Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/24/2020 11:52:33 AM EDT
Last week we went to PSA in Greenville SC and their reloading supplies were completely sold out.  The same at the Academy Sports.

Our local gun shop (there's only one in our small town) still has powder available.  I recently bought a pound each of Hodgdon HP-38 and Winchester Autocomp, neither of which I have ever used before.  But Hodgdon HP-38 seems to be similar to Titegroup that I have used in the past.

My past reloading as been pistol with 9mm being the primary load.  I've primarily used Accurate #5 and still have 4+ lb if it.  The reality is with only 4,750 SPP remaining I have enough powder to consume all my supply of primers.

I visited the local store yesterday and they still have stock of these handgun powders:

Winchester
  244 Ball
  231 Ball
  296 Ball
  Autocomp

Alliant:
  Bullseye
  BE-86

For .223/5.56 I have about 7 lbs of Accurate 2230 but at 24 grains/round that will load just over 2,000 rounds, then I'm out of powder.  They do have some rifle powders there but I'll have to revisit to document my options.

All their offerings are in 1lb jars and all about $26.95 to $29.95 in pricing.  In today's climate that's reasonable.  Is there a particular pistol powder that's a favorite for 9mm and 38 special reloads?

I'm thinking I should decide on a favorite and stock up while I still can.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Of those I'd pick W231
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would. Something feels different(to me) this time. Better prepared than not.
Now get on finding some primers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you only grab one of those mentioned, in would be Win231, just my .02

Lots of load data, old school powder, would be useful in .38/9mm as you inquired about.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They have no primers available.  I'm glad I bought the 5,000 CCI SPP at the gun show about a year ago, for $25/1000.  Wish I had bought at least 2x that.

If the 231 is limited in supply, I'm thinking they only had one, what's the 2nd choice?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have no primers available.  I'm glad I bought the 5,000 CCI SPP at the gun show about a year ago, for $25/1000.  Wish I had bought at least 2x that.

If the 231 is limited in supply, I'm thinking they only had one, what's the 2nd choice?
View Quote

My choice, Bullseye
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend buying all that you can! Yes there is a primer shortage, with that said you might be able to swap powder for primers. I would say to do the same with bullets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
For a long time I kept a years worth on the shelf and then Obama was elected causing a dip in availability. I bumped that up to two years and then Sandy Hook happened. From what I have seen, it takes about 2-3 years for things to settle down after one of these panics.  Primers have always been the biggest bottleneck.  Powder is second to that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My favorite 9mm load uses True Blue.

From your list, get W-231and Bullseye, maybe Autocomp, but I have never used that.

I have used BE-86 in 10mm, great powder. If they have 9mm data it would be my first choice from your list.

W-231, Bullseye are both good but are dirty powders.

223, I used A2230 for years when it was $5 cheaper than other powders. Good stuff.

My favorite here is Tac.

Also H-335, W-738, BLC2, IMR-4895, IMR-3031, AR Comp, and Re-15 are all good choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last week we went to PSA in Greenville SC and their reloading supplies were completely sold out.  The same at the Academy Sports.

Our local gun shop (there's only one in our small town) still has powder available.  I recently bought a pound each of Hodgdon HP-38 and Winchester Autocomp, neither of which I have ever used before.  But Hodgdon HP-38 seems to be similar to Titegroup that I have used in the past.

My past reloading as been pistol with 9mm being the primary load.  I've primarily used Accurate #5 and still have 4+ lb if it.  The reality is with only 4,750 SPP remaining I have enough powder to consume all my supply of primers.

I visited the local store yesterday and they still have stock of these handgun powders:

Winchester
  244 Ball
  231 Ball
  296 Ball
  Autocomp

Alliant:
  Bullseye
  BE-86

For .223/5.56 I have about 7 lbs of Accurate 2230 but at 24 grains/round that will load just over 2,000 rounds, then I'm out of powder.  They do have some rifle powders there but I'll have to revisit to document my options.

All their offerings are in 1lb jars and all about $26.95 to $29.95 in pricing.  In today's climate that's reasonable.  Is there a particular pistol powder that's a favorite for 9mm and 38 special reloads?

I'm thinking I should decide on a favorite and stock up while I still can.

My favorite 9mm load uses True Blue.

From your list, get W-231and Bullseye, maybe Autocomp, but I have never used that.

I have used BE-86 in 10mm, great powder. If they have 9mm data it would be my first choice from your list.

W-231, Bullseye are both good but are dirty powders.

223, I used A2230 for years when it was $5 cheaper than other powders. Good stuff.

My favorite here is Tac.

Also H-335, W-738, BLC2, IMR-4895, IMR-3031, AR Comp, and Re-15 are all good choices.

