Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2019 9:58:59 AM EDT
Liberty has a fairly new video out showing the strength of the locking bar door system they are using rather than the round pins they used to use.  I think the square bars are now used in all the Liberty safes.  Not sure about the National Security line.

Anyway, the video is a "pry test" that seems to be a copy of the Sturdy "forklift" test from a few years ago.

I like the idea of the locking bar vs pins since the locking bar is a solid piece rather than pins that are welded or bolted to the internal lockwork.

New Military Style Locking Bars 1
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
When did they start using the flat bars?  (Off to check my liberty safe when I get home lol)
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing I've wondered why safe makers don't do, is inset the door farther into the safe, so it's harder or impossible to get a bar into the crack around the door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing I've wondered why safe makers don't do, is inset the door farther into the safe, so it's harder or impossible to get a bar into the crack around the door.
View Quote
That's what Ft Knox does on the M2 series. Seems to make sense and I also wonder why other companies don't do likewise.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When did they start using the flat bars?  (Off to check my liberty safe when I get home lol)
View Quote
As far as I know the change just took place in 2018. I think they started with the flat locking bars in the bottom end budget safes in 2017.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Round shiny locking pins are for marketing.  Often they are attached to a weak mechanism in cheap RSC boxes.

Huge pins or bars don't do much if the door and walls are thin.  The door is often pounded in, not pried out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
My Treadlock has rectangular bars. Bought it in 1993-1994.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Round shiny locking pins are for marketing.  Often they are attached to a weak mechanism in cheap RSC boxes.

Huge pins or bars don't do much if the door and walls are thin.  The door is often pounded in, not pried out.
View Quote
It would make sense that the 4" bars have more surface area that the 1" pins so the door should be that much more secure against pry attack. Also, from the few pictures I've seen, safes fail at the juncture between the pins and the locking system. Pins themselves don't fail but the bolts or even the thin lock work holding the pins in place fail.

No comment on the thickness (or lack thereof) of the doors. I don't know if Liberty is using any sort of internal plate or not to reinforce. As far as I know the door is nothing more than 10 or 11 guage sheet metal with some sheetrock inside. I think the only Liberty safes that use a plate door are the high end National Security.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's what Ft Knox does on the M2 series. Seems to make sense and I also wonder why other companies don't do likewise.
View Quote
Cost... it's all about cost for many... deeper recessed door means less volume and a small amount more steel. Nobody wants to pay more money for less volume. Even though it would only be marginally more cost and marginal volume loss, the race to the bottom in safes is a tight one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let's keep it between the lines, Sparky.

Just about every gun "safe" out there is an RSC, regardless of the style of locking mechanism.  Even Ft. Knox "safes" are RSCs.

If you want an actual, UL-rated safe, especially one big enough to hold long guns, you're into six-figure territory for a new one, plus reinforcements for floors and professional installation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just about every gun "safe" out there is an RSC, regardless of the style of locking mechanism.  Even Ft. Knox "safes" are RSCs.

If you want an actual, UL-rated safe, especially one big enough to hold long guns, you're into six-figure territory for a new one, plus reinforcements for floors and professional installation.
View Quote
True although the RSC rating is a minimum starting point and not an absolute. A budget Browning sold by Bass Pro and a Ft Knox Titan are both RSCs but I don't think anyone would say they are equal products in terms of security.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cost... it's all about cost for many... deeper recessed door means less volume and a small amount more steel. Nobody wants to pay more money for less volume. Even though it would only be marginally more cost and marginal volume loss, the race to the bottom in safes is a tight one.
View Quote
I don't think a recessed door equals less volume.  At least not in the case of the Ft Knox.  The M2 plate door is more or less the standard Ft Knox fire door minus the layers of sheetrock and then the outer skin that covers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My Treadlock has rectangular bars. Bought it in 1993-1994.
View Quote
Can't be.  Liberty is on to something new and improved!  Of course Treadlock didn't come up with that either.  Square/rectangular bolts have been used for hundreds of years.

And these types of tests can be somewhat misleading.  Just like a magician hides the "magic", safe manufacturers like to hide the weaknesses by distracting your attention to things that make the safe appear to be stronger than it actually is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Square/rectangular bolts have been used for hundreds of years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Square/rectangular bolts have been used for hundreds of years.
Browning has been using square bolts in their higher end safes for quite awhile so I know Liberty didn't invent the idea.  Still, I'm glad to see they're (hopefully) doing things that make their safes a better value to the customer.

