Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2018 4:01:13 PM EDT
Is it possible to live stream with a thermal optic? I own 2 different FLIR products and would love to be able to do this. After seeing the release of NG Owl I am hoping to be able to use my PTS 233 in the same capacity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Pulsars Trails can live stream to a phone or tablet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use VLC to display the video from a PTS233 on a tablet with USB support or a laptop.  Instead of selecting Play from the Open Media window, select Stream and configure the source and destination.  Never tried it but don't see why it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Scan converter for realtime, flip factory for file handling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use VLC to display the video from a PTS233 on a tablet with USB support or a laptop.  Instead of selecting Play from the Open Media window, select Stream and configure the source and destination.  Never tried it but don't see why it wouldn't work.
View Quote
I have the same question as the OP but I literally didn't understand a single damn thing you just said lol. Can you dumb that answer down?? What is VLC?

I'm still shopping for a thermal and one of the features I like on the Pulsar scopes is the wireless Stream Vision app, but does it actually work well? Can other scopes (PTS233?) display the image on another device, with or without a wire?
Edit: I'm probably a retard but I don't understand what SpanshInquistion said either. Was that English?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I will mess around with those options this weekend and will report back.

I tried to hook up the PTS 233 to the USB input in my Ford truck but it was a not supported, damn it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will mess around with those options this weekend and will report back.

I tried to hook up the PTS 233 to the USB input in my Ford truck but it was a not supported, damn it.
View Quote
I have seen a truck running the streaming image from a Pulsar.

https://www.facebook.com/cole.justice.984/posts/300302230476070
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have the same question as the OP but I literally didn't understand a single damn thing you just said lol. Can you dumb that answer down?? What is VLC?

I'm still shopping for a thermal and one of the features I like on the Pulsar scopes is the wireless Stream Vision app, but does it actually work well? Can other scopes (PTS233?) display the image on another device, with or without a wire?
Edit: I'm probably a retard but I don't understand what SpanshInquistion said either. Was that English?
View Quote
VLC is a video player, similar to Windows Media Player or others.  To display the USB video from the PTS233, connect the USBC cable between the scope and the computer, then open VLC.  Select Media/Open Capture Device.  You can then either hit Play and display the live stream on your computer, or select Stream from the Play drop-down menu (or do both).  VLC will also allow you to record the PTS video at a quality level similar to what is seen live.

AFAIK, PTS cannot currently transmit a wireless video stream.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

VLC is a video player, similar to Windows Media Player or others.  To display the USB video from the PTS233, connect the USBC cable between the scope and the computer, then open VLC.  Select Media/Open Capture Device.  You can then either hit Play and display the live stream on your computer, or select Stream from the Play drop-down menu (or do both).  VLC will also allow you to record the PTS video at a quality level similar to what is seen live.

View Quote
Upon reading this just now I immediately pulled over to hook my laptop to my PTS to stream video using VLC.

I actually use VLC in conjunction with my flir Vue as a means of navigation from my vehicle. Flir on the Rooftop of my truck connected to the laptop via video-to-USB adapter and use the direct show sequence on VLC.

For tonight: Open capture device, direct show, "flir video" was a direct show option to select but it didn't work for me.

Could you please be a little more specific with the instructions to get this to work?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Should be straightforward.  Open Capture Device, DirectShow, FLIR Video, Play.  I can also open the video in the FLIR  Boson App.  What OS are you using?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
VLC worked for me
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Should be straightforward.  Open Capture Device, DirectShow, FLIR Video, Play.  I can also open the video in the FLIR  Boson App.  What OS are you using?
View Quote
I thought it should be straightforward too.

Im using windows 10, and have the latest version of VLC on the laptop. I can stream using the boson app but I get this error with VLC.