I really need to get caught up on new powders. 231, Bullseye, Herco, 2400, Unique, all old school that I learned to load on.

I did pick up some True Blue a couple years ago after the last powder shortage subsided.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a firm believer in having powder for every primer.  Then add bullets over time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
HP38 = W231 Thats all I use in 9mm Glock and CMMG PCC. Also use in  38 spl wheel gun.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a firm believer in having powder for every primer.  Then add bullets over time.
View Quote

That is a good approach.  I have "enough powder" but not enough primers for powder, that's my issue.  Powder in my area is available at regular ($25/lb and $165 8lbs) prices still so I may load up and barter for primers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Rifle powderselection can be particular to optimized accuracy and velocity and such applications can matter and are of value.  

For pistol powder,  if it's usable at all   it's good to go for the most part, as most reloading is for cost effective paper and gong punching out of a not-sub-MOA device held in your hands st arms length.   So give or take 100 fps and another MOA doesn't really matter, for the vast majority of usage.

So that said,  any general purpose powder like HP38 is'nt a mistake if a you don't already have a 4 year stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you load 300BO? If so get 296 as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Bullseye a lot and have been for years. Prices are reasonable
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would recommend buying all that you can! Yes there is a primer shortage, with that said you might be able to swap powder for primers. I would say to do the same with bullets.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I am going Saturday morning with the intent of buying some pistol powders but not yet decided on which one.  If they still have the Win 231 I'll get it, but I think they only had one of those.  I've been reading about the Win Autocomp and it seems it is designed for auto pistols with compensators.  I'll see if I can exchange the one I bought for another option.

It seems Alliant Bullseye gets a lot of love, but I understand it burns dirty.  At one time I used up a lb of Unique and while it functions well it left the gun dirty.  The Accurate #5 that I've been using burns clean, one reason I've stuck with it.

They do have multiple bottles of the Bullseye so I could get 10 lb or more.

Any feedback on the 244 & 296 powders?

And, Merry Christmas everyone!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Not promoting it, I do use it in 9mm and 45acp though. But BE86 does have several calibers listed available for loads.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems the BE-86 needs to be loaded hot if used in 9mm.  Considering that, the Bullseye might be the better option between the two.

Attachment Attached File

BE-86 Link

The Winchester 231 looks good, but I think there's only one bottle there. If still there I'll grab it.

Win 231

The Winchester 244 looks really interesting

Win 244

The Winchester 296 less so

Win 296

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]

I actually bought a lb of Autocomp way back when just because it was about the only thing available locally at that time.  

Turns out it shot incredibly well in my 38 under a 158lswc.  It was whatever was a starting load in the Hodgdon data, don't recall, but easy enough to look up.  Shot so well I never even bothered to work up a load.

But as the others have stated W231 is very widely useful.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, being a slower burning pistol powder BE86 needs to be loaded on the warmer side for a complete burn.

Which I'm doing using Jake's 124gr MPR bullet. Target and SD bullet. Think I paid just under 9 cents each shipped. Which isn't too bad for a nice JHP bullet ??.  Sure it's no HST wasn't lucky enough to get some of them pulls.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I would buy them out of BE-86 and leave the rest. It’s my favorite pistol powder for 380, 9mm, 10mm, 38SPL, and 45ACP.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's ironic that all of us stack ammo deep and hoard guns for a war where a single bullet won't even be fired. No joke
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#27]
This morning I dropped in and they let me exchange my one jug of Autocomp for their last jug of Win 231.  I then purchased their last three jugs of Win 244.

Purchased thus far:

1 lb Hodgdon HP-38  Will use primarily for 38 special & 357 Magnum & 40 S&W
1 lb Win 231  9mm
3 lb Win 244  9mm

(Note: I understand that HP-38 and Win 231 are the very same powder and can be used interchangeable.)

The still have 21 more 1lb jugs of Bullseye so I could get some of it early next week.  But they also offer WIN WSF Ball powder.  

What's the hive's opinion of the Win WSF for primarily 9mm loads? Between Win WSF and Alliant Bullseye which is the better choice?

As a side note they have 24+ jugs of the Autocomp and it seems it is very usable even without using a compensator.  But I don't have a pistol compensator and with the other options available I will steer clear of it.

New topic; To support .223/.556 55 grain FMJ boattail reloading.  The have in stock the following:

1. Alliant Power Pro 4000-MR (magnum rifle powder, probably not a good choice)

2. Alliant Power Pro Varmint

3. Hodgdon H380

4. Hodgdon Leverevolution

5. Hodgdon Superforance  (1 jug of 1lb)

Of these five, is there a best for my application?  I still have about 7 lbs of Accurate 2230, but wish to stock up on a similar powder.  To clarify I don't shoot competitively but I like plinking.  I like the plinking to be accurate and relatively clean burning.  I have an ample supply of XM195 and 855 for TEOTOAWKI scenarios but would like to conserve it.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it's ironic that all of us stack ammo deep and hoard guns for a war where a single bullet won't even be fired. No joke
View Quote

Um

I stack ammo (and components) deep so I can shoot, maintain proficiency, and compete through consecutive Democrat presidencies.