Quoted:

Just like a magician hides the "magic", safe manufacturers like to hide the weaknesses by distracting your attention to things that make the safe appear to be stronger than it actually is.
Well, sure.  Big fancy bars or bolts don't do much good if the thieves bypass them.

I happened to stop by a locksmith/gun safe shop awhile back and got to talking to one of the salesmen about safes and durability, etc.  He took me into the back and let me look at a recent safe that had come in for warranty.  It was an older model from a well known and very respected brand.  It was breeched by cutting the top open.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Liberty has a fairly new video out showing the strength of the locking bar door system they are using rather than the round pins they used to use.  I think the square bars are now used in all the Liberty safes.  Not sure about the National Security line.

Anyway, the video is a "pry test" that seems to be a copy of the Sturdy "forklift" test from a few years ago.

I like the idea of the locking bar vs pins since the locking bar is a solid piece rather than pins that are welded or bolted to the internal lockwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_c77Y-w8sE
View Quote
The Liberty test really shows just how strong Sturdy's design really is by comparison to those shown on the video including the Liberty safe. Liberty's test distributed the tension fairly equally across two points on the door. In contrast, Sturdy's test puts all tension on the weakest point of the door with probably 11000 Lbs of tension (fork truck is rated for 10K but Terry said he saw it lift 11K) and the Sturdy safe is still functional after the test is completed. The camera was focused on the scale but it appears the Liberty safe had failed much sooner than their claims since items could have been removed from the safe at a point in the video before their claimed failure point.

Don't expect to see a Sturdy safe in any of their strengths tests but that would be awesome to see. For those interested, here is the Sturdy's forklift pull test video referenced by the OP.

https://youtu.be/L9FslzOGzqw
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't expect to see a Sturdy safe in any of their strengths tests but that would be awesome to see. For those interested, here is the Sturdy's forklift pull test video referenced by the OP.
View Quote
Another "forklift style" test.  I wonder if this is why Liberty went with the locking bars across the product line.

Champion Safe vs. Liberty Safe Tractor Pull
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Six figures for a TL gun safe?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Six figures for a TL gun safe?
View Quote
If you include the cents.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't know why safe manufacturers make a big deal about doors...I'd just get a power saw and zip through the sheet metal.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

6-figures? What kind of safe are you pricing out?

A TL-15 with no fire rating can be had new for low 4-figure range, used, 3-figure range. I have  TL-15 plate steel safe I got for $350, and my dad has a TL-30 concrete composite safe I got him for $500. Both are of an appropriate size to hold many long guns.

Quoted:

I don't think a recessed door equals less volume.  At least not in the case of the Ft Knox.  The M2 plate door is more or less the standard Ft Knox fire door minus the layers of sheetrock and then the outer skin that covers.  
If they change the door design they may be able to conserve space, but for an equivalent door design, to recess it further into the body it's going to HAVE to have less volume. The other option is to extend the body out more which is technically making a larger outer footprint (which is going to cost more money as well).
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You win a ride on the failboat today pal, both of these are under 8k new.

https://www.deansafe.com/ams-rf6528.html

https://thesafehousestore.com/product/browning-tl-30-gun-safe/
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
They had them on the ones I was looking at back in June 18
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking at the Liberty 1776-50 and noticed the tabs instead of bolts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the Liberty 1776-50 and noticed the tabs instead of bolts.
View Quote
I guess I'm not seeing the purpose of the 1776 other than it is a "budget" version of the Colonial.  Fewer locking bars (no bar on the bottom of the door) and a lower fire rating but otherwise it seems to be the same body and door construction.

Liberty no doubt knows its market and what the target consumer wants but, personally, I'd rather see them go the other way.  Make a "budget" version of the Presidential.  Something like a Fatboy but with the 3/16 body would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]
The liberty I purchased from Cabelas last year has the military flat locking bars. I now prefer that over the round bars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#26]
 military flat locking bars  
View Quote
What makes them military?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What makes them military?
View Quote
Probably nothing other than that's what Liberty calls them.  Could it be that the bars were the result of some .mil solicitation that Liberty took part in?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
 Could it be that the bars were the result of some .mil solicitation that Liberty took part in?  
View Quote
The Military (and other government entities) use GSA rated safes.  You're into real safe territory there, and likely not anything a gun safe manufacturer would be involved with.

That was my first thought as well.  Marketing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Their Centurion line has had them since introduction.  I bought one in 2014.  Honestly a good entry level storage cabinet (not RSC/TL rated though).
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Their Centurion line has had them since introduction.  I bought one in 2014.  Honestly a good entry level storage cabinet (not RSC/TL rated though).
View Quote
Yep.  I think the Centurion line was in response to complaints about their entry-level safes being imported.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess I'm not seeing the purpose of the 1776 other than it is a "budget" version of the Colonial.  Fewer locking bars (no bar on the bottom of the door) and a lower fire rating but otherwise it seems to be the same body and door construction.

