it with an 8" barrel and I keep the 16" in the case thinking I'd use it someday. In three years I never have though. The 8" does everything I need it to.

I just picked up a Canebrake and I'm thinking about snagging a 9" barrel when I can find one. The 300 Blk seems to perform best in velocity and energy with barrels of this length. I would assume accuracy as well. It would also lighten up the gun a bit as the inert trainer would be off. Wish they weren't so expensive! Looking at the Sig Small Parts shopper it seems like there would be a few other parts needed as well.

I didn't even know about the TacOps version. I'm a sucker for that E190 Cerakote though!

Good info in this thread, thanks to all posting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Is finding a Tacops in stock going to be even harder than when I waited 5-6 weeks to find a Virtus?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Is finding a Tacops in stock going to be even harder than when I waited 5-6 weeks to find a Virtus?
View Quote

I'm still on the hunt after Impact Guns botched my order. Never again with them. I settled on a KAC SR-15 Mod 2 in the meantime. I feel like the TACOPS will be worth the wait.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NemesisMind:

I'm still on the hunt after Impact Guns botched my order. Never again with them. I settled on a KAC SR-15 Mod 2 in the meantime. I feel like the TACOPS will be worth the wait.
View Quote

What happened with Impact Guns? I am not their notification list. Did they say they had them in stock but not have them?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#10]

What happened with Impact Guns? I am not their notification list. Did they say they had them in stock but not have them?
View Quote

That's exactly it because apparently they drop ship. I get it can happen in that situation, but it took them two weeks to update the status from "pending" to "backordered." Their staff was barely responsive about any inquiries or a resolution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]

That's exactly it because apparently they drop ship. I get it can happen in that situation, but it took them two weeks to update the status from "pending" to "backordered." Their staff was barely responsive about any inquiries or a resolution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What happened with Impact Guns? I am not their notification list. Did they say they had them in stock but not have them?

That's exactly it because apparently they drop ship. I get it can happen in that situation, but it took them two weeks to update the status from "pending" to "backordered." Their staff was barely responsive about any inquiries or a resolution.

That's a bummer. I know they are hard to get. Sig only seems to send a few at a time to distributors/dealers and they don't last long.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What happened with Impact Guns? I am not their notification list. Did they say they had them in stock but not have them?
View Quote

Quoted:

That's exactly it because apparently they drop ship. I get it can happen in that situation, but it took them two weeks to update the status from "pending" to "backordered." Their staff was barely responsive about any inquiries or a resolution.
View Quote

Quoted:

That's a bummer. I know they are hard to get. Sig only seems to send a few at a time to distributors/dealers and they don't last long.
View Quote

I'm a huge fan of modular rifles (SIG MCX, and LMT). I definitiely think the TACOPS is the sweet spot in the MCX lineup. 9" 300blk ARs are a dime a dozen, and doesn't take a lot of fooling around to run them successfully. The 6.75" takes advantage of SIG's R&D, and gives you a package that a SBR/Pistol with a LAW folder could only dream of.  

I JUST had my IMPACT Guns (MCX TACOPS) order ship.. which was placed on March 30th... COVID has delayed a lot of distributors.  For anyone looking, get on a notification list with Rifle Gear.  They have actual items in stock, and ship incredibly fast. They stock the TACOPS models.

I'm doing 3 setups with mine:

1. LVAW-like:10" Midwest SD handguard (6.75" 300blk barrel), and suppressor
2. Poor Man's Rattler: 6" standard width Midwest handguard, and Q Cherrybomb/Whistle Tip
3. "Cheaper" Trainer: 11.5" 5.56 barrel kit, and use either the 10.5" SD, or buy the thinner profile rail... still unsure.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a Canebrake that I recently upgraded to midwest industries handguard because the stock handguard was giant and bulky to fit the faux suppressor. Sure enough the new one fit the faux suppressor anyways, plus it feels nicer in the hands (250% improvement) and looks pretty dope. It's a really nice and accurate pistol and the trigger is great with tiny creep and a nice predictable break. The grip feels funny because of the PDW type nature of it, meant for close quarters and you can tell by the way it feels. You do have to get used to it for sure (the angle). I did also buy a Taccom Recoil Cushion which helps recoil somewhat even with the 300 BLK.  Recoil still felt lighter than a 5.56 AR15 rifle.

I just had the 5.5" 5.56 Rattler caliber conversion delivered on Friday so my Canebrake is a little more unique now. Gonna pair that most likely with a Venom Defense Hybrid Muzzle Device + Linear Comp Sleeve

I'm not a fan of any color other than black (especially FDE) in a rifle so this is the only non-wooden gun I have that's not black and the cerakote job is the best I've seen, for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
I got a Canebrake that I recently upgraded to midwest industries handguard because the stock handguard was giant and bulky to fit the faux suppressor.

https://i.ibb.co/2jNPZbK/therealahrion-20200409-0004.jpg
View Quote

I assume that's the 5.25 version for the Rattler?

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-sigr-5.25.htm
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I assume that's the 5.25 version for the Rattler?