I buy guns for shooting them, not hoarding them.

How many gunfights do you think you're going to survive in this apocalyptic fantasy to need a hoard?

OP, you should buy as much of it as you can afford. It doesn't go bad. This panic may be over in 3 years or it may last 10. I stacked deep over the last few years but I'm still trying to at least replenish what I use, and would like to stack deeper if possible.

W231 is a great pistol powder. Go buy 'em out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
First choice 231.   awesome awesome powder for 38 and 9mm
Second choice 244.
Third Bullseye.  This is my third choice out of those listed, but not third choice if I had more to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]

New topic; To support .223/.556 55 grain FMJ boattail reloading.  The have in stock the following:

1. Alliant Power Pro 4000-MR (magnum rifle powder, probably not a good choice)

2. Alliant Power Pro Varmint

3. Hodgdon H380

4. Hodgdon Leverevolution

5. Hodgdon Superforance  (1 jug of 1lb)

Of these five, is there a best for my application?  I still have about 7 lbs of Accurate 2230, but wish to stock up on a similar powder.  To clarify I don't shoot competitively but I like plinking.  I like the plinking to be accurate and relatively clean burning.  I have an ample supply of XM195 and 855 for TEOTOAWKI scenarios but would like to conserve it.
View Quote
Alliant Power Pro Varmint...... because Alliant actually has data on their website.. the others do not...I have not used any of those.  I generally steer clear of powder thats not designed with a caliber in mind.... not saying data is not available... what I am saying, during a time of panic, its probably not in your best interest to start re-inventing the wheel, especially when you can get other choice.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Alliant Power Pro Varmint...... because Alliant actually has data on their website.. the others do not...I have not used any of those.  I generally steer clear of powder thats not designed with a caliber in mind.... not saying data is not available... what I am saying, during a time of panic, its probably not in your best interest to start re-inventing the wheel, especially when you can get other choice.

View Quote

I've been search engine researching and basically came to the same conclusion that Power Pro Varmint may be the best choice offered for .223/.556 reloads.  The link below has lots of Varmint information.  I know it's only one guy's opinion but he's pretty convincing.

NatoreLoading Varmint
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
First choice 231.   awesome awesome powder for 38 and 9mm
Second choice 244.
Third Bullseye.  This is my third choice out of those listed, but not third choice if I had more to choose from.
View Quote

I purchased their entire inventory of 1 jug of Win 231 and 3 jugs of Win 244.  It seems Bullseye is the overwhelming favorite over the other options including Winchester WFS.

Monday I'll purchase some Bullseye and Alliant Varmint.

Many thanks to all that assisted in this decision.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
231 and  Bullseye
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Still finding what I prefer in bulk at PV.

Of the powders you listed 231 is a very versatile powder that I grew up with.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I too have used autocomp quite a bit because that’s what I could find after sandy hook. It’s a little dirty, but it shoots well for 9 and .45. 5gr with 115 fmj does well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#36]
This morning I called the Alliant tech support line and was advised their Varmint powder supports the 55 gr boat tail projectile with 24 gr of powder in the 223/556 round.  Maybe a little more than 24gr for a hotter load, but the 24 is supposed to make a good plinking round.  I'll first try that recipe.

Today I stopped by and purchased four lbs of Bullseye plus 10 lbs of Alliant Varmint for the .223 loads.  Another guy pulled 1 lb of Varmint off the shelf and I got the rest.  Two other guys there were buying Bullseye but we left about 6 on the shelf.  There remains a lot of the Accucomp but I declined it.

With the pistol powder I already had I should have enough to last a long time.  My current holdings of rifle powder exceeds my available holdings of primers but hopefully in a couple years they will again become available.

Thank you all for your help in determining my best options.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I loaded some .223 rounds using 24gr of the Aliant Power Pro Varmint powder behind 55gr jacketed bullets.  Today at ~100 yards I fired 6 rounds of steel cased Wolf ammo at the RH target then 6 rounds of the Varmint loaded rounds at an adjoining target.  I'm using a 14.5" barreled AR15 with a non-magnified red-dot scope rested across the hood of my truck, so I don't expect exceptional results for either.  (and no, I didn't shoot a hole in my hood)

I chose the 24gr of the Alliant PP Varmint as a start because the tech support for Aliant powders recommended it.  

I found the cheap Wolf ammo grouped to the LH side of the target while my Varmint loaded rounds were more scattered on it's target.  I know that the variability I saw may simply be my shooting skills.  I'll shoot some more when I can using a bench rest for more controlled shots.

