Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2018 9:06:53 AM EDT
I’m considering buying an M1A for a hunting trip, but want to make sure it will fit in an case that won’t cost me bulk baggage fees with the airlines. Would someone please tell me the length of an M1A barreled action from the front of the muzzle device to the heal of the receiver? As well as the overall length of the stock. I may go with a scout if a standard won’t fit and a scout will. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Overall length of the standard rifle (22" barrel, GI flash hider) is just over 44 inches.

Stock length from buttplate to ferrule is 33.5 inches, or just over 32.5 inches if you remove the folding part of the buttplate.
Barrelled action length is 32 inches, heel of receiver to end of flash hider.

Basically, it's two subassemblies of 32 - 33 inches long, so you don't gain anything by going to the scout version, because the stock is still full length.

Other dimensions you might need:
Height of the buttplate is 5.5 inches, plus about 1.5 inches to the top rail of the stock, i.e., you'll need a box at least 7 inches tall.
Barrelled action height without trigger group is just over 3 inches; with trigger group installed, it's about 5 inches.
Width is 2.5 inches if you dismount the oprod, add an inch if you leave it installed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, just what I needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top