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-sigr-5.25.htm
View Quote

Yes but if you get the 5.5" 5.55 Rattler conversion kit, you need to use the Sig 5.56 Rattler handguard and not the MI or 300 BLK versions. I actually noticed when I got my Rattler 5.56 conversion that while it's 5.5" barrel, the muzzle device is threaded into the gas block and pinned there. The barrel effectively ends within the gas block itself. Also, gas adjustment happens in front.  So the entire 5.5" 5.56 barrel + gas block/muzzle device is longer than the 5.5" 300 BLK assembly because of that. This was weird to me, but it's how they designed it. Putting on the MI 5.25" 300 BLK Rattler Handguard still worked, but was short and ugly. I prefer the MI handguard as it is low profile and has better ergonomics and weight, but there was no alternative to the 5.56 Rattler assembly. Oh and you cannot remove the 5.56 Rattler muzzle device. . .well actually you could, but there's nothing to replace it with.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got notification from a few online dealers I was on the notification list that they have Tacops in stock. Just a heads up for those that have been waiting to get one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ballistically speaking, is there any huge loss or gain in performance between the Rattler 5.5 vs Virtus 6.75 barrels? I'm kind of in that 10.3" v 11.5" mindset with 300blk right now. I purchased the Rattler to have that smallest package for 300blk but i'm wondering if I bump up to 6.75 if that opens up measurable capabilities for me in ballistics (and reliability) while giving up that slight increase in size. It's interesting that the 6.75" available at the time just wasn't cutting what the dudes were looking for at the time. The difference in overall size between a rattler unsuppressed and a 6.75 minus can (with appropriate HG) seems negligible. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never liked barrels shorter than 9".  They're agile, but you're spewing out a lot of unspent powder and the muzzle blast at the no-fun end tends be intense in both sound and heat felt by the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ballistically speaking, is there any huge loss or gain in performance between the Rattler 5.5 vs Virtus 6.75 barrels? I'm kind of in that 10.3" v 11.5" mindset with 300blk right now. I purchased the Rattler to have that smallest package for 300blk but i'm wondering if I bump up to 6.75 if that opens up measurable capabilities for me in ballistics (and reliability) while giving up that slight increase in size. It's interesting that the 6.75" available at the time just wasn't cutting what the dudes were looking for at the time. The difference in overall size between a rattler unsuppressed and a 6.75 minus can (with appropriate HG) seems negligible. Am I missing something?
View Quote

Comes down to if you want it be multi purpose vs single purpose.

Multi purpose easy switch to 11.5 556 or 16 556 then Virtus or Tacops

Single purpose being most compact package possible Canebrake or Rattler

You get a little more velocity with the 6.75" but are you using it at distances where you are going to take advantage of it.

I have a tacops on the way and will have all options you have. So feel free to send some questions if you got any more.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I personally went 6.75" TACOPS.  It gives you a better suppressor platform (supposedly the Rattler should be shot sparingly suppressed), slightly more velocity, the LVAW contract was based around the 6.75" barrel, and SIG's SBR ammo is developed around 6.75" ballistics.  I have a 6" Midwest Industries hand guard on back-order to still give me a un-suppressed "poor man's Rattler". I also have a 11.5" Virtus barrel in 5.56 for some cheaper plinking/training.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The development of what became the "Rattler" (5.5" 300BO - non suppressed, but the ability to suppress) was completely outside of the LVAW program (6.75" 300BO - 100% suppressed).  Hence the shortened receiver, shortened handguard and the ability to shoot a wider range of ammo, while unsuppressed, etc.  

So, it didn't really mean that the 6.75" "wasn't cutting it", just a different mission set.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Comes down to if you want it be multi purpose vs single purpose.

Multi purpose easy switch to 11.5 556 or 16 556 then Virtus or Tacops

Single purpose being most compact package possible Canebrake or Rattler

You get a little more velocity with the 6.75" but are you using it at distances where you are going to take advantage of it.

I have a tacops on the way and will have all options you have. So feel free to send some questions if you got any more.
View Quote

I am starting to feel like I bought into the more niche 300 BLK with getting the Rattler. Since I pretty much leave the can on, I feel like I should just go up to a 6.75 with the SD hand guard.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I personally went 6.75" TACOPS.  It gives you a better suppressor platform (supposedly the Rattler should be shot sparingly suppressed), slightly more velocity, the LVAW contract was based around the 6.75" barrel, and SIG's SBR ammo is developed around 6.75" ballistics.  I have a 6" Midwest Industries hand guard on back-order to still give me a un-suppressed "poor man's Rattler". I also have a 11.5" Virtus barrel in 5.56 for some cheaper plinking/training.

View Quote

I think the setup as you described with the 6.75" running both an SD hand guard and the MI 6" hand guard is really what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The development of what became the "Rattler" (5.5" 300BO - non suppressed, but the ability to suppress) was completely outside of the LVAW program (6.75" 300BO - 100% suppressed).  Hence the shortened receiver, shortened handguard and the ability to shoot a wider range of ammo, while unsuppressed, etc.  

So, it didn't really mean that the 6.75" "wasn't cutting it", just a different mission set.
View Quote

Good knowledge. Thank you.

When you say "shortened receiver", are you talking about the top rail rail forward of the ejection port?

"shoot a wider range of ammo, while unsuppressed" are there any super sonic ammos that have given the 6.75" any issues unsuppressed if you were to run it in that Virtus gon' Rattler configuration with the 6" hand guard?

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good knowledge. Thank you.

When you say "shortened receiver", are you talking about the top rail rail forward of the ejection port?

"shoot a wider range of ammo, while unsuppressed" are there any super sonic ammos that have given the 6.75" any issues unsuppressed if you were to run it in that Virtus gon' Rattler configuration with the 6" hand guard?

View Quote

He's talking about the top rail. It is shorter.  I'm assuming the unsupressed stuff was reliability and consistency while fouled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top