Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
Need help with my custom Glock 34.  I'm using a threaded Zev barrel and an Agency 417 compensator.  I used the included thread locking glue included on the barrel threads and the two set screws, let it set for 24 hours like the directions said, etc.  At the range today, it was loose within 100 rounds.

I need something stronger, but what type of thread locker is out there that holds up against heat?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
How about regular old blue loctite? Clean everything up good first. Don't think I'd be going red unless you never plan on removing shit
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about regular old blue loctite? Clean everything up good first. Don't think I'd be going red unless you never plan on removing shit
View Quote
Will that hold up against the heat?  The stuff that came with it had a red tinge to it, but not sure exactly what it was.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take my time removing any oil or old loctite and reapply with blue loctite. If that don't do it I'm sure the red stuff will do it but is much harder to remove and involves heat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I would try Vibra-Tite VC3. Ever get a grip screw or other accessory that has threadlocker preapplied to the fasterners? Its basically the same stuff. I havent used it in your particular application but it has worked well for anything else I've used it for. Worth a shot.
Vibra-Tite
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The question is, did you thoroughly de-grease all the threads? Did you use enough thread locker? I can tell you from experience that red Locktite WILL keep an FAL flash hider from unscrewing. Side question, how do you get the barrel out for cleaning if the comp is "permanently" attached?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The question is, did you thoroughly de-grease all the threads? Did you use enough thread locker? I can tell you from experience that red Locktite WILL keep an FAL flash hider from unscrewing. Side question, how do you get the barrel out for cleaning if the comp is "permanently" attached?
View Quote
I was just taking the recoil spring out, unseating the barrel, then it'll move up and down and turn, so I cleaned it that way, and was able to run patches through.  More of a PIA but definitely doable.  As for prep work, I can't say for sure that the threads were completely clean so that could have been a factor.  And the stuff that came with the comp was definitely NOT red loctite.  It was just a small sealed pouch of thick liquid that had a red shade to it.  Seemed too runny to be a good glue to me, but I'm no Elmers glue scientist.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would try Vibra-Tite VC3. Ever get a grip screw or other accessory that has threadlocker preapplied to the fasterners? Its basically the same stuff. I havent used it in your particular application but it has worked well for anything else I've used it for. Worth a shot.
Vibra-Tite
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Either this or the Vibra-tite posted above OP..the heat a barrel gets to will always soften normal types of locktite....
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
try using a loctite primer . open gun builders use it for putting on comps when using loctite
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Rocksett
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Blue loc tite should be enough, it's good for some decent temps. No matter what you use make sure the threads are clean. I would use a tap to clean the threads. I would also use a primer, it's amazing how much primer helps.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
As others have said make sure everything is degreased before applying Loctite.
If that doesn't hold. Rocksett is the next step.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rocksett
View Quote
This is the answer you seek. Designed for high-heat applications, where most other thread locker compounds aren't.

Rocksett
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of lost track of this "thread" ha-ha.  The red loctite along with taking a copper brush and dental tool to the threads has worked great, haven't had any issues.  I also got some Rocksett and used it recently on installing an AAC 51T attachment.  Thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
rocksett is the industry standard for suppressors, which retain heat and get hotter much faster than a compensator. rocksett is water soluble. if you ever need to remove it, simply dunk it in water for 15 minutes and it dissolves completely, allowing easy removal for cleaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top