Speer Bullets lists a range between 24.7gr to 27.3gr of this powder

Speer Bullets

This guy used Varmint behind 52gr bullets with good results.

AR15 Link

Would you guys try heavier powder loads?  26gr would be right in the middle of the Speer Bullets data.  These reloaded rounds will be used for general plinking fun allowing me to save my factory loaded ammo for other needs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Would you guys try heavier powder loads?  26gr would be right in the middle of the Speer Bullets data.  These reloaded rounds will be used for general plinking fun allowing me to save my factory loaded ammo for other needs.
View Quote

I always do a load workup, no matter what, and do not load to recipe.  So I'd load 10 cartridges in each powder level, from 24 to book max load (ish) in 0.5 grain increments.  I shoot two 5-shot groups at each load and check groups, watching for pressure signs as I go.  I try and shoot a group of 5 at each powder level, then repeat again.  This makes sure any bad groups are not back to back because I was tired, or windy, or just had a bad rest, etc.

Why not get the most accurate load you can?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#39]
FALARAK, your post is not a waste of site resources.  

In the absence of someone else who had already explored the answer to my question your advise is solid and will be followed.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#40]
This same local store still has Winchester WSF and Winchester 296 on the shelf.  I currently have more than 4,000 SPP and more powder than needed to consume the primers.

But, considering the current and unknown future conditions, should I buy a few more lbs of powder?  

The WSF seems good for 9mm, which is my primary load.  The online reviews are generally positive with some just okay.

WSF

Attachment Attached File

The 296 says is for large handgun loads.  For 357 Magnum, which I reload some, it has in my opinion very high velocities.  No Winchester load data for 9mm or 40 S&W.

Attachment Attached File

I think the 296 is for rifle loads but the WSF looks interesting for 9mm and 40 S&W loads.

What say you guys?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This same local store still has Winchester WSF and Winchester 296 on the shelf.  I currently have more than 4,000 SPP and more powder than needed to consume the primers.

But, considering the current and unknown future conditions, should I buy a few more lbs of powder?  

The WSF seems good for 9mm, which is my primary load.  The online reviews are generally positive with some just okay.

WSF

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263131/Winchester_WSF_JPG-1781631.JPG

The 296 says is for large handgun loads.  For 357 Magnum, which I reload some, it has in my opinion very high velocities.  No Winchester load data for 9mm or 40 S&W.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263131/Winchester_296_JPG-1781633.JPG
I think the 296 is for rifle loads but the WSF looks interesting for 9mm and 40 S&W loads.

What say you guys?
View Quote

W296/H110 is a fantastic powder for full power magnum loads. I use it for .357 Mag and .454 Casull.

It's not a good choice for 9mm or .40.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

W296/H110 is a fantastic powder for full power magnum loads. I use it for .357 Mag and .454 Casull.

It's not a good choice for 9mm or .40.
View Quote

What's your load data for 357 Mag?  Per the data I posted above it's way too strong to my needs but I'm interested in how it works for you.  I load nothing larger than 357.

I stopped by the store this morning and noted 6 lbs of Winchester WSF still on the shelf.  Another gentleman picked up three leaving three.  Seeing the supply is fast dwindling down I purchased two leaving one there.

Now there's left about 8 lb of W296 and about 20 lb of Autocomp.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What's your load data for 357 Mag?  
View Quote

I run 19.3 grains of W296 under the 125 gr XTP. This gets me about 1400 fps from a ported 4" barrel.

I also load 17.2 gr of W296 under 158 gr Sierra JHC bullets.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I run 19.3 grains of W296 under the 125 gr XTP. This gets me about 1400 fps from a ported 4" barrel.

I also load 17.2 gr of W296 under 158 gr Sierra JHC bullets.

View Quote

That's good go know, thank you.  I'd be shooting it out of a S&W revolver 686 with 4" non-ported barrel.  I'll consider picking up 1 lb of W296 next week when I'm in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Grab as much of both Bullseye and BE-86 while you can. It's going to be a long, long, dry 4+ years ahead.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought 4 lb of Bullseye and there is no more available.  There is still some Allient SB-86 on the shelf, but it seems to be a hot load for 9mm.  I'll look around to see what others have loaded with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You do know that Alliant load data only shows the top load?

That means you begin loading 10% less for the start load.

Don't know why they do that, but they do.
View Quote

That's good to know, and there's lots of love online for BE-86.  I might have to pick up a few of them.  If not for use, maybe for trade later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#50]
You must be hitting up the same place I go to pick up some powders
Normally they have decent stock but it’s been thin even there.  PSA has never had a good reloading section same for every place else on Woodruff.
  I
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top