Liberty no doubt knows its market and what the target consumer wants but, personally, I'd rather see them go the other way.  Make a "budget" version of the Presidential.  Something like a Fatboy but with the 3/16 body would be nice.  
View Quote
Yeah, it comes down to cost.  The 1776 gives me a pretty decent cabinet all thing considered.  It's on sale at my local dealer and they are also running a delivery special.  So to get a 6' tall safe for ~$2k delivered is a deal.  I'm already at my budget limit and it's to big of a jump in price to go up a model, the value is not there, at least to me given my budget.  But I do agree, a "budget" version of the top model would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The 1776 gives me a pretty decent cabinet all thing considered.  It's on sale at my local dealer and they are also running a delivery special.  So to get a 6' tall safe for ~$2k delivered is a deal..
View Quote
Just for comparison what is the dealer's price for the Colonial 50?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#34]
They are running a sale on the bronze Colonial 50 for $2099 and that includes the door panel (I think they all do), electrical outlet, 6 LED wand kit and "upgraded" electrical lock.  I haven't decided on mechanical vs electrical, but I think the electric lock is different between the 1776 and the Colonial.  I'm going back today to talk to the owner and get the final drive out price, he wasn't there yesterday when I went back to confirm prices.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I ended up putting a deposit down on the Colonial 50 in burnt bronze, it'll be about a month before it comes in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ended up putting a deposit down on the Colonial 50 in burnt bronze, it'll be about a month before it comes in.
View Quote
Probably a good idea as long as it didn't completely blow your budget.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#37]
It did but buy once cry once.  Well, this is my second safe, but you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Pendleton is using the flat locking bars, too.

Jessie Harrison x Pendleton Safes
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I feel so inadequate with my Meilink's round bars.  4700 pounds all for nothing I guess!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Either way, an angle grinder through the side of the safe is the fastest and easiest way in.... 30-60 seconds and done.   Manufacturers like to show off pry resistance because they can make it *look* tough.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Either way, an angle grinder through the side of the safe is the fastest and easiest way in.... 30-60 seconds and done.   Manufacturers like to show off pry resistance because they can make it *look* tough.
View Quote
The point here is that a 2 ton safe can be open with an angle grinder but without an angle grinder or other power tool a 1/2 ton Sturdy safe can't be opened.

** typo edit removed an extra 'or'
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I find it hard to believe that an exploitable hole (one big enough to actually pull guns through or bypass lockwork) can be cut in 30-60 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that an exploitable hole (one big enough to actually pull guns through or bypass lockwork) can be cut in 30-60 seconds.
View Quote
30-60 would be optimistic. 3min would be a cakewalk and that factors in time for a cutting wheel change.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The last Browning gun safe I opened out of a fire involved me cutting an almost 1 square foot hole around the lock area.  Probably took 2 minutes and I didn't have to change wheels.  I have blades for a circular saw that will cut up to 1/4" plate, 6" in 30 seconds.  Steel half as thin cuts twice as fast.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The last Browning gun safe I opened out of a fire involved me cutting an almost 1 square foot hole around the lock area.  Probably took 2 minutes and I didn't have to change wheels.  I have blades for a circular saw that will cut up to 1/4" plate, 6" in 30 seconds.  Steel half as thin cuts twice as fast.
View Quote
No cable or remote relocker in this particular safe?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#46]
 No cable or remote relocker in this particular safe?

View Quote
Very few gun safes have these types of relocks.  Most have a simple mechanical relock within a few inches of the lock itself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Very few gun safes have these types of relocks.  Most have a simple mechanical relock within a few inches of the lock itself.
View Quote
I believe the Ft Knox Defender series and above all have a relocker built into the door.

Of course a cable or other device that jams the door's bolts is worthless in an attack against the body.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thinking about this fact logically, it makes sense that most RSC's do not contain a cut attack relocker. Unless I'm mistaken, cutting a section out of the door is not part of the RSC test standard. So why include a feature that's not required to pass the test?

With that in mind, what do we know of the RSCII rating?  I know the attack time is doubled as are the attackers. The tool compliment is different too. So does the new rating require some type of protection against simply cutting the lock work off the door?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#49]
My Colonial 50 was finally delivered this week.  It's outstanding!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics!
I’ve been looking around myself, Liberty, superior and ft Knox. Will see about visiting the safe store that carries fr knox this weekend or so
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top