Attachment Attached File

Its not the end of the world I was more curious about it than anything.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Deleted VLC and reloaded and PTS displayed correctly.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that. I don't have a PTS233, still thermal shopping, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I bought one and just wanted to know if it was possible. I'm more interested in a Pulsar and I understand they have a dedicated app for live streaming on the Trails, but I'm not sure how well it works and I assume it is dependent on a good cellular signal which isn't always available in the field. My goal, and what I think the OP was asking about, was to be able to scan with my rifle mounted thermal but be able to view the image remotely on a smart phone or tablet rather than having to peer through the optic itself. That seems like it would be much more comfortable over a 20-30 minute stand. The Pulsar app was just one of several features pushing me towards Pulsar but I wondered if remote view by wire was possible with the pulsars or other brands. Remote viewing seems like a great option but I don't hear of people doing it so maybe it doesn't work well for one reason or another?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
It seems you would want a Pulsar

My hope of live streaming the image was based of the new Night Goggle Owl. I want to be able to drive around my farm and scan for critters in an efficient and fun manner. The glass of a vehicle limits the field of view and there are often muktiple people in the truck and limited thermals. By streaming an image we can all share in the experience and be able to see much more.

My plan is to mount my thermal on a monopod and stream the image to a tablet. Not as sexy as the Owl but effective, I might by one to use as a magnetic pan base.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for that. I don't have a PTS233, still thermal shopping, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I bought one and just wanted to know if it was possible. I'm more interested in a Pulsar and I understand they have a dedicated app for live streaming on the Trails, but I'm not sure how well it works and I assume it is dependent on a good cellular signal which isn't always available in the field. My goal, and what I think the OP was asking about, was to be able to scan with my rifle mounted thermal but be able to view the image remotely on a smart phone or tablet rather than having to peer through the optic itself. That seems like it would be much more comfortable over a 20-30 minute stand. The Pulsar app was just one of several features pushing me towards Pulsar but I wondered if remote view by wire was possible with the pulsars or other brands. Remote viewing seems like a great option but I don't hear of people doing it so maybe it doesn't work well for one reason or another?
View Quote
I have the Pulsar Trail XP38 and have been using it exactly the way you are describing. I will sit In a ground blind with my gun on a tripod system and my iPad in my lap. I can then just scan the dark field by panning my gun back and forth on the tripod. Works flawlessly. My brother has an IR-Hunter and is super jealous of the features on my Pulsar. The Pulsar creates its own WiFi network that you join on your device. It does not rely on cellular. The streaming is about a second or less delayed, and the resolution isn’t QUITE as good as looking through the scope, but overall the system really works. These features, combined with the battery pack system and internal recording leave no wires or saddle pouches to mount to your gun. I am extremely happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
In addition, Pulsar's own WiFi network with your viewing device is how Pulsar updates are loaded into the Pulsar unit. No cell connections/data links required. Just updated the latest firmware on my Pulsars. Very easy and convenient.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have the Pulsar Trail XP38 and have been using it exactly the way you are describing. I will sit In a ground blind with my gun on a tripod system and my iPad in my lap. I can then just scan the dark field by panning my gun back and forth on the tripod. Works flawlessly. My brother has an IR-Hunter and is super jealous of the features on my Pulsar. The Pulsar creates its own WiFi network that you join on your device. It does not rely on cellular. The streaming is about a second or less delayed, and the resolution isn’t QUITE as good as looking through the scope, but overall the system really works. These features, combined with the battery pack system and internal recording leave no wires or saddle pouches to mount to your gun. I am extremely happy with it.
View Quote
Awesome. That is exactly what I was wanting to hear on the Pulsar app. Since I'm hijacking the OPs thread let me ask another question. I'm torn between the XQ38 (cheaper and more magnification) and the XP38 vs XP50 (better image and both wider FOV than the XQ38 but lots more money). Did you choose the XP38 for the wider FOV because you are scanning with it? If you had to do it over would you still get the 38 over the 50 even if they were the same price? I'll be using it for coyote hunting so smaller targets and longer ranges than pigs.
Thanks

Edit for clarification
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Awesome. That is exactly what I was wanting to hear on the Pulsar app. Since I'm hijacking the OPs thread let me ask another question. I'm torn between the XQ38 (cheaper and more magnification) and the XP38 vs XP50 (better image and both wider FOV than the XQ38 but lots more money). Did you choose the XP38 for the wider FOV because you are scanning with it? If you had to do it over would you still get the 38 over the 50 even if they were the same price? I'll be using it for coyote hunting so smaller targets and longer ranges than pigs.
Thanks

Edit for clarification
View Quote
I would buy the best image quality you can afford. More magnification doesn’t get you very far if the image quality is already poorer in comparison. I got the XP38 because it was right in my price range and still 640resolution. I think you’ll be happy with either of the XP’s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top